Thread: New Type of Volume Control One that wont burn up

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Type of Volume Control (One that wont burn up)

Hey all,

Well, i have had real bad luck with radio shack and volume controls (POTS)...

I went to radio shack, and i bought a stereo pot, that was 10k ohms (yes i know, way too much), and the volume was too sensitive, so i returned it, and i got a 1k POT volume control, and it worked while it lasted...

That POT after about 5 minutes of playing the devil may cry slot machine, i hit a big bonus, and needless to say, the volume started to die out, and i could smell smoke, so i opened it up to find the POTS were overheated and burnt out...

Soo after thinking what to do tonight, because my local radio shack closed at 4PM today (its a sunday), i got this real good idea, maybe i can use one of my old resisters i had laying around to limit the volume!

So i found and tested a few different ohm resisters, 1k ohm, 150 ohm, and 100 ohm, well, it turns out the 100 ohm resister worked perfect to limit the volume for my appartment!

I have neighbors that live down stairs from my appartment, and i havent been able to play my machine after 8PM, to prevent him from complaining about the noise... And this resister keeps the volume from blasting.

obviousaly you cannot *control* the volume, it must be set at a specific volume at all times due to it being just a resister, but for the time being, it works perfect!

Just thought i would share my experiment with everyone!

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Dr. Bogger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Type of Volume Control (One that wont burn up)

50 Ohms works well for me.

Be sure to get a high enough wattage rating, or it too will burn up.

PachiTalk Research Center - FAQ - Pachislo - Volume controls - L-pads, pots, and resistors - PachiTalk
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, yeah, i forgot to mention the wattage, mine is a 3/4 watt i beleave ( i could be wrong, but the size of it looks like a 3/4th)

I would have used a 50 ohm, but i didnt have any of those on hand, the lowest i had was 100 ohm... but oh well, it works good enough for me

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Dr. Bogger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I went to radio shack and got two 10k ohm variable resistors for my Ore No Sora machine (which I believe is very similar to the Devil May Cry) and they seem to work fine. As far as being "sensitive", once I found the sweet zone I found that it is easy to control the volume from almost mute to full blast with no trouble at all.

I've gone through 4 big bonuses and a small bonus and have had no problem so far.

I wouldn't have even been able to do any of this without the great people here at Pachitalk!

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to ezehogan