Thread: Volume Mod Parts Source?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Volume Mod Parts Source?

I’ve had so much fun with my vintage machine that I’m getting a modern one as well. The one I ordered has only the factory volume control, so it will need to be modified.

I’ve read various posts about either adding resistors or pots to adjust the machine volume, and there are pros and cons to each. For my purposes I’d like to try the variable pots first. If that doesn’t work I can get resistors from the RadioShack down the street.

Several members recommend the ones from pachislo.com, but they don’t seem to be available from there anymore. Does anyone know of a current source?
    English doesn’t borrow from other languages; it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose grammar!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Falstaff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume Mod Parts Source?

Try the ones sold right here on Pachitalk! I've had great success with this type.

http://www.pachitalk.com/auction/12-...uction_details

Only burned up one on the Indy Machine once, and that was probably because I had to internal vol control on medium when I installed it.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have several options...

1) Install the variable pot. It reduces volume, but severely distorts like a portable device with the volume all the way up. They also burn up in time as they're not rated for the current the amp delivers.

2) Install a 5W ceramic resistor (51K seems to be a good value). Like the pot, it'll add distortion.

3) Install a fixed L-Pad using 2 ceramic resistors like the one above. You can find instructions and calculations at the link below. This is the 2nd best option.

http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm

4) Install a variable L-Pad, such as this 15W from Parts Express. I use this in all my machines.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-251
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys! That was silly of me not to find those pots on the auction site.

(Now you've got me thinking I should take the time to use the variable l-pad...)
    English doesn’t borrow from other languages; it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose grammar!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
    Thanks guys! That was silly of me not to find those pots on the auction site.

(Now you've got me thinking I should take the time to use the variable l-pad...)
    I like them and have installed them in many of my machines. The volume adjustment is on the outside and being rated at 15 watts have never had a burn out issue with them.

Below is the schematic for them.

They also sell a single channel L-Pad.

Parts Express:L-Pad 15W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm

Attached Images Attached Images
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like the small inside ones, myself. I have put them in all of my machines that needed them.
    I liked them so much I started selling them on the auction site now.
    If you have any questions about them like me know.
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to FTKServices

Thanks
    Thanks Received

texasauctions sells a good volume control,and very easy to install..took me 15 minutes on my 007 machine Good luck..Oh,and around 11.00 bucks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

4) Install a variable L-Pad, such as this 15W from Parts Express. I use this in all my machines.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-251

I too have been reviewing all the posts on volume control for my Indiana Jones machine, and think I like the l-pad best. One question though... with the stereo l-pad, do I only need one? IE: wire one speaker to each section of the stereo pad? Or am I missing something here?

thanks to all for all your posts on volume control!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by gabojo View Post

IE: wire one speaker to each section of the stereo pad?

You are correct sir. I also purchased the six pin connextors and wired them in also.

My machines are built into anywhere from one to three Pachi cabinet units. If I want to swap a cell I can disconnect the cell and plug in a different one.

Parts Express:Molex 6 Pin Connector Kit .093" 2 Pcs.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

15. The following user says "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by new in town View Post
    I like them and have installed them in many of my machines. The volume adjustment is on the outside and being rated at 15 watts have never had a burn out issue with them.

Below is the schematic for them.

They also sell a single channel L-Pad.

Parts Express:L-Pad 15W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm

Could you please post a couple of photo's on how you mounted the l-pad to you games and how you wired? I just need to see the real thing to learn how to do it!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Off to work in a bit.

Will take Pic's tomorrow and post them.

In the mean time here is a schematic for the L-Pad.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by millermaster1 View Post
    Could you please post a couple of photo's on how you mounted the l-pad to you games and how you wired? I just need to see the real thing to learn how to do it!
    I install all my machines in cabinets, and mount the L-pad on the bottom (drill a hole, shaft down, knob on the bottom) so I can adjust volume during game play - softer during normal play, and LOUD during fevers!
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

20. The following user says "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unhappy Re: Volume Mod Parts Source?

Sorry I did not get back to you the Next Day.

I forgot. No excuse.

The Pic's are the L-Pad addition to my Fireworks that I got from Greg.

Yes, I know I need to Tidy up the wiring and tie wrap them all together and it is a bit of a bear to turn the lower stair light switch on with the machine closed buy Hey I had to put them somewhere.

You can see the 6 pin connector I used to disconnect the L-Pad from the machine to either remove the whole machine from the cabinet or swap out just the cell.

You also can see how LOW I have the L-Pad set to. Fireworks can be a LOUD Pachi.

Some of the Pachislo's have more than two speakers. Two on the door and a Sub woofer inside. For these I had to use 2 L-Pads. A double for the door speakers and a single for the Woofer as on Cyborg Solider 009

The Pachislo's do not need an in line connector since all the wiring is inside of the Machine.

Hope this helps you.

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm still a little confused...

A speaker has a + and - in your wiring diagram you show a wire splice into the amp. I'm pretty sure all of my games plug into a board and are not hard wire into the amp. I would guess the amp them powers the board. Why do you need to splice off the amp? Or do you mean to splice into the board where the speaker connects?

I have the inline volume controls from our auction site and all I did on those was splice inline. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? They do work!

Thanks, sorry for my lack of skills on this!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by millermaster1 View Post
    I'm still a little confused...

A speaker has a + and - in your wiring diagram you show a wire splice into the amp. I'm pretty sure all of my games plug into a board and are not hard wire into the amp. I would guess the amp them powers the board. Why do you need to splice off the amp? Or do you mean to splice into the board where the speaker connects?

I have the inline volume controls from our auction site and all I did on those was splice inline. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? They do work!

Thanks, sorry for my lack of skills on this!
    Replace the word "Amp" with "Board" in the diagram.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another quick question on this subject. I have an Indy machine, and the 2 speakers plug into a socket (left one green, right one blue).

Do you normally bring the wires from the lpad around the front and splice into the wires there, or is there a way to get to these from the back and keep everything back there?

If anyone has a picture of where they sliced into the speakers wires, I'd appreciate this.

Thanks all!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is on my Star Wars but it's the same Frame as Indy.

I drilled a hole at the top left corner (as you look at the machine) and fed the wires through, then spliced into the wires from those two jacks to the speakers.

It worked out quite well.

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks newintown. I had removed the left speaker, so I routed the wires through that space into the back without drilling a hole. All patched in and now have working volume control!

Thanks to all that posted in all of the various volume control threads, there were immensely helpful!

30. The following user says "Thanks" to gabojo

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS