Thread: Monkey's Done

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Monkey's Done

Well, after spending a few hours on my latest machines, I finally got the 'Parachuting Monkey' one done. I've actually taken this one a bit farther in the restoration than I have on others. This was because this machine was the worse one I have when it comes to the frame. It appears that it was in a garage and the bottom board was sitting in water for a period of time. Photos attached.

This is really a cool machine. It is 'tight' but once you get one pocket open, it opens others and the winnings kind of pile up. A ball in the top pocket makes the airplane spin and then drops into one of three holes down to where the Monkey is. If it goes down the center, it drops behind the Monkey and flips it 180 degrees. There are then 4 holes that any of these could go down, the ones on the outside open outer pockets, the center two will open the alligator and the left lower pocket. The next ball into the open alligator will on the pocket on the right. A ball into the upper two side pockets will open the pocket just below it and a subsequent ball into that pocket opens the other lower side pocket.

Like I said... lots of action with this one. Made in 1977 it's a Nishijin type C. I think the previous owners of these two machines messed with the payout controls as the one that was supposed to pay out 13 paid 15 and the other vice versa. In my restoration, I put the parts back like they should be.

One other neat thing about the Monkey machine. If you notice on the play cell there is no bumper to stop hard shots. Instead there is a 'Foul' door where the ball is re-routed back into the upper player tray. When I first got it, the shooter was barely strong enough to make it to the foul door which I found wasn't challenging enough. I adjusted the spring on the shooter and now with out a bit of control, the balls just run out the side. This is the first machine I've seen like this.

Anyone else have this machine or one that functions like it?

Later,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Monkey's Done

Really Really nice machine!
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Rusty-

Great job! The machine looks awesome!! I agree with most folks here that the joys of vintage Pachinkos come in "thirds": 1/3 finding it; 1/3 fixing and restoring it; 1/3 playing it once it is done!!

I do have a machine very much like yours, however the play field has a different theme. If you look at the photos you will see the same palm tree in the upper left corner and the "all 15" light in the upper right. It even has the foul ball chute like yours. I really like this type of play field because you have to use more control and skill when launching the ball.

We named this one "Fowl Dinner" because the center character is a bird of some sort (hence "fowl"), and to the left and right of the bird are two chefs trying to sneak up on it and butcher it - the one on the right has a meat cleaver in his hand. The bird is splashing in water and has fish bones in his stomach (which spin when a ball goes in the top pocket). The odd part of this character is the feet resemble those from a turkey (they are not webbed), but the bird ate a fish.

Anyway, it's a fun machine and is much like yours as you can see. If anyone knows more about the theme of this one I would sure like to hear about it. I figure that it must be based on a fairy tale or childrens story of some kind.

Again, great job on your restoration!! The machine looks absolutely great.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is a nice machine.i do not own a nishijin,but i might have to get one.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

unusual machine... Very nice action on the play field
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really Nice restoration,

I find that 'foul door trap thingy' really intriguing and have never seen that before, sounds like it adds an extra dimension to the play

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My Model C also has the Foul feature:
    Power to Spare!

13. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to batterymaker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's a cool looking machine! I guess the 'foul feature' isn't as rare as I thought it was!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've never seen the foul feature before. Interesting. Great job on the restore Rusty. I'm getting close to starting on mine. I'm not sure I can be as brave as you are to take everything apart. We'll see.
    Brent G.- Roswell, NM 5 Vintages, 6 Moderns
    Need an Arepachi, and a Power Flush (Got It!) Sinbad pinball (Got It!)!!!