Thread: extra wires on a sophia B

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default extra wires on a sophia B

hi again.

started examining the sophia B that I picked up, with the pig/boar in the center.

found what I think are extra wires in the back. I think that someone added extra lights. once I get it cleaned up and trace out the wires for shorts, I can test the theory.

one of the lights added, by the shooter mechanism in the front, I'm guessing is going to light with the tray empty, but I'll have to see (and, note to self, this would be a good place to add the ON light for the transformer on the powerflash)

so, is it true that there were no lights behind the center jackpot mechanism in this model? there are several wires and two bulbs dangling behind the boar face here.

and, are there supposed to be two bulbs in the right upper corner? my powerflash has the same holder, but it has a bulb behind the upper tray for jackpot indicator. I'm guessing that maybe the stock sophia B's had both the low upper tray indicator and the jackpot indicator in the same corner?

thanks for info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: extra wires on a sophia B

On all my Sophia models, there is only one light for the 'hopper empty' notification. I certainly agree that someone added a lot more lights to your machine. On many of these models there is lights behind the center jackpot and many have two. However, there are usually mounting locations and/or holes for the lights to go into. My PowerFlash has the jackpot light over to the side and at the top. It appears that your machine may have been originally set up to have the jackpot light NOT in the center.

I agree with you that getting it all cleaned up and then tracing the wires before disconnecting anything is the right way to go. This way, you can decide if the additional lights add to or distract from the game. I do think, if it was mine, those plastic 'when lit' labels would have to go!

One word of caution. I almost destroyed a section on the back of my PowerFlash from the light I added. In my initial test the bulb was just laying up behind the center jackpot area. As luck would have it, in my test run, the jackpot process hung up (due to other problems) and the light stuck on. I didn't think much about it until I could smell something burning and realized that the light was trying to melt the plastic. So, word to wise, becareful how and where you mount the lights (especially the hopper empty ones) as the heat the generate can be disasterous to your machine.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Rusty Key

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post

I agree with you that getting it all cleaned up and then tracing the wires before disconnecting anything is the right way to go. This way, you can decide if the additional lights add to or distract from the game. I do think, if it was mine, those plastic 'when lit' labels would have to go!

One word of caution. I almost destroyed a section on the back of my PowerFlash from the light I added. In my initial test the bulb was just laying up behind the center jackpot area. As luck would have it, in my test run, the jackpot process hung up (due to other problems) and the light stuck on. I didn't think much about it until I could smell something burning and realized that the light was trying to melt the plastic. So, word to wise, becareful how and where you mount the lights (especially the hopper empty ones) as the heat the generate can be disasterous to your machine.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    hey rusty. you don't like those "jackpot/victory when lit" labels either? I guess dymo labels were cool about 20 years ago. I certainly plan to remove them, and I am soooo hoping the ones that say "reload tray when lit" don't mess up my cell in the upper left corner.

as for the lights dangling under the jackpot cover, I was a bit worried about heat, too, so i'll either fasten them somewhere safe or convert to LED's.

the person that added the lamp down where the shooter is did use some aluminum foil as a heat shield.

I thought about replacing several of the bulbs with LED flashlight bulbs, but the voltage isn't quite right, and the bulbs are about $10 each, and i'm too cheap. maybe i'll find somewhere to buy some clear LEDs in bulk and wire them up to resistors myself.

will post more as I decode the wiring. it's a pretty cell with that boar/pig face. but, I think this is my dirtiest machine to date.
    PachiTalk

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

boy, what a mess the wires were. I was finding shorts in a number of places, and the fuse was on the wrong side of the circuit (the ground side instead of the positive side... are they always that way?)

so, I chopped everything lose, added some new sockets for a couple light bulbs that were shorting, fastened the two bulbs in the jackpot area to the cover, so they do not melt through, and rewired everything from positive through the fuse and then through the leaf switches to the bulbs and then to ground... hours it took me.

also, hours of cleaning. this pachinko must have been in a barn. it smelled like some of the stuff was manure, and there was mud caked on the bottom. guess that's the risk of machines from the central valley.

if I buy anymore pachinkos, they cannot be this dirty. I still have to take down all the accessible tracks and degrease them, as this is the machine that came with the oiled balls.

good news is the boar face is really beautiful and in good shape. it has linkages like rusty mentioned that if you get one side of the face or the other, two tulips open on that same side. very cool. has two bulbs behind it, too.

p.s. I took all the dymo tapes off. there is still some residue that I need some solvent to remove, but the tacky look is gone now.

oh, and the year is 49 on the sticker. what year in the 70's is that?
    PachiTalk

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Showa 49 - 1974 - The Year of the Tiger
    Last edited by compirate; 01-16-2009 at 10:21 AM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to compirate