Thread: Woohoo! Fixed it!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Woohoo! Fixed it!

Thanks to Arby and Lazarus for helping me with my old mid-70's Pachinko! With their help and a couple of links I was able to get the confidence to tear back into it. The darn thing hasn't worked for several years and I unsuccessfully tried in the past to fix it. Getting on the forum here and reading, etc. got me really wanting to make this old tired machine work.

Today, I got down to business and moved the machine to the basement workbench and really cleaned all the mechanisms.

There were several things wrong. The center mechanism was gummed up and not operating smoothly from old WD-40 I used to try to make it work better years ago. Do NOT oil these machines or use WD-40 on them. It's a short term fix and you will just gum them up long term.

There was a dead bug all crumbled up and partially blocking one of the chutes.

Lastly, there was a small plastic toy jammed into the upper ball feed. How in the heck that got in there, IÂ’ll never know, but am thinking my young daughter threw it up there sometime years ago. :-?

Haha! No wonder the darn thing was "tired." :oops: Just goes to show what can happen...

While it was out and easy to mess with, I fixed some of the wiring for the 7V miniature lights as well!

Anyhow, the machine is working great again!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad the forum helped and especially Arby and Lazarus.

I have one to refurb now and will be frequenting this section more often myself!

8-)
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No Joke, David a nice little winter project :twisted:

But than again Tulsa is in the same boat
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Slotter, wished I could of help more, I am glad it working for you now!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is so cool... glad you found the answers and encouragement here to dive into it. Aren't they neat???

So... you found a "bug"!!!

Here's the first "computer bug" that was found:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...0/h96566kc.htm

Thought you might find it interesting, considering what you had there. :wink:
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Haha! Yep, found a bug, all right! BTW, I'm so proud of the old lady, had to take a picture of her all working again!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I weren't married, I ask her hand in playing with my balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice machine Slotter! One of the best I have seen! :wink: Nice and shinny. Mine I had to paint . It was not taken care of like yours was :smt023 I am glad the info and links helped.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Why not use WD 40 ? it was used on all old machines and did a great job, Yes I know its not a lube but it displaces moisture and has been used for over 20 years on mine and it works great , and STINKS to , thats the only thing I don't like about it , Now im starting to use spray silacone and get same results but no smell ,My 1 1/2 cents worthj
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WD-40 will lube things up for a short time. But, over a longer period of maybe a year or more it congeals and clogs it up.

I have proof that it will clog things as that was the only thing I ever used on this older machine. It was definitely sticky in some areas from the WD-40.

The purpose of WD-40 is to dry water (Water Dry, 40th attempt is how it got its name) and although it might make a good lubricant, too, not a good lubricant for delicate movements. Don't spray it in your fine watch.............

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

about 30 years ago i bought a pre 1900 music box that played 6 tunes for 100.00,

it was the size of a shoe box all original condition with tune card and a cylinder about 8 inches long.

the only reason i got it so cheap was the cylinder wouldn't move to play other tunes,

but wd40 sprayed on it loosened it up and i resold it for 200.00. :lol:

it would be worth about a grand today :oops:

i use it on my coin hoppers now.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think that the WD-40 is great for loosening parts and making things work again in the short term. I sprayed the WD-40 on this Pachinko 15 years ago. It was very sticky any yucky after all that time. In other words, it was a mess. You could literally put your finger on the old spray and it would stick to you.

Bottom line, if you want it working well 5 or 10 years from now, maybe don't use it???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Take it for what it is worth, but IMO, it is right. I saw it happen with my sticky WD-40 game machine. Do whatever you think is best... :-)

Here is the URL: http://www.angelfire.com/games/pachinko/clean1.htm

Some people recommend oiling everything. I don't since oil tends to attract dust. Use oil very sparingly! Since this device is not working around the clock, like a clock, the wear is minimal and not worth having to oil it. But if it makes you feel better, use Mobil-1 oil or similar grade of motor oil. (Mobil-1 can also be used in clocks!) Remember! A little goes a long way. Less than a drop wil suffice. Don't drown the thing and DO NOT USE WD-40! (BIG dust magnet, traps dust, might as well dump in the sand in it.)

This Nishjin one piece came off pretty easily

Now is the time to clean the back area of the boards too. Check for gunk and dust in the win slots and clean it out.
    When you are satisfied everything is clean, put it all back together, using the original holes for your screws.

Which is a lot easier said than done!

nethippy

I lubricate moving parts with a teflon gel specifically formulated for the purpose. Nothing I've used it on has gummed up. Worked on everything I used it on, even stuff that was 30 plus years old.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by nethippy
    I lubricate moving parts with a teflon gel specifically formulated for the purpose. Nothing I've used it on has gummed up. Worked on everything I used it on, even stuff that was 30 plus years old.
    Nethippy,

Do you have a brand name & where it can be obtained?

nethippy

I got it at Radio Shack. It's called "Lube Gel." It says it's non toxic, non corrosive, won't break down, disperse or turn rancid, does not attract dust, impervious to water, and good from -65 to 650 degrees.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It says it's non toxic, non corrosive, won't break down, disperse or turn rancid, does not attract dust, impervious to water, and good from -65 to 650 degrees.
    Heck, if it did laundry I would marry it!!!! :wink:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got it at Radio Shack. It's called "Lube Gel." It says it's non toxic, non corrosive, won't break down, disperse or turn rancid, does not attract dust, impervious to water, and good from -65 to 650 degrees.
    Thanks! I'm going to check this stuff out!