Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L-Pad Question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default L-Pad Question

I've installed L-pads on several of my machines and have not had a problem, until I noticed they are getting hot. Very Hot!!

They all function properly, but get very hot to the touch.

Is this common? I hadn't noticed it until I bumped one while working behind the machine. Ouch!!

I've wired them as shown in the diagram.

And what setting should the factory volume be set at? (High or low?)
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: L-Pad Question

Quote Originally Posted by BigBearSteve View Post
    I've installed L-pads on several of my machines and have not had a problem, until I noticed they are getting hot. Very Hot!!

They all function properly, but get very hot to the touch.

Is this common? I hadn't noticed it until I bumped one while working behind the machine. Ouch!!

I've wired them as shown in the diagram.

in the middle or low. If its on high it could burn them up. I lost a few on Julie and gachinko with the factory set in the high position.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice View Post
    in the middle or low. If its on high it could burn them up. I lost a few on Julie and gachinko with the factory set in the high position.
    Is it normal for them to get so hot?
    BTW, I'm using the 15 watt stereo L-pads.
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's totally normal, and why there are heat vents on the back of the L-pad. They're absorbing the power from the amp to control the volume, presenting an 8-ohm load to the amp as if it were a speaker. The lower you set the volume on the L-pad, the hotter it will get.

That depends on how the volume switch is connected to the amp. If it's controlling the level before the amp, you can safely set it on low. If it's controlling the volume after the amp, set it to high. I have all of mine set to high regardless, and use the L-pad to controll the entire volume range.
    Yes, it's totally normal. The amps are 13W, so a 15W L-pad is perfect. I use 15W L-pads on my machines.
    Last edited by JohnD0406; 06-14-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I keep all the machines on the middle volume setting. I have not had a problem with them getting hot. Below is the schematic I used. The one on the box looks alittle more complex.

You should have cut one wire and attached L-Pad wires to each end and the third L-Pad wire just attaches to the other speaker wire.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by new in town; 06-14-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Forgot the Picture
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by new in town View Post
    I keep all the machines on the middle volume setting. I have not had a problem with them getting hot. Below is the schematic I used. The one on the box looks alittle more complex.

You should have cut one wire and attached L-Pad wires to each end and the third L-Pad wire just attaches to the other speaker wire.
    That is the wiring diagram I'm using.
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Below is the schematic I used. The one on the box looks alittle more complex.
    The one on the box is correct - yours is not quite - you have polarity reversed.

AMP + to L-pad #3
    AMP - to L-pad #1 (and speaker -)
    SPEAKER - to L-pad #1 (and AMP -)
    SPEAKER + to L-pad #2
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    The one on the box is correct - yours is not quite - you have polarity reversed.

AMP + to L-pad #3
    AMP - to L-pad #1 (and speaker -)
    SPEAKER - to L-pad #1 (and AMP -)
    SPEAKER + to L-pad #2
    On the boxes that I have, it doesn't show the polarity.
    But the reversal of polarity shouldn't cause a problem, should it?
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the boxes that I have, it doesn't show the polarity. But the reversal of polarity shouldn't cause a problem, should it?
    I don't believe reversing polarity would be a problem, but can't say for sure the wiper inside the L-pad is or isn't designed for proper polarity. If the box doesn't show polarity, it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    I don't believe reversing polarity would be a problem, but can't say for sure the wiper inside the L-pad is or isn't designed for proper polarity. If the box doesn't show polarity, it probably doesn't matter.
    I'm going to be installing one today, I'll try it the other way and see if there's a difference.
    I just don't like the amount of heat that it was throwing off. ( I do run the volume pretty low)
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm going to be installing one today, I'll try it the other way and see if there's a difference.
    There won't be any difference in the amount of heat, as the power flowing through is the same.

I just don't like the amount of heat that it was throwing off. ( I do run the volume pretty low)
    Think of heat in terms of light bulbs. With the volume down low, you're making the L-pad absorb most of that power. Energy has to be converted to something. In the case of the light bulb, some energy is converted to light, and the rest to heat; in the case of the L-pad, some energy is converted to sound, the rest heat.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the heat is to much for you why not mount the L-Pads in an aluminum panel to act as a heat sink. Also gives the mod a more finished Look.
    A token for your thoughts???

TEQ. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have the L-Pads on several machines, and haven't noticed an overheating problem. Mine are all in boxes. I keep the amp power on low, and have my L-Pads set fairly low.

They will get fairly warm under normal use, that is why they are ventilated at the bottom. I have never had one burn up. However, I just had a 1k pot start smoking today on Galaxy Train. I am still in the process of swapping all of the pots for L-Pads. If overheating is a concern; you may opt for the 50w L-Pads. They should not get as warm.

Also, I use the opposite polarity from what you have pictured; not sure that is your problem, but it is the key difference between our setups.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

18. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post

Or ... Disconnect the speakers and save $ 19.99
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Disconnect the speakers and you blow the output Amps.

Without a load on them they won't last long.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

one word

Spoiler
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

22. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Without a load on them they won't last long.

Whoops my bad but i do put the little pots on the speakers and if i have that slider switch on the back i put it on low .

Some good news though my CR Ferrari has a main volume control factory installed for all four speakers.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Whoops my bad but i do put the little pots on the speakers and if i have that slider switch on the back i put it on low .

Some good news though my CR Ferrari has a main volume control factory installed for all four speakers.
    Not a problem.

Just did not want someone new to the forum trying that and hurting their Pachi.

NEVER UNPLUG THE SPEAKERS ! ! !
    Socks and Ear plugs are Authorized.

And if your into NASCAR here are the Official Ear Plugs called Spark Plugs. The NAVY uses them where I work on the Hell Of A Copters.

Moldex Spark Plugs UF Foam Plugs (NRR 33) - Moldex

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok I'm fed up with the untruths that the L-Pad brigade use to justify their obsession.

The amps will not be damaged by disconnecting the speakers, or by connecting them to a load that is not 8 ohms. In fact I'd recommend unplugging all but one of the speakers on a machine as a quick way of reducing the volume if you haven't got round to fitting external volume controls yet.

This no load damage myth might have been true back in the days before I was born with some valve amps and early transistor designs that used current feedback, but a modern integrated circuit amplifier will not be damaged at all by changing the load on it's output. It will be fine anywhere from it's rated minimum load (which is usually 2-4 ohms, but can be zero on amplifier chips with short circuit protection) all the way up to an infinite resistance (ie with the speaker disconnected).

I challenge any of those people that preach the goodness of L-Pads to come up with one example of an amplifier in a pachinko that has been damaged by removing or increasing it's output load. I will not accept submissions where an amp has blown after an inadequately rated external volume control has burned up, or has been installed incorrectly unless you can prove that the damaged control has not caused a short circuit.

The ONLY benefits of using an L-Pad is reliability (as they're usually rated to carry the full output power of the amplifier), and audio quality at full load (as small pots that are not quite up to the power will cause distortion due to thermal effects).

On a pachinko machine a small preset pot is absolutely fine providing that it is adequately rated for it's use (ie not rated at 1/8W or 1/4W or made from carbon film in any circumstances whatsoever, and only a 1/2W or higher cermet one if the internal volume switch on the pachinko is permanently left on the low setting).

If you wish to spend the money on an L-Pad or you are convinced that you can hear a substantial difference in audio quality, then good on you. You've made a good purchasing decision based on factors that are important to you. Just don't turn around and start declaring that all the rest of us (that are quite happy with our preset pots, or fixed resistors) are somehow putting the well being of our machines at risk.

27. The following 20 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast