Thread: New Arepachi just Acquired!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Arepachi just Acquired!!!

What are the chances? Just a short time ago Pachiball posted a thread on a Pachinko that he needed info on.

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23059

I had never seen the Penguine machine before and was fascinated that a modern version of an Arepachi was made.

I had no idea and I love Arepachi machines. Goes to show how really dumb I can be, not that my electrical fauxpas with 7 Shock didnt already prove that!

Then Dishpan entered the thread and went into detail about the game. Then he mentioned another version and went on to say that there was another Arepachi that was similar called Apollo.

I went straight to the Research center and the Taiyo Homepage where for the first time I saw the machines.
    I have been on their page many times but always looking for their Vintage Arepachis never on their Pachinko pages where these machines were found.

Of course I had to have one of these machines for my Arepachi collection.

I couldnt believe I had never seen anything mentioned about them before! Not only that they really look great!!!
    Really high Tech looking from the text to the shooter knob (Which is angled) The engineers at Taiyo really put their heads into this and probably the Penguine as well. After all they invented the Arepachi and I assume these were the first Arepachis made after the laws were once again changed.

Needless to say these are top notch machines and this one puts all of my machines to shame even the Palot when it comes to design of components, Switches knobs fit and finish etc.

I figured they must be hard to comeby as I had never seen them, so I groveled without any shame to Pachiball via IM to see if he would be interested in selling his. OK OK so Im a low life.
    In his wisdom I was politely shown the door.

So there I am wishing that I could get one of these and searching through all of our usual vendors none were to be had, not even on Ebay Japan which has almost everything Pachi related.

2 nights ago I went on Craigslist NY and plugged in Pachinko just to see if this Modern Pachinko had been sold
    ( I dont remember the name) this guy was asking alot and his was the only Pachinko for the last few weeks listed.

His machine was still there LOL and there was a new ad listed. Donkey Kong and 2 other machines one fortune teller and 1 Pachinko $800.

I clicked on the ad to see what he had and my mouth dropped He had an Apollo!!!
    I couldnt believe it, No way impossible.

A quick email to the guy and boom arraingements were made to look at the machines.

I went last night to take a look. The DK was in great shape, the Fortuneteller was from the 70s but not like the kind we are used to seeing lately, it just had a Backglass with some lights and a picture of eyes and mystic things and said Destiny. You inserted a quarter then prompted by a small rectangular LCD strip on the flat part of the cabinet you would type your personal info, then a strip of paper would be given to you with your fortune.

The Apollo was in great condition but I didnt want the DK or Fortune teller No more bucks and no way to get them home. I made an offer for just the Arepachi and he accepted but now Dahlia might want the DK LOL( Hes selling it cheap)and he might just throw in the fortuneteller
    free! With delivery!!!

Well here it is the Apollo Arepachi but I would like to mention to the members that it is not a true Arepachi as Taiyo had originally made. On their original Arepachi machines you were payed out with TOKENS and the balls remained in the machine which is a big difference. (For reference view the Taiyo Electron vid on the homepage) these new machines are played more like Pachinko machines and payouts are with balls.

The Apollo1 is an incredible machine the design is fantastic and its made very well. The lights are really amazing It even appears to have a neon or neon type bulb just behind the moving spaceship in the Cell center. This light seems to cause the snow effect on the video I guess my cam isint that good LOL

The sounds are futuristic and suit the machine and its actions. Their is a little buzziness to some sounds so I will replace the speaker to see if that cures it. Its only bad to someone anal like me. Otherwise its just fine.

Its hard to see in the vid but as balls drop to the center of the cell from the V Tulip they swirl around whereby if your lucky they drop into the (Meteor avoiding Spaceship) and cause the bonus. At least I think its a Bonus LOL anyway it looks really cool but hard to see on the vid due to the lights. Its really great having a Pachinko with an Electromechanical center I dare say more interesting then a Video screen.

Of course I have no idea how to play it. I read Dishpans rules for the Penguine but I couldnt relate them exactly to this version and will have to pick his brain about the machine if he lets me.

One open question to anyone that can answer.

I placed a ball in the top center tulip to see what would happen. It opened and the ball managed to land in the spaceship and seemed to start a bonus but now the tulip has remained open, when does it close again?

I posted some pics, not the best as my cam just couldnt seem to focus last night and I made this quick (Probably my worst machine vid) Just to give an idea of the machine
    that appears to be in a bonus mode.

Once again if you get a chance get an Arepachi!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUqlrtuxQg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Led Zepplin

2. The following 19 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Arepachi just Acquired!!!

Just found the ad pic of the fortune teller anyone have info on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (28.2 KB, 109 views)
    Led Zepplin

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've always liked that one, Eddie. It is one nice looking cell. And I have to admit, after reading Dishpan's great description of the gameplay, I thought there just might be an arepachi in my future too.

SSlots used to put them up on ebay way back. I think TA may have had some at one time too. Haven't seen any in a while though.

My one question is...where the heck are you putting all these machines???

6. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got mine from TA in July but yours is in much better shape than mine. I love this machine and It gets a lot of play.
    the

LLTR

8. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by fronzdan View Post
    My one question is...where the heck are you putting all these machines???
    That answer is surpassing Fermat's Last theorem in complexity!
    Led Zepplin

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I feel your pain Eddie

my home is overloaded too

I still have 3 pachinkos and a pachislo in my kitchen!!
    Last edited by luckydog; 12-20-2007 at 12:15 AM.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I feel your pain Eddie

my home is overloaded too

I still have 3 pachinkos and a pachislo in my kitchen!!
    I dont have a Kitchen!!!
    Led Zepplin

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the club Eddie! This is a great machine.

It is my understanding that the 70's coin op. machines like yours with the 4x4 matrix of numbered lights and 16 lower pockets, are generally called "Arrangement Ball" games.

Arepachi is a unique name trademarked by Taiyo who pioneered games like the Penguin and Apollo 1, which combine elements from the four basic Pachinko game types, including "Arrangement Ball", all into one machine. Each type adds it's own distinctive play style. But I guess in general terms, Arepachi could be thought of as an abbreviation for "Arrangement Ball".

The Main game types are:

- Arrangement Ball games like yours.

- Type 1 is the modern computerized "Dejipachi" or 777 "Fever" type of game play. You line up and match three characters and the bonus door opens for the big payout.

- Type 2 are the "Hanemono" or "Wing/Feather" type of games. You target the "1" and "2" pockets to open the Wings for a short interval to enter the "Chance" area. If you are lucky enough to then enter the "V" for Victory pocket, the bonus fun begins.

- Type 3 are the rarer "Kenrimono" or "Right/Claim/Privilege" acquisition" type of game play for the serious gamblers. A "Tulip" pocket will open under certain conditions for a fixed period of time whereby you must shoot 3 balls into it to obtain the rights to a jackpot. (Rupan had a good explanation for this type or machine but I can't locate it right now.)

- Arepachi's which combine elements from all of the above game types into one machine like your new Apollo 1.

Nowadays what we see mostly are the Dejipachi's and now and again the Wing Type units are released. Taiyo does a great job with their Arepachi's but doesn't release them very often. I was surprized to see Sankyo try their luck with the "CR Vicky Chance" but I prefer the Taiyo's for game play. The "Rights" type of games are rarer still.

I owe my thanks to Logicprobe, Johntofva and Rupan777 for getting me hooked on these lovely machines. Since then a number of our members have picked them up although there hasn't been that much chatter about them in the last year or two.

As far a game play goes, I don't think that I could do any better than what has been said in the past. For example;

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Logicprobe[/b]]Not just hold n' fire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Apollo 1, just like the Penguin, isn't just a "hold 'n shoot" the sweet spot machine! There are at least TWO or THREE sweet spots you need to look for, AND change between them during your salvo of 16 balls! (Like the Penguin, it fires 16, and determines winnings based on how many pockets in a row you've hit at the bottom, pays them out, then releases the shooter for another salvo).

The right most pocket (#16) is a 2x multiplier, so the first shot or two is fired to the right (east) side of the cell. Once you get the 2x pocket, then go for the left (west) side. Some pockets are easy... others are nailed in a way that make them pure luck. There is, however, one gate that scores pocket #7 on the left side (a key pocket in 4 or 5 in a row).

GATE #1 (not pocket 1, but gate 1) is located on the west side of the cell, and will "spin" the two LED numbers. Spins do NOT get banked on this machine, so expect to do this quite a few times before a winning combination of 33 or 77 appears. At this point, the little astronaut shakes with delight!

Once you have the 33 or 77, it's time to aim for Gate #2 at the top of the cell... the flippers for it are now open and lit. Entering that gate will allow the ball to drop into a "whirlpool" area, go through a hole, and HOPEFULLY drop into a little spaceship moving under it. If not, you're back to aiming for Gate 1, but if it does... you're now in the bonus round, and going for Gate #3!!!

A ball in gate 3 opens the side door (flipper) to the spaceship on the RIGHT side of the cell. Placing a ball in the spaceship will result in lighting pockets 11, 12, 14, and 15. The balls that miss the spaceship will surely fall into 13 and 16 (that's the right side), and WHAM!!! BIG payout! This drops a LOT of balls in a hurry, just like the Penguin! Be ready to empty that winnings tray quickly, and get that payout hopper refilled to keep the action going.

The need to change position often on the shooter, and the skill and controlled shooting (the "hold" button on the shooter is the key to enjoyment on this one), makes this machine a refreshing change of pace from other rapid fire pachinkos. The Apollo 1, just like it's cousin the "Penguin", will actually challenge a player... maybe even more so. ***
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    johntofva[/b]]another apollo review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Apollo is one awesome machine. The artwork on the playfield is excellent. I find it more aesthetically pleasing than other Taiyo machines (ie, the Penguin and the all black background). The initial lights and sounds are not too flashy, but again, not annoying either. The volume switch is easily accessible. After opening the front glass window, you can open the bottom section, and it is in the lower left corner. The lowest setting is almost too quite. I leave mine in the middle.

Gameplay: LogicProbe wrote a great review of the overall play above. I won't directly quote from that, but I will re-emphasize some of the points.

The hold button is crucial in this game, since you can't bank spins, once you land one, you have to let it spin, since if you land another one, is will not count and will not spin.

Spinning the reels do not pay balls, the only general payout is when you line 4 or more numbers in a row at the bottom. Mine is nailed pretty tight, so it doesn't happen as much as it should, but it keeps me from loading the payout hopper so much. Logic likes to initally shoot for the "16" slot at the bottom because it gives you double ball payouts for 4 or more in a row. I do the opposite, if I get 4 in a row, then I single shoot full power and go for the "16" if I have any left from my volley of 16 balls. That way I can focus more on the Start Gate to start the spins, instead of always shooting 1-2 balls at the "16" pocket in the beginning of each volley. There is a noise after your last ball goes through a pocket that signifies the start of your next volley, and erases the lit numbers.

I have found 2 sweet spots for the start gate, and I won't give them away, since you'll want to find them on your own. The machine will give you some long dry spells, but the reaches are interesting. They aren't video clips obviously, but they are definitely exciting. If you ever see that little astronaut start shaking his head.. WATCH OUT.. the fun is about to start. Once you line up "33" or "77", you shoot to Gate 2, where the flippers will be open. It will go through the "black hole" (that's what I call it), and then have a chance to drop into the mechanically animated spaceship. ONLY if it drops in there, will the Fever round start. If it misses, then you're back to shooting the start gate.

But the Fever round is amazing. Once that ball drops in the spaceship, you will be treated with a wonderful music and light show. You now have to shoot Gate 3, and then it opens the door of the space ship on the far right. Basically, once you do that, just rinse and repeat to keep that Fever going on and on!! There are LED arrows that point to where you need to shoot next, which will help you through the Fever rounds. I don't think I've made it through all the possible fever rounds, since I was too busy trying to reload balls, and couldn't completely focus on the bonus. From what I read on Taiyo's translated site, there are 14 rounds, and I believe the LED display notifies you of what round you are in. But it's hard to keep track of with all the action going on.

Overall, there are lots of gates to shoot, and although most of your time will be shooting the start gate, the bonus rounds truly use some skill since you have to be aware of what you are trying to shoot for.

What I most like about this machine is that it is a throwback, retro machine. They re-released this in 2004 because it was a favorite among pachinko players. The design reminds me more of American Pinball, with all the electro-mechanical parts. It amazes you because you don't think this machine is capable of the lights and sounds that come from it. Just wait until you hear that little astronaut start yelling! The entire Black Panel that encircles the frame above the glass will lit up a beautiful RED which really makes the machine come to life! The strobe lighting effects are out of this world!

When I think about machines like the Apollo, Penguin, Thunderzone-- They don't have 8"+LCD screens. They don't have all the funny anime characters or movie characters. They don't have theme music you've heard before. However, they are desired because of their orginal style and the gameplay. These are the machines that will be remembered after the movie themes are forgotten, the anime is too childish, or the people & shows are no longer in style. These are the machines that will be collected and cherish by people who LOVE PACHINKO, and not by people who are collecting because they happen to like a movie or character that has been turned into a pachinko.
    As a footnote, the term "Fever" is a registered trademark of Sankyo and is actually derived from their particular game "CR Fever". Bisty also had a game called "CR Fever Twins" but they stopped using the term. They liked it so much that they continue to use this term when describing the "Fever Excitement" of their games ever since. Like "Kleenex" it's become a general term now.

Also, the Pachislo Skill Stop Slot machine is also technically a Pachinko game as it evolved from them as a less technical, more modern and "less monotonous" game for the general public.

Oops, I almost forgot, here is a link to a previous post with pictures on how to open the lower tray door and find your volume control switch.

problems with my Apollo... please help! - PachiTalk
    Last edited by dishpan; 12-20-2007 at 01:36 AM.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

16. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to dishpan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations Eddie and what a lucky find!!

These certainly look to be very interesting Machines,
    I'd definately let one live in my kitchen...

Super Space Theme too!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Apollo is fun, there were LOTS of Apollos (and that one with all the numbers in a row on the front) on ebay last year from TA, Slot usa and a few others, not as many anymore, but I saw the one with all the numbers on it a few weeks ago on ebay!!

think it was this one, not sure how it compares to Apollo or Penguin though!!

PachiTalk Research Center - Taiyo Elec - Sparrow Loyal Retainer - PachiTalk

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have one of these as well. It is a retro and fun game but it is not an Arepachi.

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to dishpan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great info guys thanks! One question How long does the Tulip remain open above the black hole? The tulip on this machine has yet to close I just want to know if its working properly.

Oh yeah is there a reset button? Maybe I can try to reset the machine to close the tulip.
    Last edited by Eddie; 12-20-2007 at 07:40 PM.
    Led Zepplin

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I found the cause of the non closing Tulip. I pulled the center unit from the cell just to check for possible loose wire connectins and discovered that the Tulip arm was missalinged with the Solenoid arm that moves it. It was basically locked in an open position. Now the game is really great and its easy to read the gameplay. I thought that this game just simply poured out balls all of the time LOL. The vid shows the only way the game played because of the stuck open tulip.

Has any owner of the machine cleaned the little piece of plexiglass in front of the moving spaceship by removing it? If so how did you do it ? Did you have to take apart the entire center mechanisim?
    Led Zepplin

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Has any owner of the machine cleaned the little piece of plexiglass in front of the moving spaceship by removing it? If so how did you do it ? Did you have to take apart the entire center mechanisim?
    Congrats on fixing the "tulip".

I spent a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon dismantling my cell in order to clean all the plastic parts. I couldn't find any shortcuts. Actually I spent the entire day cleaning the complete machine.

Everything comes apart and it's not so bad. Take it logically one step at a time and as always, pictures help. The end result makes it all worth while.

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dishpan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you like Apollo, keep an eye out for a machine by Ace Electric advertised as Bugs Life. I think the Japanese translation is Insectland Explosion - it should be in the Research Center. They come up on ebay every now and then. It is the only "Kenrimono" machine I've seen sold in the US. The theme may not attract you at first but it is a great machine where you need to shoot in 3 different places to keep the bonus going and has great sounds and reaches. I've owned it for years and still haven't figured out all the rules.

30. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to luckymoey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

32. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool, thanks for that heads-up, LuckyDog. I was hoping to get one of those after reading Eddie's post (no Eddie, I'm not copying you—really! I just have similar tastes in unique pachinkos).

Now it's official: I'm a pachiholic. Even with my self-imposed limit of only one of each distinct type of pachinko, I've managed to buy one a week since I started in January. That's 10 real pachinkos and one Epoch toy pachinko. My emergency credit card has been enlisted in the cause. Time for an intervention. Please do not tell me about anymore unique pachinkos, I beg you. Everyone just talk about the weather and tell jokes for the next three months while I pay off my debt. I promise to never read an older post on Pachitalk again, or visit the Auction three times a day, or go to eBay every time I have a break at work, or check craigslist before going to bed. Cross my my heart. I've seen the truth of my affliction and it is a sad state I'm in. Is it genetic? Can a cure be found? Maybe there is an experimental anti-pachinko drug I don't know about.

Oh, yeah, and just so you know, long rambling posts are a definite sign of early-onset pachiholicism.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

34. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

its all part of the 12 step program

Thanks
    Thanks Received

37. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like Slots-Pachinko had more than one in stock. Their marketing pitch is as creative as ever, it's Apollo 1, not 13.

From Taiyo Elec history [Google trans.]:
    CR AREPACHI Apollo 1 January 2004
    An entirely new feature, R AREPACHI God with a chance to finally emerged. DOKIDOKIWAKUWAKU fun and it is even more powerful.

Doki Doki Waku Waku is a popular song that appears in numerous anime, but I'm not sure it has anything to do this this machine. The song I heard in Eddie's vid didn't sound the same. I'll check it out when I get mine.

Sometime when I have a few more hours to kill, I'll try and find the original Taiyo Apollo and see if I can determine whether it's based on an anime character or not.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

39. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni