Thread: PreWar my next project!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default PreWar my next project!

The challenges are getting tougher and tougher!

My pre war just arrived and it looks as if it were salvaged from the TITANIC. I never knew there were Pachinkos on that ship??

Its really cool and it's very thin maybe 4 1/2" not only because of its design but because it must have been run over by a steam roller. Things have been flattened in the back LOL You really cant see it that well in the photos but most parts have been flattened against the back especially the center pieces.

Its very light maybe 8 lbs at most and much smaller than Vintage pachinkos. I posted a size comparison next to another restoration on progress.

There may be one major bit of trouble as there might be a piece missing. If there should be one which, I believe there should be, it would be on the lower left of the machine connected to the long wire which runs up to the upper ball tray.

The nails are in terrible shape and 1 is missing.

There is no glass as that was missing and there is no Glass door the glass just slips into the frame.

The Frame really is a Frame like in Picture/Painting Frame
    not like in Pachinko Structure frame.

Its really cool and even if I didnt restore it it could go on the wall as artwork.

However if I wanted Pachinko Artwork I would buy a poster. This baby was meant to be played

Well the Mars Arepachi and now this is all good prep for what may be my hardest project yet...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Led Zepplin

2. The following 18 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: PreWar my next project!

1 more pic
    Led Zepplin

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good Luck Eddie, although seeing your previous accomplishments, I don't really doubt that this is going to turn out to be a beautifull restored original

6. The following user says "Thanks" to garfield

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

That looks like a worthwhile challenge and will make a beautiful piece!
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Eddie,

That looks like a very worthy piece of history... I hope to see it shine real soon!

Keep us posted on your progress...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That looks like it's going to be a very interesting albeit challenging
    restoration project,

but if anyone can bring it back to all it's glory, I reckon you're the one!!

As always, it's great to have your step by step pics and write-ups to look forward to...

Good Luck Eddie

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got one very similar that dates to around the same time, probably a little earlier because it has less of the Masamura Gauge in the pins. Winning Pachinko said that Masamura finalized his gauge in 1951 (p22), so I'm using that as my timeline. Also he developed the "All Ten", where pockets would pay out 10 balls, in 1948. Mine is an "All 5" so its likely to be just before 1948, even if it isn't a Masamura machine.

This article on the Pachinko Museum in Japan (The pachinko museum - we make money not art) shows three old machines, one of which is a Masamura "All 10" dated 1950 (fourth photo) and another which is an "All 10" from TenW (fifth photo) dated 1950—which looks like mine because of the three vertical rails at the bottom of the cabinet. Even though yours is missing its cabinet, the shape of the brass plate around the payout tray hole matches mine, so I'm guessing yours is an "All 10" from TenW.

Restoration-wise, the most I've been willing to do so far is to strip all the warped plastic film off of the backboard. The warp was so bad it was trapping balls under the glass. That means that even though I can play it, I run the risk now of balls tracking rust over the printed paper on the back board, and I can't remove the rails and pins to replace the plastic overlay for fear of the rusted metal breaking. I could disassemble the back mechanism if I was willing to replace all the nails that broke, but at this point I'm leaving it as is (a "collectible") and I'll play my Misono when it arrives (fingers crossed).

I'll be glad to send you dimensions of my cabinet if you want to recreate it (unless you have one not shown in your photos). Also any close-up photos you want for reference, though the mechanisms on the back of mine are much simpler. I'm missing the back plate behind the pockets, but I just put a piece of cardboard there to stop the balls.

12. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni