Thread: What drives the cost of gasoline?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What drives the cost of gasoline?

_I thought you would like to know_

What drives the cost of gasoline?
    Its not just oil prices; taxes, refineries and distribution also affect what you pay

by Associated Press

Consider the game of chicken that plays out every day across Pennsylvania State Highway 441. In Marietta, where the road hugs the Susquehanna River, a Rutters Farm Store gas station stands on one side, a Sheetz gas station on the other.

Kelly Bosley, who manages Rutters, doesnt even have to look across the highway to know when Sheetz changes its price for a gallon of gas. When Sheetz raises prices, her own pumps are busy. When Sheetz lowers prices, she has not a car in sight.

She calls Rutters headquarters to report the competitions new price and wait for instructions.°©I call a lot of times and say, They went down, hurry up! Hurry up! Call me! Call me!Or it could be where theirs goes up, and Ill say,°©Take your time! You know, I like being busy. But I have no control over that. You think you feel helpless at the pump? Bosley makes a living selling gas and even she has little control over what it costs.

So how exactly are gas prices set? What determines the hair-pulling figure you see displayed in large electronic or plastic numbers?

It all starts with oil.

The biggest factor in the skyrocketing price of gasoline is the historic ascent of crude oil, which has surged from $45 per barrel in 2004 to more than $135 this past week. In the first quarter of this year, based on a retail price of gas that now seems like a steal? $3.11 a gallon crude oil accounted for all but about a dollar, or 70 percent, of the cost, according to the federal government.

The rest is a complex mix of factors, from the cost of turning oil into gas to taxes to marketing costs to, sometimes, nothing more than the competitive whims of your local gas station owner.

Oil

The knee-jerk villains in all of this are the oil companies, fat with multibillion-dollar profits. But wait: The oil companies dont set the price of oil or the cost of a gallon of gas.

Prices are a function of the open market, the result of futures contracts being traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange, or Nymex, and other exchanges around the world.

Buying the current July crude oil futures contract means youre buying oil that will be delivered by the end of July. But most investors who trade futures have no intention of ever accepting the underlying oil: Like stock investors who frequently buy and sell their holdings, they are simply betting that prices will rise or fall.

Of late, on the Nymex, oil futures have been rising.

Why? Blame the falling dollar. Oil is priced in U.S. dollars, and the weaker the dollar gets, the more attractive dollar-denominated oil contracts are to foreign investors? or any investor looking for a safe haven in the turbulent stock market.

The rush of buyers keeps pushing oil futures to a series of records, and the rest of the energy complex, including gasoline futures, has followed. That pushes up the price of gas that goes into your tank.

There is some evidence Americans are buying less gas as the price marches higher.

Lower demand should mean lower prices? but it takes time for that to happen, given the enormous scale of refining operations that produce gas.

Once demand begins to slow, that needs to translate into inventories, then you get some price weakening, said Jim Ritterbusch, president of energy consultancy Ritterbusch and Associates in Galena, Ill. But it takes a while. Oil and gas prices often move in the same direction, but they arent linked directly. While oil prices have more than doubled in the past year, gasoline is only up about 19 percent during the same time.

Oil prices often fluctuate with production decisions from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which supplies about 40 percent of the worlds crude, or when conflict in the Middle East or Nigeria threatens supplies.

And the rise has only grown more dramatic. Oil sprinted higher this past week, rising more than $4 a barrel on Wednesday alone and past $135 on Thursday.

As for gasoline prices: They are closely tied to demand from U.S. drivers and how efficiently refineries are operating. Falling production or inventories often send prices skyrocketing.

Those prices can vary greatly depending on the region.

The Gulf Coast is the source of about half the gasoline produced in the United States, and areas farthest from there tend to have higher prices because of the cost of shipping gas via pipeline and tanker truck all over the country.

Add higher taxes in places like California and New York that push the price higher.

Oil companies insist their earnings, measured against revenue, are in line with other industries. On top of that, rising oil prices have sharply cut profit margins for refining, and that hits the major oil companies which both pump oil and refine it for use as gasoline.

A giant like Exxon Mobil can handle the blow. Its refining and marketing profits for the first quarter were down 39 percent from a year ago, but Exxon still banked a nearly $11 billion profit because of the hefty prices earned on crude it pumped out of the ground.

Smaller refiners arent so fortunate. Sunoco Inc.’s refining and supply business lost $123 million in the first quarter, hurt by lower margins. Tesoro Corp. lost $82 million for the same period.

Huge profits at big oil companies like Exxon Mobil and Chevron are not because of high prices at the pump. Their massive profits are tied to their exploration and production arms, which are benefiting from record crude prices.

Higher crude costs also have squeezed profits at the refining arms of companies like ConocoPhillips, which dont produce enough crude themselves to refine at full capacity without buying more oil from other producers.

Taxes

Other costs are a factor though theyve remained relatively stable.

For example, federal and state taxes added 40 cents to a gallon of gas in the first three months of this year, roughly the same amount as they added four years ago.

Californias 63.9 cents of tax is the nations highest, Alaskas 26.4 cents the lowest. How the money is used varies from state to state, though the federal take helps to build and maintain highways and bridges.

Marketing and distribution costs the tab for delivering gasoline from refiner to retailer were 27 cents to start the year, only 6 cents above the cost four years ago.

The cost of refining added 27 cents to a gallon in the first quarter of this year, a nickel less than what it added in 2004, according to the Energy Information Administration.

That refining occurs at sprawling industrial complexes across the U.S., with most of the biggest along the Gulf Coast. Barrels of crude arrive each day by pipeline, ship and barge. The refineries, by heating, treating and blending the raw oil, turn out products like diesel and lubricating oil.

And, of course, gasoline.

Gas stations

What happens when that gasoline makes its way to your neighborhood gas station?

Major oil companies own fewer than 5 percent of gas stations. Most are owned by small retailers and many of them say they are struggling these days to turn a profit on gas. Thats because wholesale gasoline prices have risen sharply in recent months again (blame it on crude), but station owners have been unable to raise pump prices fast enough to keep pace.

Gas station owners face a balancing act: They must try to maintain a price that allows them to afford the next shipment of gasoline but not give the competition an edge.

Stations pay tens of thousands of dollars for each gas shipment before they see a cent in the register. Eventually, many make only a few cents on a gallon of gasoline, a margin that can disappear altogether when credit card fees are added in.

In the Philadelphia suburb of Havertown, Pa., early last week, Sunoco station operator Steve Kehler received a load of gasoline 9,000 gallons which, at a wholesale price of $3.729 a gallon, cost him 4 cents more than the previous load.

That left him in a sticky situation: Should he raise prices right away to recoup some of his higher gasoline expenses, or should he hold off for a couple of days in hopes his competitors also will have to raise their prices?

The $33,600 Kehler must pay for his overnight gasoline delivery wont be debited from his bank account for a few days. That gives him a little breathing room, time to hold prices steady. Raising prices too quickly will hurt sales.

Ill probably change it to morrow night, at closing, Kehler said. Ill go up 4 cents. That will put Kehler at a gross margin of about 20 cents a gallon. After paying credit card fees, labor and rent, Kehler will be lucky to break even on his gas sales; many times, he loses money on gas, relying entirely upon his car repair business for income.

Most gasoline retailers long ago got past any illusion they can make money by selling gas. They rely on gas sales to drive traffic to their shops, where they hope auto repairs or food and drink sales will help them turn a profit.

Thank goodness for beef jerky and sodas.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What drives the cost of gasoline?

I live in a resort town and It's a holiday weekend. Regular gas is now $4.49 a gallon and diesel is at $5.75
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the convience store company I worked for didn't own any gas in their tanks. the distrubutor did.

we ddidn't have to pay for the gas until it was sold and pumped. we were promised at least 10 cents profit for each gallon sold if we matched local competion prices.

when gas was much lower this was fine, but now every credit card purchase cost 2 to 3 cents on each dollar plus a card use fee, which is usually around 3 to 5 cents a trnsaction.

then you have to factor in all the other expenses of running a business,

the stores are now losing money on every credit card transaction at the pumps.

but, gas sales are a way to draw customers to your store to buy other porducts, which hopefully will make up for it.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have friends that own a station, they have a good location at the entrance to a major toll artery. After playing the price war game for a year or two they found it easier to just add .12 to the cost per gallon and cut staff in half. The profit they gain stabilized and evened out significantly the gas now pays the lease and expenses while the repair shop pays the profit. After Credit card fees, the average profit on a gallon of gas they sell is 4.5 cents. The Oil Company wants them to start competing again but they cannot find an arguement that negates the actual Profit and loss statement which only larger operations run. This is one time that the oil company is stuck in a contract that they dont like because they cant manipulate any further without cutting their sales. You would think they would get smart and drop thie margin to a station that can pump 60,000 gallons a day and used to when they were competing. Now they pump about 12,000 and make more money.

And you think the OIL companies are SMART???
    A token for your thoughts???

TEQ. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I live in a little seaside town and our only Petrol Filling Station closed down,
    presumably they just couldn't make it pay any more...

So now we all have to travel out of town for fuel and I have often had to
    redirect puzzled Holiday Makers who can't understand why there is no Filling Station in a holiday resort...

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Same here in Czech Village no gas stations, we tell them Czech walk everywhere

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

There's plenty of gas in Czech Village, just not the kind you can run a car with!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

9. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What ever happened to the fa~rting yellow guy ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Last week as I arrived at work, I noted my idiot light was telling me my truck was low on gas. Near the end of my shift, I looked around for the best price and found $3.91 at the gas station next to my office. I returned to the office, parked the "company car" and completed some paperwork. Within half an hour, I was in my truck and heading to the gas station. In the 25 minutes it took me to end my shift, the gas price had risen to $3.99!!! Man, was I pissed! And last night, the same station, $4.09!

The paper said expect $6 gas prices next year!

On a lighter note, I thought this was funny... Well, maybe not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe it's the US oil companies who shout oil shortage, but sell our US oil on the open market and ship it overseas. If there is a true shortage then the oil companies should be required to keep all domestic oil in the states. Then we can simply buy the overage from other countries. What is happening is the oil companies are greedy, and are selling domestic oil on the open market for whatever a barrel, and then buy back oil on the open market. Since they have already made their ridiculous profit on the oil they just sold, they don't care what they buy oil back at since they pass the cost on to us. The oil companies make more money on what they sell in Europe, and wont be happy until they have the same profit margin in the US as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes the oil companies are still exporting oil
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just want to know why diesel is so much more than PREMIUM gas. Before and during winter, it's cause they're holding some back for heating, but why so much now?

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    I just want to know why diesel is so much more than PREMIUM gas. Before and during winter, it's cause they're holding some back for heating, but why so much now?
    Greed!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe this little video sums it all up quite nicely...

Crooks and Liars The Colbert Report: Oil Profiteering

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sid