Thread: ball lifter request...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default ball lifter request...

Hi, sorry I'm not sure if it's the good place to post this request. I'm building a ball lifter, like the orange one available sometime. The path for the balls toward the gear, the motor, the vertical tube, everything work fine.

My problem is the passage from the tray to the path that goes to the gear. Since the path is just large enough for one ball (two cannot be side by side in the path), the hole in the tray is large just for one ball too. This cause a problem because two balls may align themselve over the hole, side by side, and prevent each one from falling in the hole.

If someone have a minute, and the orange ball lifter, could you take a picture of the tray near the path entrance that goes to the gear, so I can see what I can do to prevent two balls from aligning themselve side by side over the hole?

Thank-you very much.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: ball lifter request...

Cool. Just so you know, there's probably a decent market on here for inexpensive ball lifters if you ever wanted to make up a bunch and sell them.

Not having a lifter myself, the only thing I can think of is inserting a tapered interface. If the taper is smooth and long enough it shouldn't jam.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've work a week on the ball lifter, is not pretty, but it work.. I can't have access to other motor, that is the big problem I think. I don't think I would have the patience to handcraft them one at a time.

But I will post some pics, and a resumé of the problems encountered, since everything have been made by hand, with a jigsaw, a drill and a dremel to make the gear.

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by TilionMtl View Post
    could you take a picture of the tray near the path entrance that goes to the gear, so I can see what I can do to prevent two balls from aligning themselve side by side over the hole?
    I'm almost too embarrassed to show this picture of my dirty and rusty old ball lifter :disappoin, but I suppose it's for the greater good . This one's been semi-retired for the moment, as I'm working on a slightly different ball lifting concept for my main cabinets.

lifter.jpg

As you should be able to see, the entrance from the tray part to the path that leads to the gear, is a long slot, just a little wider than the balls themselves. So there's no chance of a ball jam here.

From the point where the ball tray covers the top of the path down to the gear, the path is always at least three balls high, so and balls will build up two or three high against the gear itself, but this isn't any problem as the rotation of the gear will keep everything moving.

Hope this helps.

7. The following 17 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hehehe, thank you very much daverob

well unfortunately, the access to the gear for my ball lifter is one ball at a time.. I will have to find an other way to restrict the entrance without blocking everything..

I think The idea is two have atleast two ball large, so I'm sure the balls don't get stuck in the entrance, then find a way to join the two balls to a single row...

I will let know if I find something.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Take a look at the way the balls align on the front tray of your machine and design it similarly.
    A Hardy har har...

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's not a bad idea, but all my machines, when their front tray are full, they all jam at some point.