Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did I ruin my machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Did I ruin my machine?

I just got a new machine! I believe its an 80s era Pachinko.

It came without a frame or glass!!! (Got it from ebay Japan) Guess I deserved that without being able to read Japanese.

Back to the point of this thread. I went over the machine briefly as I have no time this week to really look it over.

I gave it a few minutes worth of cleaning but not much.

I plugged the machine into the Japanese 100v transformer that I have and pop the transformers fuse went! Of course I checked all of the connections and for loose wires (where visible without taking the machine apart) installed a new fuse and POP I did it again.
    OK I thought, let me quickly pull the cover off of where the power cord entered the machine and HUH??? No transformer duh! The machine came from Japan and didnt have a transformer installed!!! On the machine where the power cord was connected it said 24v. Damn I think I killed the machine.

So what do I do? I installed a transformer and plugged it directly to the surge protector (not wanting to blow the last fuse that I have for my transformer) I hit the power switch on the surge protector and.. Lights out! I tripped the circuit breaker. Is my machine ruined because of my rush and not going over it the right way?

If not destroyed by some miracle what would cause the fuses to be blown? I cant see anything at least from the wires that I can get to.
    Led Zepplin

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Did I ruin my machine?

Sorry to hear it and to say, 'Sparky Jr', you'll be lucky to have it work again.

What machine is it? There's a chance just the power supply part is fried.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pray to Million God that all will be ok
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

6. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    Sorry to hear it and to say, 'Sparky Jr', you'll be lucky to have it work again.

What machine is it? There's a chance just the power supply part is fried.
    Its the 7 Shock from Newgin.
    Led Zepplin

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Show us a picture of the board where the power goes into the machine (preferably with the plastic case off the board, if it has one). If it is an 80's machine then the power conversion circuits are unlikely to be that complicated and it may be able to be fixed. Though it will take some skill with a multimeter and a soldering iron.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Is that a joke?

Seriously, I hope that your machine is not fried!
    Dawn

12. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like it took the 1 shock from Eddie to do it in..

Hope you get it running.. and my apologies about the bad pun.. i couldnt leave it just hanging there. i hope you understand..

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

7 Shock, you say? Well, you just used up 3 of them.

But I hope your machine can be fixed and thanks for sharing something that may save someone else from a disaster.
    DerbyBoy***WinningPost****SinbadAdventure*****KingCamel*****
    SuperBlackjack*****TombRaider****SpeedRacer****NeoPlanetT***
    :jester:FeverNeoQueen***StarWars*****

16. The following user says "Thanks" to derbyboy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you bad
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ouch! That reminds me of when I was a high school and I hooked up DC stepper motor to 120VAC.

I bet the power supply board isn't that complicated. You may even be able to spot fried parts in a picture.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK heres the lowdown on my stupidity.

1 I rushed to power up the machine blowing out many fuses on my Japanese 100v transformer (I didnt want to plug the machine directly into the 110v apt outlet). I forgot that the machine was supposed to have a 24v transformer connected for home use when the machine is just off the boat (Plane in this case) from Japan

2 I wired in a 24v transformer to the machine and blew the circuit breakers in the apt. It was not plugged into the 100v transformer but straight to the Powerstrip from the 110 outlet.

3 I discovered through an old pic of the 24v transformer that I had it wired THE WRONG WAY!!! the transformer isin't labeled and I ASS umed that the larger wires were for the 110v in. Good thing it was plugged into the surge protector and that the buildings circuit breaker worked !
    I didnt smell anything burned on the small transformer and it was still cold. (Both the surge protector and the main Circuit breaker tripped the instant I flipped the power strip on). had to hunt for a flashlight LOL.

4 I rewired the transformer the correct way (If it still worked) and then plugged it into the Japanese 100v transformer (The transformer was turned on via the power strip) then pop It blew the 5Amp fuse on the machines power board.

5 I checked the transformer out voltage and its reading around 27v.

So now that you all know how dumb I am Here are pics of both the machine and the power board.

6 I removed the power board from the machine and it still blows the 5 Amp fuse with nothing connected to the board.

7 I see no burns on the board at all or on the components.

8 Nothing on the machine ever made a noise and nothing ever lit even briefly with all of my connection nonsense

9 The only time anything on the machine showed that power got to it is when I made the 24v transformer connection (The Right Way) plugged into the step down 100v transformer. It blew the 5 Amp fuse! LOL
    Never at anytime since the first power up did I see smoke or smell anything that might have been burned. I took the PC board off of the machine as well and it looked to be in perfect condition. I pulled the reels out and their electrics looked great as well. Of course there are many other wires that I havent seen yet (Machine lights,Shooter motor assembly,)

10 In the pics on the back of the machine at the top right you can see where the power board was connected.

11 I cannot find a power on/off switch anywhere on the machine

12 There is one Red button to the top left of the Green PC board cover but I think that is just a reset button. (It depress a very small button on the PC board)

13 As I have posted the machine has no glass nor a frame, I need the hinges to make one.

14 I am missing one of the Black push in fasteners and its holder that can be seen missing
    on the left middle side of the Green PC board cover.

