Thread: Sticky Tulips

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sticky Tulips

My last two machine restorations have the same problem. The tulips don't 'close' easily and stick in the open position with out 'releasing the ball' to make the jackpot work. Generally the vibration of the shooter shakes it loose but often a second ball drops into the open tulip and then it pays twice and of course remains open again. This obviously affects the odds of the machine and can be frustrating for the player.

After a bit of experimenting with one of the tulips that stuck the most freqently I determined the problem. Obviously time and use had worn down the plastic edge on the inside of the tulip where the seesaw ramp catches and 'pulls the tulip closed'. Thus the metal portion 'hangs up' on the worn plastic edge until the vibrations (or another ball) shakes it loose.

Anyone else have this problem? Do you have a resolution? I thougt about making some 'bends' in the metal or filing down edge on the metal where it catches on the plastic. I don't think working on the 'plastic part' would be right way to go, but I may be mistaken.

Before I jump in and do something that maybe a permenant break instead of quick fix, I was hoping one of my fellow pachinko addicts could shed on light on how they resolved the same problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Rusty Key

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sticky Tulips

had the same problem on one of mine

took out the tulip and adjusted the metal wings from the back side

works like a champ now

played it for years like that before i had the nerv to try and fix now i wish i would have tryed it long agoe

good luck to ya
    Last edited by Moparformances; 02-09-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So Mo,

Did you flare the fork ends of the metal ramp or spread it at the top close to the flat part of the ramp? I ask because it seems to be hanging up close to where the 'fork tong' attaches to the flat part of the ramp.

Thanks,
    Rusty Key

6. The following user says "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sorry Rusty its been a few years since i did it

i cant really rember how.. i do rember that wile holding the tulip in my hands i could hand feed the balls threw it to make sure it worked the right way..

hope this makes sense
    Last edited by Moparformances; 02-09-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah.. makes sense.. your method of testing was how I determined the problem. I'm just gun shy about bending a fork that I may weaken it or worse yet break one. I am hoping someone can say ' Oh yeah, just bend it once here and it will work fine!'.

Thanks!
    Rusty Key

10. The following user says "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i was never worried aobut bending the taps

it was a verry small adjustment

seem a little bit when a long ways

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Depending upon the construction of the tulip you can sometimes "grease" them up a little. If you have the tulips that are put together with screws or tabs you can take them apart and polish the metal with metal polish and the plastic with plastic polish. This will make the two surfaces glide past each other better and not bind as often. Also if there are rough edges you can use very fine file or sand paper to give you a better edge.
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

14. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to jwegger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know that Mudfud has successfully added a new tulip to an old machine
    YouTube - pachinko tulips

But i was wondering if anyone has successfully REMOVED a damaged tulip and replaced it?
    Any suggestions on how to go about it?

The single shot that i am working on has tulips that are very rusty, and it would be better to replace them.
    (That also gives me the excuse to go searching for a parts machine! And if a great deal comes along... Well, You know the routine!)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The tulips are fairly easy to replace, some are held in by small screws others by small nails.
    Screws - unscrew them and remove the tulip, sometimes the heads are damaged by all the balls that have passed over them. you may need to use alternate means to get the screw out.
    Nails - use care in pulling hte nails so you don't damage them or the playfield.
    Things to watch for - some Tulips have ramps that run to the left, right and center you will need to replace with a tulip that has a ramp that runs the same way or you may have problems when you put the machine back together.
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

17. The following user says "Thanks" to jwegger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the advice to date. I have removed all the tulips from my two most recent machines which was the first time I had done this.

From what I've read so far, I think what I am going to do is to determine the one that sticks the most and then try some of the suggestions above. If I have success with the one (and don't trash it in the process) I'll move on to the others.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had the same problem on my second Nashijin- I took needle nose pliers and ever so gently opened up the tabs while they were still mounted in the play field ( ignorance is bliss) this solved the problem for me- it took some adjusting but it worked- been playing that game for weeks and have yet to have that tulip stick... just my 2 cents nad what worked for me...

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to slawnski

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For me it was almost the same as the guy above me. The ball would stick and the tulip would not open/close properly. With the tulip still munted but firmly supported I pulled the two pins apart and everything worked perfect. I will make a diagram.

Looking from above into the tulip I saw this,

[ I_I ]
    [ \ / ]
    The \ / represents the prongs that open and close the flaps and when set proper, let a ball fall through. Here is what it looked like after a pair pliers slipped in.
    [ |_| ]
    [ / \ ]

I hope I have made myself clear.

As always,
    Dylan

22. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Dylan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bumping this because I have a sticky tulip that, other than the lights, is made of plastic. I cleaned it but it still sticks - only when the ball goes in while it's "closed." A tap and it opens and drops the ball out the side.

Don't see how to take it apart without destroying it. Any plastic lube that might get it moving?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyearl View Post
    Bumping this because I have a sticky tulip that, other than the lights, is made of plastic. I cleaned it but it still sticks - only when the ball goes in while it's "closed." A tap and it opens and drops the ball out the side.

Don't see how to take it apart without destroying it. Any plastic lube that might get it moving?

Thanks!
    pics please

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I took this guy's advice and VERY carefully sprayed some silicone spray on the two moving pieces and it seems all good. It worked a lot better than silicone grease, which gummed things up and made them worse.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infsil.html

Worked ten times in a row. I'm moving on now.

Thanks!