Thread: ELECO reel back-lights repair

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default ELECO reel back-lights repair

Here´s an easy way to fix the problem with the LEDs behind the wheels on ELECO-machines.

As discussed in other threads the original LEDs, which consists of a red+green+blue diode in every LED, tends to age and when one or more of the diodes in the LED go down the color of the back light changes. This is very disturbing since it becomes a mix of white and yellow (most common), blue or black(!) light behind the wheels.

The problem is to find a good replacement LED with the same color, candela, volt and to a reasonable price. I found (with help from another thread in the forum) a very good replacement at www.giant-supplier.com in UK which cost approx £1 each. See attached picture for more specs.

* First you remove the 6 original LEDs with brute force and a small plier.
    * Position the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) as shown in the picture and remove the lead in the upper left and lower left holes in a total of six places.
    * Solder the 3 new LEDs in place. Remember that the longer of the two legs should go to the + side (up in the picture).
    * Done!

Two good things are that since this new LED has a light spread of 180 degrees you only need one to replace two of the originals. Also you don´t need to replace the original resistors (picture).

If you still don´t want to do this by yourself you can send them to me and I´ll do the job for you!
    And yes, I´m aware that most of you live in USA and I live in Sweden so they have to travel a long way but it´s just ONE other alternative.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to MaxW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: ELECO reel back-lights repair

Can you take pics with the reels lit?
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, here are some pictures. The first two is with all LEDs replaced with the new ones. The two last pictures have the original LEDs in the right weel as a comparison.

It´s only when you have them side-by-side and with the door open that you really can see the difference. The original ones are a bit more bluish and a bit more bright.
    If you like to have the new LEDs to shine more (but it´s not nessesary) you can also change the resistors to a lower value. Now the new LEDs have 2,7V with the original resistors but they can handle 3,0-3,2V and thus shine a little more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to MaxW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its is amazing how bright the original Leds are. Good Engineering.
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The original LEDs are a bit more bright, thats true.

I´ve also tried to replace them with another type of surface mounted (also from Giant Supplier) LEDs and the result was also good. The amount of work though, to handle 6 very small LEDs for every PCB, and solder extra legs for connection and change the resistors was just to much work.

I desolder them later on so I don´t have any picture from that experiment but if you want more info about that just ask.

A fair enough solution is therefor the one with the 3 big LEDs for every PCB, both in terms of work and cost.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MaxW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Which LED did you choose?

The LEDs that we found a couple years ago work fine too. US supplier here:
    Discrete LEDs - Quickar Electronics Inc

They are the whpir model (Piranha white) towards the bottom of the page. They work great and are slightly brighter than the originals. Viewing angle is listed as 100, but I think the manufacturer lists them as 120, which illuminates the reels perfectly while not bleeding light beyond the reels.

You can fit them into the original holes on the board and can keep the existing resistors, although you should clip out the 750 ohm ones to keep current in spec.

One of my boards from the old thread:
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/atta...xed-boardf.jpg

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/atta...xed-boardb.jpg

Haven't had a problem with them in almost 3 years on all 3 of my Eleco machines.

10. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are these the (whpir)exact leds you used in above old post? The site has moved few things around...

http://www.moreleds.com/superflux.htm

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by essence25 View Post
    Are these the (whpir)exact leds you used in above old post? The site has moved few things around...

http://www.moreleds.com/superflux.htm
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead