Thread: Fun with plastic tubing...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Fun with plastic tubing...

I got my new pachinko machines up and running yesterday, but I haven't really had much of an opportunity to play with them.

Primarily, this is because I was missing any way to effectively catch balls in the back. Gladware worked... to an extent. But there were still balls thrown out of the container depending on how they bounced.

My proposed solution?

A trip to Ace Hardware, some plastic tubing (5/8"), some paper funnels, a plastic shoebox and a bit of duct tape.

We'll see if this works. At least the balls rolls well through the tubing:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently Own: Nothing. I play mostly online now.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Fun with plastic tubing...

you need a bunch of balls already in the box to absorb some of the energy. put a layer of balls in teh catch box and see.
    A token for your thoughts???

TEQ. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by teqkng View Post
    you need a bunch of balls already in the box to absorb some of the energy. put a layer of balls in teh catch box and see.
    True. That will work. But I'd rather not pass up an excuse to build something more elaborate... ^^

Besides, if this does work, I'm one step closer to an automated line for all 4-5 machines with the addition of a ball lifter.

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love it a true "Addict". Keep us posted "Tim The Tool Man"
    A token for your thoughts???

TEQ. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Inevitably, anything with a diameter less than the width of 2 balls is destined to jam, but do keep us posted, and send more pics of the assembly.

Keeping the balls from bouncing is the same principal as soundproofing. Dampen the shock and there'll be less bounce. You can put softer foam on the bottom of the tray, or even under the tray to absorb the shock (maybe 1" thick soft foam under the tray would be a good start).
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    Inevitably, anything with a diameter less than the width of 2 balls is destined to jam, but do keep us posted, and send more pics of the assembly.
    The tubing was cheap at 49 cents per foot. I figured I could afford to play around with 10-20 feet and see if the idea was even worth pursing. I will have to get larger tubing if I was to make this permanent...

Good news is that it does seem to work... Bad news is that I need a better funnel material. Thick paper just isn't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    Keeping the balls from bouncing is the same principal as soundproofing. Dampen the shock and there'll be less bounce. You can put softer foam on the bottom of the tray, or even under the tray to absorb the shock (maybe 1" thick soft foam under the tray would be a good start).
    Ah... that would be Phase II of this project. Tubing wasn't the only thing I picked up at the hardware store. ^^

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used a auto oil filler funnel attached to the pachinko with an electric conduit clamp

a picture is near the bottom of this thread PachiTalk
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I used a auto oil filler funnel attached to the pachinko with an electric conduit clamp
    Is that made of metal or plastic? I'm attempting to cut down on noise in the process...

EDIT:

Heh. Now Indiana Jones is in full fever mode. Too bad I'm not actually playing... Just testing. ^^
    Last edited by Sederien; 06-15-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

use a plastic funnel with mouse pad like foam glued to the outside

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I've had fun making a paper funnel, a duct tape funnel, and an invisible funnel (just attaching the tubing directly)... but it would seem that there isn't anything better than a tray in back for the moment.

Considering that the fun for me isn't lots and lots of balls during a fever, but rather getting to the fever, I'm going to put this to the side for the moment and work instead on the more pressing issue of sound dampening next weekend.

Only other thing to note is that each machine hit a fever no less than three times while testing:

Spiderman: 3 wins, still in fever chance mode.
    Lord of the Rings: 4 wins, still in fever chance mode.
    Indiana Jones: 5 wins, back to normal mode.

The chance that this will happen in an afternoon again while I'm actually playing for fun or trying to demonstrate for a friend: 0.00000000001%

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Sederien

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used the same type of tubing with a larger diameter. I used half an inverted plastic coke bottle as the funnel, getting the idea from the post LD referred to. I found that the plastic in the coke bottles had a bit of a give to it, whereas other materials I used were more rigid. On occasion, the more rigid materials would receive a higher veloicity sphere and bounce it out. But the straight up/down sides of the bottle, along with its ability to absorb a little of the velocity, caused 100% of the balls to be contained and funneled out the bottom.

The bottle opening (where the cap screws on) also was the perfect size for the tubing. No fasteners, I just inserted the funnel into the frame opening and 'screwed' the tubing onto the funnel from underneath. The first photo shows the backs of three machines and where the funnels/tubing were placed.

The tubing is directed to a piece of 4" ABS waste pipe, capped on the lower end with a 'test plug' (second photo). The tube can get very heavy with thousands of balls, so metal plumbers tape had to be used to fasten it in place (eventually the plastic stuff failed). Just place a container under the test plug and open to receive your balls.

I used a 4" cap for drainage pipe (I believe it is called ADS) for the top of the tube (last photo). It's made of thin plastic and using a hole saw, I drilled three holes the same as the outside diameter of the tubing. It serves to hold the tubing firmly in place, and I created a slight droop in each of the tubes to slow the balls.

The funnels have never jammed during play. I can, however, drop a large handful of balls all at once into the funnel and cause a jam, but there are not enough balls coming out of the machine at once to cause a jam during play. The noise is not noticable during play, but can sometimes be heard when you cease playing the machine for a moment. The funnels are quiet, the tubes silent, and the noise heard is the ball striking others in the collection tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Hardy har har...

16. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, Meathead. I'll have to try the bottle suggestion for a funnel. Seems that it would be perfect for the setup.

Out of curiosity... If you "screw" the tubing over the plastic bottle openings, what is the diameter of your tubing?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I went and checked; it's unmarked. I got it from a buddy who repairs commercial a/c systems. I'm sure it's the same stuff that's readily available in hardware stores, though. I used a ruler and it appears the outside diameter is and inch and a quarter, and the inside is an inch.

Cut the top off of a bottle and bring it to the store with you. Try it out, mine fits snugly and won't fall off. Even if you find something that might be a little loose, a hose clamp would be an easy fix.
    Last edited by Meathead; 06-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    A Hardy har har...