Thread: Wanting a Pin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Wanting a Pin

Hello Pinball Wizards,

I need some advice. Where in this day - in - age can you pick up a good deal on a Pin. I have done a great deal of searching to have no results (I don't have a Pin yet, which to me equals, no results!) I'm a poor college student, so I can't spend too much, however I want a 'newer' dot matrix type machine that is fun to play. First, any suggestions on how to proceed with my quest to find a pin, I would be happy to find one that needs a lot of TLC, and end up turning it into something grand (a project pinball), or if I could find one in good working order, I would be happy as well.

Where can I find a good machine, where can I find 'broken' machines, etc...I live around St. Louis, Missouri. Please help!
    "Listen, our practice will be different today. I want you to forget that I'm your master and use all that I taught you."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Wanting a Pin

Have you checked out this google pinball forum, keep checking on there. Always loads of games listed.

Discussions - rec.games.pinball | Google Groups
    Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Chris

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maury, You can try 2 things: The ever popular Craig's List and locating your local game vendors. Most vendors that visit bars and restaurants have stickers on their games with contact numbers. Start calling and don't give up! It took 5 years for me to get my SW pinball and original arcade game but it did work out!

Good Luck!

5. The following user says "Thanks" to millermaster1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, the Star Wars DE is the one I want more than anything, however I will settle for something else (perhaps!)...Thanks for the feedback so far.
    "Listen, our practice will be different today. I want you to forget that I'm your master and use all that I taught you."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As a pinball collector for years I have always had good luck on the Mr Pinball classifieds:

Mr. Pinball Home Page

It's hosted by the same people that publish the Mr Pinball Pirice Guide. Literally thousands of pins for sale at any given time from projects to pristine home-use-only pins of all ages.
    Pachislos: Neo Pharaoh Zetz
    Pachinkos: Girls Und Panzer

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to PachiFool

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I scored my fixer-upper Data East Star Wars on craigslist for $1200. Sometimes you have to expand your search, try looking at other major cities near you. It can be worth a drive. Most "vendors" are shopping the machines for you and you pay a steep price for it. I can recommend a few websites for supplies run by people dedicated to the art of pinball (which means they dont overcharge you) and they have all the mauals and advice for free. You can replace plastics, ect yourself. I found a complete set on ebay for my machine, NOS, for under $200. Used the 3 pieces I needed and sold the rest to someone else for $180. The pieces I needed by themselves were selling for $50. The only thing I havent tackled yet is fixing the one "bad side" of the machine that got gouged and worn over the years. Good luck in your search. May The Force Be With You!!!
    Pachinko Captain Solo in the Cargo Bay

10. The following user says "Thanks" to revmondo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A machine was given away for free in the Brooklyn Craigslist yesteday. The guy had to move to Texas and couldnt take it with him! It was free to the first person who called and it was in full working condition.
    If only I had a place for it I would have jumped on it.
    Craigslist is good for cheap pinball fixer uppers.
    Led Zepplin

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When you need to know what a machine would be selling for, you should pick up the 2009 Mr. Pinball " Pinball List and Price Guide ". It is only $ 20.00 from Pinball Resource and worth the price. If you need a quick on line price reference, look up the game by name in the Pinball Data base classified ads. Good luck. The cheapest that you may be able to find a 1992-1997 game is about $ 500-700 unshopped. Be prepared to spend about 15 hours and about $ 100 bringing it back to life. Pinball Resource again for rubber rings, lamps and parts. Replace # 44 lamps with # 47 lamps. Go to the Marvin website for instructions on repairs. PM me if you need a quick answer on something pinball.
    Good Luck, Frank A
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found a Star Wars very close to my home, but its listed as $2700 -- Which is over budget for me (I was thinking somewhere a long the lines of 2k, ) I tried to get him to come down on it, but only got him to $2600...Thanks to everyone for the great tips, I think its time to just sit on it and see if I can find a deal!
    When you need to know what a machine would be selling for, you should pick up the 2009 Mr. Pinball " Pinball List and Price Guide ". It is only $ 20.00 from Pinball Resource and worth the price. If you need a quick on line price reference, look up the game by name in the Pinball Data base classified ads. Good luck. The cheapest that you may be able to find a 1992-1997 game is about $ 500-700 unshopped. Be prepared to spend about 15 hours and about $ 100 bringing it back to life. Pinball Resource again for rubber rings, lamps and parts. Replace # 44 lamps with # 47 lamps. Go to the Marvin website for instructions on repairs. PM me if you need a quick answer on something pinball.
    Good Luck, Frank A
    What is this Marvins website you speak of? Do you have a guide that you could look up a 1992 Star Wars Data East pin?
    Last edited by maury; 01-10-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

17. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

best place to find a good deal on a pinball is to check the classified ads in your local newspaper.you could post a wanted ad for them also.a lot of times a person would have a machine which quit working and is taking up space in their basement ,and since they do not know how to fix it,is junk to them,and they just want it gone.used to be able to get them for cheap or even free sometimes.if you can fix them,that would be the best way to go.i have gotten many that way.also check your local amusement operators.in any case,pinballs are much more scarce and more expensive since williams quit making pinballs in 1999.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Star Wars by Data East 1992. There were 10,400 made and they are in the 2009 price book for $ 2,025.00 with a + sign which means that the trend is going up in value. The price in last years version was $ 1,900.00 with a + sign too. Good pin to buy and hold.

Frank A
    Last edited by Frank A; 01-12-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

search ----- mr. pinball classifieds ---- the internet pinball machine data base

23. The following user says "Thanks" to slotman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the helpful comments I've been casually looking, waiting for a good deal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by maury View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful comments I've been casually looking, waiting for a good deal
    Yes. Patient you must be.
    Pachinko Captain Solo in the Cargo Bay

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just digging this thread back from the grave, some time next week I'll be finally getting this pin, which will be my first pinball machine!

27. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to maury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats Maury!!

really glad it worked out for you!

im expecting my first pin in a few days too!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by maury View Post
    Just digging this thread back from the grave, some time next week I'll be finally getting this pin, which will be my first pinball machine!
    what game did ya find??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

darn maury wondered where you had run off to but great news your coming back and with pinball wooooohaaarrrr double selabration
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    what game did ya find??
    Star Wars DE
    Last edited by maury; 08-01-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

32. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to maury