Thread: IR Repeater Systems

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default IR Repeater Systems

With the growing popularity of LCD and Plasma's, there is an increasing demand to hide AV components and wires associated with them. After all, with the sleek lines and sharp looks of these TV's who wants to see all those distracting items.

The "in" thing these days are AV equipment rooms and cabinets to help keep a clean look. Years ago affluent home theater enthusiast could purchase and have installed high end IR repeaters. Today the consumer has a wide range of products to choose from for between $100 -300.

These systems are a little new to me, so it is my hope with this thread to help clarify the different products as I search for one that fits my needs. Hopefully if anyone is using these systems they will share their experience.

The first system is 'Hidden Infra-Red remote control system (part #59500)' made by SmartLabs, Inc. Smarthome.com a division of Smartlabs is selling it for $109.99.

Included in the box:

Hidden IR Repeater Box
    8 IR emitters
    IR receiver
    Confirmation LED
    Power supply
    2 pieces of Velcro for mounting
    Instructions

*It should be noted that most IR systems will have a problem with interference from Plasmas and LCDs. To solve this, simple place the IR receiver behind the leading edge of the TV. Although there are systems designed to reject this interference, this is not one of them.*

**When hiding your AV equipment it is important to add a cooling fan to help circulate the air. Heat is the destroyer of all things electronic.**

The pluses of the system:

Emitters for 8 devices
    Confirmation LED

Emitters made of material that's transparent to IR light, so commands can still pass directly to individual components if desired.

Cost

Negatives:

No rejection for interference
    one color - black
    no mount for IR receiver - tends to roll
    cables can be a little short

So far this seems like a winner .

Smarthome.com

Hidden IR Repeater System - Home Theater Infrared Distribution System - Smarthome

Amazon.com (Always has an informative review section)

Amazon.com: Hidden IR System - Hide Your AV Component Clutter: Electronics

As always, looking forward to any advice you can give.

Last edited by johntofva; 12-30-2008 at 11:28 PM.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: IR Repeater Systems

I have used a IR/RF remote for 4 years now and love it! I have 3 plasma T.V.'s and have never had any interference or problems.

I have the MX-600, it is older but has handled kids drops, bangs, and bumps. Here is the web site: Universal Remote Control

3. The following user says "Thanks" to millermaster1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by millermaster1 View Post
    I have used a IR/RF remote for 4 years now and love it! I have 3 plasma T.V.'s and have never had any interference or problems.

I have the MX-600, it is older but has handled kids drops, bangs, and bumps. Here is the web site: Universal Remote Control
    So the Power Blaster MRF-100b is the repeater for the system. Instead of using an IR receiver, this system uses RF to eliminate it. Is this system proprietary, or can you use other universal remotes with it?
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have not had to use any other remotes, except for BluRay with my PS3. I have not done any research because that was only a $20 remote and I can live with one extra remote. My Xbox 360 uses IR and I was able to program that on the remote without a problem.

You can program any (IR) remote to work and you set up the keys as you see fit. The repeater is in my open stereo closet with the remote sensors that run to each piece of equipment. Very simple to install, a little tricky to program new remotes, but you do it once and your good!

I think it was about $150 at the time, if you have interest I can ask my friend what the current price is.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by johntofva View Post
    So the Power Blaster MRF-100b is the repeater for the system. Instead of using an IR receiver, this system uses RF to eliminate it. Is this system proprietary, or can you use other universal remotes with it?
    I guess I did not answer your question (Still tired, I guess) ! I don't know if you can just use the repeater with a different RF remote, I will ask my friend and get back to you. My guess is no, because of the RF.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to millermaster1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been looking for a solution for some time to get rid of those ugly boxes in my living room. IR extenders are OK, although aligning the repeater with the receivers of the devices is not ideal in my opinion.

However, there's an alternative and elegant solution without technical means: frosted glass cabinet doors. look at following article about frosted glass.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to AnneG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Firstly Welcome to PachiTalk!

and secondly thank you for that helpful post
    its a simple and effective way to deal with he issue

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."