Thread: Noobie-first refurb done but problem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Noobie-first refurb done but problem

Well, I finally finished cleaning this old girl out (a 1979 Sanyo Bussan). A load of work breaking it all the way down (even the tulips) to get all that grime out! Figured about 24 hours total, but it was well worth it! Not only was it really fun, but I now have a better understanding of how these things work! However, I got her all put back together and I am having problems launching balls, which was a problem that the previous owner stated. After leveling the machine, I depress the launching handle, (see pic 3) the ball moves into the ready position on top of the orange gate/kicker (pic 4) that I would assume kicks the ball in front of the pestle to be launched. It seems though that it is lagging too much and the ball isn't seating in time to be hit with full force, as it is only launched part way up the ramp and then is kicked out into the ball return tray about 20% of the time. The other 80%, it only travels about an inch and comes back to rest against the pestle. Then you have to push the launch handle down again and then it launches fine. In essence, you pretty much have to double stroke for a shot. Not so much fun. I've tried adjusting the back push bar/wire (pic 5) that pushes the white tab by bending it forward and backwards, but this doesn't help. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
    Adam

PS-Any ideas what the central winning pocket's design is of?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to BananaSlug

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Noobie-first refurb done but problem

I've had the same problem with a machine I have and it was a combination of items.

The first question to ask, is the balls being 'delivered' in time for the hammer strike? The simplest way to determine this is to watch the delivery through the little window above the shooter. If the balls are being struck at all and going part way up, I suspect they are being delivered 'on time'. However, the most common place to look for problems is for where one piece is supposed to 'line up' with another.

Now, the next most common problem with a weak shooter, is alignment. Open the front doors and look place a ball on the ramp against the shooter spring. If you pull the lever down so that the spring is at the FIRST point of contact to the ball, it should be 'dead center' of the ball. My problem machine had the spring to far 'inward' and too low to strike the ball correctly. Looking at the last photo you posted, you can see that there really isn't a lot of adjust that can be done. However, it's tricky. If you look at the swivel point of the shooter, you notice there are two nuts on it. The one on the 'outside' is a 'lock nut' and the inner one is an adjusting one. Remove the first outer nut. Then by turning the inner nut, the striker arm will move slightly toward the front of the machine or towards the back based on which way you turn the nut. This only adjust the shooter location front to back. Up or Down is down with the pliers on the contact spring. Once you have this adustment correct, replace the lock nut and tighten against the adjustment nut to keep it from moving.

Also, make sure the front of the shooter arm is screwed down tight. On your machine these screws may be covered. On my problem machine the front piece was loose and allowed too much play in the lever causing miss hit balls.

Another thing that happens is the 'ball track' can be bent to where the ball isn't being struck correctly. Look closely at the track and if it appears to be bent, bend it back by bending that SAME location it is bent wrong at. (That's always a fun thing to do!)

Now, once you make the adjustments so the ball is being struck correctly, try it again. On all of my machines, there is a tension setting adjustment on the shooter arm's main spring. You can adjust this by moving the opposite end of the piece holding the main spring to the next closest or next farthest hole on the pin. You want to find the 'sweet spot' that allows for "full force" shots that bounce off the stop bumper at the top and yet also allows for lighter shots so the player can position there shots.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Rusty Key

4. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll give this a try and see if it works. Thanks Wrkey!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ball alignment doesn't seem to be the issue I think, as you can see in the picture. I think it may have something with the ball not "falling" onto the track to be hit quickly enough. The orange lever seems to dump the ball onto the track as it rises, instead of right away maybe? The other potential problem could be how far down it retracts when the handle is pulled down, and how much of a lip is formed by the track that it then has to lift the ball over to get it on the track.What do you think? I put two pics of the lever on here to look at. Thanks all!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oops, forgot the pics.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe someone can assist prior to me. I won't be able to review my machine and reply until late this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll look and see how my machines compares to yours and hopefully find something that can help.
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there enough tension on the spring attached to the arm? On my old box, that can be adjusted... perhaps you forgot to reposition the spring?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Adam,

Have the same machine and had a similar issue. I adjusted the metal bar (your pic 5) and it solved the problem.

I attached a photo to show the gap that it should be.

Good Luck.

Don..

11. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to alienguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Noobie-first refurb done but problem

Quote Originally Posted by alienguy View Post
    Hey Adam,

Have the same machine and had a similar issue. I adjusted the metal bar (your pic 5) and it solved the problem.

I attached a photo to show the gap that it should be.

Good Luck.

Don..
    That's a real nice looking pachinko, and a super first post,

I hope that will help bananaslug solve his problem...

Welcome to PachiTalk Don!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Alien Guy...Welcome!
    Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alien Guy??? I'm the one that lives in Roswell!!! Welcome!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don, just wanted to say thanks for the post and pics! Nice looking machine there if I say so myself. Our internet server was down last night as we are going thru a little cold snap here in the Pacific Northwest (I know, temps in the teens is balmy to some folks!!) and it must have frozen our server out!! I'll adjust and let you know.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the DARK SIDE (we have cookies) best of luck on the nail replacement and may you & yours have a safe and fun Holidays
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don, just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU"!! Adjusting that one metal bar made all of the difference in the world.