Thread: HD movies anyone???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: HD movies anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    all Sony movies were only available on Blu Ray, they also signed other movie companies to Blu Ray only.

putting the Blu Ray player in the PS3 put millions on players on the market for a huge movie base.

they also gave a lot away with the purchase of large screen Sony HD tv's

Tosihba was basically the only big regular HD movie player maker. even the xbox 360 HD player is made by toshiba.

Sony had a huge base to sell movies to and exclusive rights to many new movies.

Toshiba had a limited base and HD movie sales were no where near Blu Ray.

as far as quality goes one is just as good as the other.
    In all honesty; Sony had the better format. The storage capacity of the Blu-Ray disc is larger, and allows for future expandability, less compression of larger movies, and special features.

Working in a related industry, and having played with both formats prior to their release; I can tell you the right format, and the one I put my money on won the war. I'm not a Sony supporter, and I can't stand how they use their hand in one industry to improve their position in another, but the truth is; Sony had the better format. Also, HD-DVD burners never made it to the market, and I think that hurt Toshiba as well.

Most people don't know this, but Samsung a Tohshiba partner in the optical storage industry "TSST" actually developed a Blu-Ray burner at the beginning of the format war as a concept, but as part of their agreement with Toshiba to back HD-DVD; they never released it. I still have that drive in my collection. It doesn't have any copy protection so it's a keeper!

This is the one I have:

Samsung SH-B022 Blu-ray burner reviewed - Engadget

Manufactured in July of 2006

I know TSST is selling Blu-Ray drives now, but it's cool to have a pre-production drive, and without copy protection makes it even better!

I've also played with the LG combo HD-DVD reader / Blu-Ray writer, and many other models from Pioneer, Panasonic, and Teac.

I now have 54 Blu-Ray movies, and 8 HD-DVDs. I purchased the HD-DVD player after the war was over because it was dirt cheap, and makes a good up-converting DVD player. I use my PS3 and my HTPC to play my Blu-Ray movies.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn