Thread: Combine Star Wars start pocket sensors?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Combine Star Wars start pocket sensors?

On Star Wars, I have found the lower start pocket pulses battle counter output CN1. The pocket guarded by the claws pulses CN2. I didn't find that upper start pocket had any output to the battle counter terminals. I'd like to have both regular start pockets pulse the CN1 output. Is there a way make both these sensors trigger as the lower start pocket. I tried connecting them in series to the lower start pocket connector on the back but a ball in the top pocket was making it trigger twice. The connector where the upper start pocket sensor plugs in was open.

I'm looking to compare balls shot to balls in the start pockets.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Combine Star Wars start pocket sensors?

In the parlours the battle counter 'start' input is connected to CN3, so if you use that output rather than CN1 or CN2 then you should get a pulse for each reel spin, no matter which start pocket was hit to trigger the reel spin.

This way you shouldn't need to modify any of the sensors or connectors.

3. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
    On Star Wars, I have found the lower start pocket pulses battle counter output CN1. The pocket guarded by the claws pulses CN2. I didn't find that upper start pocket had any output to the battle counter terminals. I'd like to have both regular start pockets pulse the CN1 output. Is there a way make both these sensors trigger as the lower start pocket. I tried connecting them in series to the lower start pocket connector on the back but a ball in the top pocket was making it trigger twice. The connector where the upper start pocket sensor plugs in was open.

I'm looking to compare balls shot to balls in the start pockets.
    Daverob's Dongle, and an Arby battle counter would sure take a lot of the guesswok out of that

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to rubberratt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

CN3 is indeed being triggered by reel spins. I missed that because it doesn't pulse till the end of the spin and I wasn't waiting long enough. This would be good info to include in your Battle Counter FAQ (unless I over looked it). Does CN7(Design Decision2) do anything useful?

Quote Originally Posted by rubberratt View Post
    Daverob's Dongle, and an Arby battle counter would sure take a lot of the guesswok out of that
    The counter, the dongle and even a ball lifter would be easier but then I'd hang the thing on the wall and only turn it on when guests are over. I'd have to find something else to hack or modify to keep me entertained. I've spent much more time building and updating my MAME cabinet than actually playing the games on it. I spent more time making my Nintendo DS able to control all the lights in the house from anywhere there is wifi than playing games on it.

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to PhoneGuy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Speaking of connectors...is it possible to have any other pockets wired into the "Start" pocket? I am just curious. That way, there can be more than one way to spin the reels on a game that only has one "start" pocket.
    Youngjedi

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

...This would be good info to include in your Battle Counter FAQ (unless I over looked it). Does CN7(Design Decision2) do anything useful?
    I can't find my notes for what CN7 does at the moment, I'm sure I've posted something about it before somewhere (but could be mistaken). I've got a few things I'd like to add to an updated Battle Counter FAQ, but I've got too many ideas spread between too little time.

...I'd have to find something else to hack or modify to keep me entertained.
    If you've got the ability, it's a lot more fun to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngjedi View Post
    Speaking of connectors...is it possible to have any other pockets wired into the "Start" pocket?
    I'm sure it would be possible, but it's not straightforward...

The pocket sensors operate like normally closed switches, they open when a ball passes through them. This means that if you wanted to wire more than one of them up to a single input, then you'd have to wire them in series. (If you connected them in parallel, then there would need to be a ball passing through both of them at the same time for the input to be triggered).

The problem is that the sensors are also powered via the input signal pin. If you wire them in series, the input circuitry may not be able to provide enough power for both sensors, causing the input never to get triggered.

It might be possible to do it with a few extra components, but it would be fairly challenging to work out exactly what you need to add, and how to wire it up. (I've given it a few minutes thought, and can't think of any obvious solution).

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for your "few minutes thought"...that answers the question.
    Youngjedi