Thread: question about jackpot mechanisms on vintage machines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default question about jackpot mechanisms on vintage machines

hi group.

I now own a couple sophia single shots, a daiichi and sankyo multi shot (70's), and I am wondering why the pachinkos went to the center payout mechanism from the old seesaw method.

I like the seesaw setup since the balls stay at a level above the jackpot mechanism, and one doesn't have to refill balls at the top as much.

as I have been looking for cabinets to buy or build, I realized that I didn't even need the lower drawer or catch tray shelf for the sophias.

does it have to do with not being able to keep up with the payouts, as machines added semi-auto firing, more pockets and tulips?

I saw a recent machine from the 70's listed (one that I wanted to look at, too, in sacramento, and it still had the seesaw mechanism)

or, was it just a new design to get around someone else's patent?

the mechanic in me is just wondering.

thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: question about jackpot mechanisms on vintage machines

I've got three machines from the 50s that have a center jackpot mechanism—the kind where the balls are stored in a circle. That style has a lot of visual appeal, so it was used by a lot of different manufacturers. In fact, both of my 50s Nishijins have center circle jackpot mechanisms.

The 60s Nishijin Sophia that I bought as my first pachinko has a double tilt ramp and the losing balls return to the middle hopper to replenish the jackpot payouts. That model seems to be a throwback to the first pachinkos (like my 40s machine) which had simple tilt ramps, but at the same time it's very innovative in placing the middle hopper so very few balls are lost from the machine. My guess would be that it was designed for parlors that had human attendants and that later models might have had automated ball lifters and didn't need to worry about how often they were cleared or refilled.

I personally love it because the only time I need to refill the top hopper is when I've been winning big and drained all the balls out of the machine. You should still plan to keep a tray under the dump chute so if you need to clear all the balls out of the machine you can trigger the switch without having them end up all over the room.
    Last edited by sharmoni; 12-27-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: typo
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for the comments, sharmoni.

I, too, like the idea of the double trays with the seesaw in the lower left that minimizes the ball lifting. while I have 6 machines to my name now, i'm trying to be more selective and buy ones from different time periods or with different mechanisms that I don't have yet. I have a power flash being shipped from the east coast - that should keep me busy for days figuring out and refurbishing that complex mechanism.

how do you display all of your machines? we are trying to figure out what to do in our small spaces here in berkeley.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, about that. . . I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do with my machines. Two of the newer ones are in the ugly green automated ball-lifter stand, and the 40s antique has a spot reserved on one wall of my newly plastered and painted living room. However I haven't decided whether I want to commit to hanging the rest of the machines in cabinets on the walls, or to build freestanding cabinets. Money is tight, so I would need to build them myself (plus relearn some forgotten woodworking skills), but I don't have the time right now (I'm having trouble finding the time to restore them!). Since I live alone, it's not a pressing concern, but it does mean most of the machines are just on the floor leaning against the walls of my living room.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree that having a way to display our collection is key.

maybe i'll have to convert a whole wall to pachinko?

maybe a rolling cart with 3 underneath and 2 on top (back to back), then we could swap ones from the bottom to the top, but have two available to play at any time?

the picture below shows my living room being overrun with pachinkos. all were bought within 3 days.

the good news is that the maruhon MVP was a well received gift to my brother in law yesterday (I referred him to pachitalk, too), and one of the single shots will be a present to my mother in law, who has a game room, in february... now if I could just find other people who would appreciate these machines. feels like pachinko rescue sometimes... need good homes for neglected, but now cleaned up machines.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here's the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's a couple of thoughts from a new multi-pachinko owner. I bought my first machine just a few months ago and now I have 4! Including a Power Flash... so I'll be interested in hearing about the experience with the Power Flash others have.

I built a stand up cabinet for my first machine the plans for which can be found in the Cabinet forum. When I got my second machine, it was a modern machine and was in it's own 'table top' cabinet. My third was in no cabinet and was like the first with out a cabinet. Therefore I built a second full cabinet much like the first. I purchased the materials for the second cabinet for about $40. (The 1st was build from old shelves I tore down.) My fourth machine is a PowerFlash with a custom cabinet.

I say all this to show that I too have issues with how and where to 'display' the machines. Fortunately, I have a small office/study that I converted into the 'KeyChinko Pachinko Parlour' with the two stand up cabinets and the table tops resting on a small rolling desk and a file cabinet. I'm currently trying to convince my wife to allow me to mount the table tops on the wall using 'shelf supports'.

Here's what all this leads to. The stand up cabinets make it easier to put the machines where I want them.. .when I want them there. You will find that when playing the machines there are extremely loud and therefore probably not the best thing to have in the general areas of the home. So, if you are going to place the machines in a permenant mounting, you should realize that playing them will be limited due to all the fun loving noise.

This has just been my experiences and why I prefer the 'portable' mounts over the permenant ones. If you have a game room, by all means mount them permenantly (I will do this one day) because this would be best (IMHO). So, wether it be a full size stand up cabinet a smaller table top version, keep your machines portable. Again, my humble opinion.

Hope my two cents helps!

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

11. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to wrkey