Well electronics experts is this machine DOA? Is there a ray of hope or was this one costly mistake?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Led Zepplin

21. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to err is human :amish: to forgive yourself is divine
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll let other techies voice their thoughts... but I would think there's more to the power supply circuitry than just this board.

Also... techies... any thought on what that device is plugged into CN2? Could it be a reverse voltage protection diode that might have shorted with that whack of power?

6 I removed the power board from the machine and it still blows the 5 Amp fuse with nothing connected to the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe View Post

Also... techies... any thought on what that device is plugged into CN2? Could it be a reverse voltage protection diode that might have shorted with that whack of power?
    Follow-up... if this board has been removed from the machine, and it still blows that 5A fuse... that device is the only thing that could be causing it, right?

Of course... it's late and my eyes are tired (AND old)
    Last edited by logicprobe; 12-12-2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll let other techies voice their thoughts... but I would think there's more to the power supply circuitry than just this board.

Follow-up... if this board has been removed from the machine, and it still blows that 5A fuse... that device is the only thing that could be causing it, right?

Of course... it's late and my eyes are tired (AND old)
    That is what I was thinking. The 5amp fuse blows just as you see the board. I plug it into the 100v Japanese transformer which in turn is plugged into the power strip which in turn is plugged into the 110v wall outlet.

I flip on the power strip then pop, another fuse blown!

The other 3 fuses, the 3 Amp fuses and the 2 Amp fuse remain good.
    Led Zepplin

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm agreeing with Logicprobe on this. If none of the plugs are connected and the fuse still blows, the only thing that connects the two lines in is the part at CN2. The other fuses only make connections when other plugs are plugged in.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    to err is human :amish: to forgive yourself is divine
    Im not divine!!!
    Led Zepplin

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Im not divine!!!
    Perhaps... but you ARE worthy!
    Just look at what you've done to rescue so many pachis!
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

32. The following user says "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It won't be a reverse voltage protection diode, as the input is AC, but apart from that I'd agree that this is very likely to be the cause of the fuse blowing.

The Japanese text says that CN2 is a 'breaker' (ブレーカー), so I'd say that it would definitely be some kind of overvoltage or transient suppression device. It would be designed to go short circuit like this and blow the fuse, hopefully before any damage is done to any other circuits.

The breaker in CN2 is not needed for normal operation of the machine, it's just there to protect from incidents just like this (which I assume must be common in Japan as the device is in a socket ), so simply unplug it from CN2, and then try to power up the machine again. First with no connectors connected, just to make sure the fuse holds, then with everything else plugged in. Just make absolutely certain that you're connecting it to a 24v supply this time, as there will be no overvoltage protection without it.

That might be enough to get it to work, if not then you're going to need to trace the wiring from CN1 and repeat the fault finding on the next board in the chain. I wouldn't be too surprised if there are also some blown diodes on the board that has the power conversion circuits, but you might have got lucky!

Hopefully the 'breaker' in CN2 acted fast enough to protect everything else, and was already short circuit when the 24v transformer was connected in reverse. As with it wired like that the pachi would have seen an input voltage of around 500v, which would definitely have caused some major damage if the breaker hadn't caused the fuse to blow.

34. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I really hope you get your machine fixed, but if you don't, there's always Sparkman!!

1992 Pachinko machine - (eBay item 160189959851 end time Dec-18-07 19:20:46 PST)

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

36. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Im going against the crowd on this one the device pictured in the middle of the board labeled js1fj-24 is a power relay and i can tell you this much you blew it to hell with the 100 volt input and most defiantly did it with the 400 volt input (100 stepped up 4 times with backward wiring of the transformer ) the coil on it has to be a puddle of slag ... good part is it probably saved your machine ...if your right unplugging cn2 should stop it from blowing the fuse . if not pull the 3 fuses and see if the 5 stays and place each in till it blows the 5 amp that will tell you allot it may just be more than 1 circuit blown. on better examination of the back of the board you might be correct about cn2 it does provide a direct path across the 5 amp fuse . Good luck eddie
    Last edited by alstonj1; 12-12-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Jeff

38. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast