Thread: Tiger Mask Sound Question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tiger Mask Sound Question

Hi All,
    I'm in the process of putting volume controls on all of my machines. I am running up against a tough one with Tiger Mask Pachinko. The speakers are actually inside the door and can't be accessed(as far as I can tell) without taking the door apart(which I'd rather avoid). The wires that run from the rear of the machine to the door are all the same color and bundled together so distinguishing the speakers wires is impossible (again without taking apart the door etc etc). I have tried to locate where the speakers originate on the rear of the machine but have had little luck as of yet. I have found the jack for the subwoofer and unplugging it helps the volume considerably but it feels as if somethings lacking without it. I just can't find the feed for the speakers on the unit. Does anyone have an idea as to where I can find it. The "volume control" is on the back of what appears to be the cell's main board. However, the subwoofer jack is on a board to the lower right of the main (perhaps an amp?). Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Bob
    Bob's Tiki BarCade: Home to Arcade Machines, Pachis, Collectibles, and a Massive amount of Polynesian Kitsch. All together in one room.....because that's the only place she'll let me keep it.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tiger Mask Sound Question

Yepper i remember having to take apart the front door on the "Avia Maria "(little Mozart) to get the small volume pots in . My suggestion level table , white bedsheet and plenty of photos during disassembly .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can put the pots in back, closer to the sound board. Just trace the wiring harness back to a board and figure out where it plugs in. You can then carefully remove pins on the connector to see which ones go to the speakers. Once you know which wires are for the speakers, splice in your controls there.

Or just wait...I know someone here has/had that model.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've traced the wires and installed pots. I'm off work on Thursday/Friday and will get you the info.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckymoey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Re: Tiger Mask Sound Question

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    My suggestion level table , white bedsheet and plenty of photos during disassembly .
    Thats funny. I use the white bedsheet but on the floor so I can spread out the parts when working. I can't even imagin working on a vintage without a digital camera for taking photos.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Bob,
    I also own a Tiger Mask and it was a piece of cake to install the volumpots.
    The small blue and green conector on the inside of the door are for the sound, cut each red wire from the blue and green connector and solder a small volumepot between the ends that is all.

See pictures.

Regards Dragonfly

Quote Originally Posted by bob5150 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm in the process of putting volume controls on all of my machines. I am running up against a tough one with Tiger Mask Pachinko. The speakers are actually inside the door and can't be accessed(as far as I can tell) without taking the door apart(which I'd rather avoid). The wires that run from the rear of the machine to the door are all the same color and bundled together so distinguishing the speakers wires is impossible (again without taking apart the door etc etc). I have tried to locate where the speakers originate on the rear of the machine but have had little luck as of yet. I have found the jack for the subwoofer and unplugging it helps the volume considerably but it feels as if somethings lacking without it. I just can't find the feed for the speakers on the unit. Does anyone have an idea as to where I can find it. The "volume control" is on the back of what appears to be the cell's main board. However, the subwoofer jack is on a board to the lower right of the main (perhaps an amp?). Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Dragonfly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Bob,
    I also own a Tiger Mask and it was not easy to find the speaker wires, I had to take the whole door apart to discover them ...

The yellow connector on the backside has the wire speakers , I marked the holes 7 and 6 with a black marker, count from the bottom: left is 6 and right is 7, cut them and install small volumepots.
    Do the same with the subwoofer, the small white connector with two white wires and are easy to trace .

See pictures
    Sorry for the previous wrong pictures these are the right ones

Regards Dragonfly

Quote Originally Posted by bob5150 View Post
    Hi All,

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 10-08-2008 at 05:38 PM.

11. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Dragonfly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow . I can't say how much I appreciate all of the help. I have a project for this weekend now. Sweet.
    Last edited by bob5150; 10-09-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bob's Tiki BarCade: Home to Arcade Machines, Pachis, Collectibles, and a Massive amount of Polynesian Kitsch. All together in one room.....because that's the only place she'll let me keep it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this thread.
    It took a few weeks/months before I got a chance to install the volume controls using Dragonfly's instructions (funny how that tends to happen). Anyway, the pictures and instructions were great and the mod went off without a hitch. The Tiger Mask, which could be heard throughout the house before, can now be turned down. Thanks again for all of the valuable info. There's no way that i could have done it without you.

Bob

PS: I was thinking that this thread, or at least Dragonfly's pictures and instructions, should be added to the research center. I know that many of us own Tiger Mask, St. Marie, or other machines that use this frame and the info here would be pretty valuable. Just a thought.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to bob5150