Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thunderbirds voltchange question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default thunderbirds voltchange question

hi there,
    this is my first post in this forum (i am glad to found)
    i am living in germany and was playing pachislo only on my snes or dreamcast console till now. but then i saw the thunderbirds, and as a collector of german slots (ok, i have only 3 yet) and thunderbird stuff (this part is more excessive), i couldn't resist to order one from pachislo.com
    i hope i will arrive in one peace soon, but now comes the question. in germany we use 220v, so i have to plug in an stepdown converter. i know that internal they are changed to 24v with mostly an 5A converter.
    can anyone tell me how strong my stepdown converter must be. is an 200Watt or even 100W enough? or do i need an 300 watt or even 500 watt 110v to 220v converter.
    i hope i don't write to silly stuff, because i am not an electrician.

would appreciate any information that could help me
    thanks a lot
    great forum
    rolf

Webdude

What you need is an AC transformer that converts 230 VAC to 24 VAC 5 amp, you should be able to get one in Germany. Also an 115 VAC to 12 VAC will work too. I need a bottle of Pepper Schnapps which i can't buy here. I had some when I was in Germany. Maybe we can work out a trade.:lol: Don't jump to a conclusion to fast, some of the machines run on 100 VAC

Thanks
    Thanks Received

SNAKE 1111, I spent over 7 years there and if your machine comes with a transformer in it just get a small converter to drop 220 to 110 a 300 or 400 will do and it will work fine as I dont think you will find a plug in one to drop 220 to 24 volts, the small step down converter is easy to get as you know , Hope this helps,-- Don I only need to find some Loynsemph mustadrd, I know the spelling is wrong , The one with the lion on it , can almost taste the wurst with it anong with some pommfrets , Lord its been a long time , Good luck with your machine
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hi there,
    thanks a lot for the replys.
    because i think there is a transformer to 24v installed i just need an 110 to 220v converter. thanks for the info here, i will try an 300w because after that it will get quite expensive.
    to the offtopic part ;-)
    pepper shnaps, i dont know, but only because i dont like this kind of stuff. but i will check next time i am in a store.
    loewensenf. this is more easy, therefore i pass the company everyday i drive to work. if you provide me with your joyce of taste (mild, medium or strong) i will send you a tube (glass is better but i dont know you get it in one peace). just leave me your address.

one more question (even if it is offtopic in a technical part of the forum)
    how many tokens do you have per machine? therefore you should fill it with at least 500 i assume that you need at least 1000 to play comfortable.
    i would like to know what your average per machine is.
    thanks a lot
    br
    rolf

Webdude

After thinking about it. Your machine will come setup for 110 VAC. Here is a link for a 220 voltage converter. http://www.220-electronics.com/google.htm. Click on Voltage Converters and then Type One. To figure out Amps from Watts is " Watts/Voltage = AMPs". So 750 Watts should be enough but for the price different I would go for the 1500 watt so you can power your second machine when you get it :lol:. 750 watts/110 VAC = 6.8 Amps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You're right 500 minimum and 1000 makes it much nicer to play with.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1000 is about avg, as far as the mustard is pm me a cost to send it if not to much of a problem , No tips for any Info to help get someone on the right track, Pm with any info would be great- Thanks FDon

Webdude

1000 works for me when I set the machine to pay out about 100%. That way the wife does not call me all the time. 350 watts is on the small side for a voltage converter. we might be calling you sparky if you use that. I will PM you with my address if you would be so nice. I will send you unmarked US dollars gladly for a bottle of pepper schnapps. :grin:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We used 350 converters for TVs and lamps , blenders etc when stationed in Germany and a Pichislo doesent use much and higher amp converters cost a bundle and a waste of money if using one thats to big , wish I still had some but I left all of mine with another GI when I left,-Don

Webdude

350/110=3.18 amps. I am an electronic technician. It might work but it would be to close to it limits with power up surges. Most Pachislo dealers use 5 amps with there machines. 750 Watts would be safe and with 1500 watts which cost about $44.00 US you could power up to three machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What amps does the machine actul draw in amps ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow, thanks again.
    so i will look for a bigger one... i think the steps here are 500 or 1000. i will search the electronic store next week (also for mustard and pepper shnaps ;-)

i think it will take a few days till the package will arrive :-(
    cant wait to play....

do you all play on 100%? thats interesting. i play the german ones on 67 or max 80%

Webdude

That would depend on the machine that you are talking about. To figure it out put an amp gauge over the power cord would tell you. But you need to pay attention to the power up phase. Which always draws the most and with some machines having LCD displays and all those lights its hard to believe they run on 5 amps but I a sure someone has done the research.

Webdude

Well snake1111 my idea is to pay out what is put in. That way you never need to fill the hopper or empty the hopper. It keep the wife from calling my name all the time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah, thats right, i think the difference is that i use the german slots as a (what is the right phrase??) to eat all my dimes an nickels (my eurocents to be exact). if they are full, i take the money to the bank.
    with the pachislo its different because of the tokens. i didnt think of that. you are correct.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@webdude

what will happen if the converter is to small? could i damage the machine? or will the converter be killed?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome snake1111 :wink: Do a lot of country's in Europe use 220 volts? I can't imagine the cost of wiring up a whole house here with 220!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah, all the countries have 220v
    perhaps there is an exception i miss, but at least the big ones all do...

...uk i am not sure...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

....and the installing of 220v is not the expensive part in germany when you build a house. we have regulations you cant imagine. for that a little bit of cableing is not the problem 8-)

Webdude

what will happen if the converter is to small? could i damage the machine? or will the converter be killed?
    Probably turn the converter in to a toaster.
    http://www.mynetworkplace.net/images/slots/fire.gif

Went shopping with the wife, sorry it took so long to answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast