Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1940s pachinko machine help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1940s pachinko machine help

Traditionally pachinko machines have a layer of printed paper with a plastic film laminated over the surface to protect it from wear and to reduce friction for the pachinko balls.

To be able to put a layer of plastic over the playfield you would have to remove all the rails, which could be challenging. They are attached with thin brads that may break as you pry then loose from the backboard. IF they broke you would need to weld them back one (ore weld on new ones).

You would also need to remove the backboard from the frame so the laminate can be applied across the whole surface. That way it wouldn't peel up around the edges.

You could then choose a suitable print or have one created and apply the protective layer of plastic using something like a roll of pressure-sensitive laminating film (Pressure-Sensitive (Cold) Overlaminating Films from USI - Your Source for Lamination). (I don't know for sure how that works, you would need to do a little research.)

It might be possible to simply use a polyurethane coating like what is used for hardwood floors over the stripped wood, but polyurethane cracks and turns white from sudden impact, so there's a chance that the pachinko balls bouncing off the pins will mess it up. Maybe some other members will have more ideas.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some of the research I've done on replacing the playfield. You can get a sheet of countertop laminate at Lowe's for about $45.00 of course it looks like countertop, but it's cheap (they do have white, though). You can also do a google search for wall laminate, designer laminate, etc. A great place to see various laminate samples is http://samples.wilsonart.com/ Browse by pattern. Some nice laminates that would make a great playfield IMO.
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Sandwich Shooter heavyguitarman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for the info, but im in the dark about the lamination process, does it have to be one solid piece or can i do separate graphics???
    Also, where to get laminate, what kind???anyone who can help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance
    thanks sharmoni...ill keep doing some research, i still have another post to read, but im the type of guy that cant wait for anything, i may invent something new for the playfield...lol. take it easy!
    Last edited by heavyguitarman; 10-17-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

basically you take whatever graphics you want and cover it with clear plastic so the balls do not wear it out. this is done on most machines for the past 25 years or so. prior to that is was just paper glued to the surface and you have seen the results: dirt tracks, nail rust stains, and water stains. this will be glued to the play field and the pins reinstalled.

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to birdbrain

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well when i said im goin all out, i messed up , the lamination process seems a bit much. i think im gonna stain the playfield, go with printed plastic decorative japanese graphics, and clearcoat the **** out of it...maybe

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

come up with some real nice graphics (not too busy), take it to kinkos or staples and have it printed big enough to fit the full face of the machine, have one side plastic coated (not sure where to get that done), glue it to the face of the machine, open up all the openings and replace all the parts.

Also, you can clear paint the surface, just don't play it too much, consider it more art! I would think an inlaid surface (different colored wood) would look very snazzy! If the outer framework wood is low grade (it usually is) consider a wood veneer with a nice stain and inlay banding, would look very classic

Dam you BB, you beat me to it!
    Last edited by compirate; 10-17-2008 at 10:56 PM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks bird, im just wondering by doing in separate graphics like i want to do if i will affect the way the balls move...no big deal though its gonna look awesome. thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

by the way...thanks to everyone whos put in their 2 cents...this site is very cool

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Use Pinball Mylar which can be found here. http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html
    Led Zepplin

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: 1940s pachinko machine help

Heavy,

I saw that machine for sale...I too wondered if someone had painted the frame. Now I know.

I have a very similar machine as yours, but I have not yet begun to refurbish it. I am EXTREMELY interested in your progress. Please keep us abreast of how the project is going via pictures along the way.

A couple of things:

1) The glass for this machine is rectangular as opposed to the usual 16 by 16's on the the 1960-1970's machines. Mine came with what I believe is the original glass. It is thick and heavy. If you are going with glass, be sure to get the thicker glass. A lot of places are selling a thinner type (Home Depot and Lowes for example)...or at least that's been my experience as I've looked around for glass for my other machines. Good plexiglass can get very expensive.

2) What method did you use to remove the pins without damaging them? I've thought about doing that, but I am afraid. Removing them is one thing. Getting them back in with proper angling and depth of the holes is a completely different issue...one that I'm not confident enough in my abilities to pull off (so to speak).

At any rate, welcome to the board, and good luck with your project. I look forward to visual updates on your progress.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another question for anyone: If you remove the nails and replace the "face" with a new laminate, how do you know with 100% precision where every hole is to replace the nails? Unless you are just staining the face and can see every hole, this seems like a risky play.

Just curious.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Take a big piece of paper and poke out the holes as a pattern then lay it back and mark the holes

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks everyone about the playfield. Since this is my first project, i really dont want to remove the rails. Ive already put 28 hrs into this so for now im gonna try the easy way out. If it dont work well, ive learned something. Ive taped off the rails, stained it a color called china red, and have just completed my second clearcoat. When it gets smooth, im gonna print out some small graphics on plastic and put them in random places and then clearcoat my ass off. ill post pics as soon as it looks presentable. thanks for all your help people. ill be asking more questions im sure when this part is over. I want all new pins...anybody know where to get some???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hey bigdog...to remove nails i used lineman pliers...pulled at a steady resistance and twisted back and forth making sure i pulled straight. I wasnt worried about bending the pins, i was worried about oggling out the holes. Im currently looking for new pins because this machine was missing some to begin with. I was afraid to remove the rails that send the ball up and back, but did carefully remove everything else with a tiny screwdriver behind the tacks. ill post new pic probably tommorrow.
    Last edited by heavyguitarman; 10-19-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok i got some pics, but dont judge a job till its finished
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

forgot to say, my ball tray pic shows it was delapadated...i fixed with some epoxy, still grinding down to shape with dremmel.

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heavy,

You're the man. If it doesn't turn out well, it won't be because you were timid about it. You've attacked the hell out of that machine. Keep us updated with pics!

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now that's a Pachinkoholic !! Your doing a great job Heavy making this ,your 1st on very special pachinko and a fine example of a vintage machine restoration (especialy with a non-electric) .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Keep at it !

And when your done, play play play!
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you sir... Rock!!!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

30. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast