Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oak Cabinet Build

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Oak Cabinet Build

The cleat approach is viable, but I would still ensure that it was in a stud somewhere. You don't want your machine to drop from any significant height ;(

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I plan on connecting to studs no matter what I do.

Has anyone used the aluminum cleats before? Will they hold a pachinko machine and cabinet?
    - Nick
    If you aren't having fun, then you aren't doing it right!

3. The following user says "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, I got a few things done tonight. The biggest was hitting the hardware store where I like to "brainstorm" on what to use to solve different problems...

Obviously, I have a wall mounting problem, and as you may recall, I have an issue with the hole with slider on the bottom tray on the Lumina frame not dropping balls into the bottom tray of the cabinet.

I think that I have solved the problem with the ball drop.

While in the PVC pipe area, I saw some black PVC pipe fittings. I grabbed a 1.5" coupler (straight piece about 2" long). I will tell you what I did with it in a moment.

I also picked up a PVC piece for the ball drop from the top cabinet hopper to the machine payout hopper. I couldn't find my hole cutter, so I grabbed a variable one to cut the hole. I also picked up some lag bolts (1/4" around by 3.5" long). I already have some big washers. Lastly, I picked up some high gloss black spray paint.

I almost bought some angle iron for the mount since they didn't have metal cleats in stock, and they wanted $22 a piece (and I wasn't sure if I would need two of them)... Besides, I wasn't sure yet as to how I wanted to mount the cabinet, so I held off.

OK. So first things first. I painted the sides of that bottom front piece of the Lumina frame that has the (in my case white) laminate on it. This is in case I decide to still use the cleat and have the machine stick out 1/8" from the cabinet frame. Might as well be prepared.

I set that aside where it wouldn't get dusty, and then went to work on the hole for the top hopper in the cabinet. I measured the PVC pipe, and test cut a hole in some scrap. Nice and snug. Probably won't even need any glue. I had to pound on it to get it out. So then I cut the hole in the top cabinet hopper, and then I set the plywood "ramp" for that hopper in place, and used a pencil to mark the circle from the bottom of the hole. I cut that with the circle cutter as well. A nice fit. Just a hair of hand sanding and it is good to do. I also cut some scrap plywood to use to raise the sides and also the front & back of the hopper, so that when I attach it right next to the hole, it is curved down from all directions to force the balls to roll into the hole... I tested this and it worked great. No funky side arches (cool idea for whomever did that), and everything is snug enough, that I will only have to secure it right by the hole to "pull" it down. I didn't attach it yet as I want to wait until after I stain the inside of the hopper.

Next, for my piece of black PVC. The idea is to make sort of a "scoop" out of it to force the balls to drop down, but towards the front of the machine, and not straight down. To do this, I got out my belt sander with a nice gritty belt on it. I took the PVC coupler, and sanded it at an angle. I wanted the most material possible to create a strong angle. I would show a picture, but no camera today. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Let me try to describe. I could sand at 0 degree angle, which would just be making the tube shorter, or a 90 degree angle, which would essentially turn it into a "half-pipe". I picked something greater than 45 degree so that if you look at one side of the PVC piece, it would look like nothing was sanded off at all, but the other side would be almost gone. I left about 1/8" on the "short" side to make sure that I had something to attach with. My plan is to use some really good modeling CA (super glue that I use with my R/C plane) that is nice and thick, and I can get to stick really solid with some activator (or kicker) that causes almost instantaneous curing of the glue. It is awesome stuff. I would then mount the black PVC to the black piece under the bottom "overflow" tray of the Lumina frame. That bottom piece comes out with 4 screws, so it will be easier to mount when not on the machine.

I didn't glue it up as I got a phone call from my mom who wanted me to do some acting for charity in a couple of weeks. They are looking for someone to play Hagrid from Harry Potter, but that is a different story altogether. Anyway, I just never got back out to the workshop to finish it.

Let's see, I post a "lessons learned" in about every thread entry... Mine for tonight is this:
    Don't trust masking tape for a duct tape's job!

I used masking tape under the hole I cut as mentioned above, and I had a handful of pachinko balls that I dropped in the top tray to see if they would go into the hole... They did, and then the masking tape let loose, and pachinko balls went a-bouncin'... I grabbed the good ol' duct tape, and it never happened for any of the tests after that.

Tomorrow I plan to make the "guide" for the balls coming out of the machine (spent balls) so that they drop to the bottom cabinet tray, and cut the hole for the power switch. I will also put the black PVC piece in place, and most importantly, take some pictures.

It doesn't seem like much, but Wednesdays are really busy for me with my helping out with youth for a few hours from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm, and then I have my paintball team meeting from about 9:00 pm - midnight (the meeting is a voice chat online, and we cover the business we need to and then play an online game for a while)...

I haven't routered the edges yet in fear that my monkeying around with the cabinet may "ding" the nice edges. That will come right after I finalize my cabinet mounting situation. I may just skip the cleat, as nice of a method it is, and just lag bolt the cabinet frame, top AND bottom, to the wall. Then I can cut out the material I need to for the Julie cell to fit, and not need to worry about leaving room for some small cleat (which I would be worried about) to fit. I also wouldn't need to buy either $22 or $44 in metal cleats... Who knows... We'll see what happens.
    - Nick

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on your daughter's achievement... that is quite an honor. I also have a singer in my house, though she hasn't auditioned for anything near statewide. It is very nice to sit in the audience and hear your child sing... it is quite another thing to play American Idol with them
    Dawn

7. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

we are still waiting for the PA convention soundtrack promised by you and LP...

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The PA convention has to happen first
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

PA convention? We need a midwest convention!

I've seen some videos (not sure of when they were from) but will have to watch them again so that I can put faces with alter-egos.
    - Nick

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
    PA convention? We need a midwest convention!
    You already had it. A visit to Arby is the mid-west convention. It's a very intimate affair!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

12. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just remember to bring your wallet to buy breakfast
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

14. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, now back to being on-topic...

Tonight, as I mentioned yesterday, is a busy day, but I got a few things done.

I scrapped the black PVC pipe idea (still have a picture below)... It was just too big to fit nicely, so I took the PVC piece that was originally going to go in the upper cabinet hopper down to the machine's hopper, and did the same with it. I attached it and show it below. It looks like it is right up against the front of the Lumina frame, but that is an optical illusion created by the angle of the picture. I will show it better in future pictures. It is white and hopefully will blend in with the white Lumina frame. Also, it was a little longer so it will guide the balls more. I tested it out, and the balls drop nicely into the cabinet's bottom tray. Reworking, testing, and attaching that took up time that I was factoring in to my To Do list of items, but I got that done. I also cut out a chunk of the top back brace to allow for the cells to fit. Instead of making a clean cut all of the way across, I just cut out the middle section. If I cut all of the way across, I would have to Dremmel of the screws that would be sticking through, etc. Plus, I was just able to use my router to make a clean cut as is, and then sanded the corners round.

I started mocking up a potentially new "spent ball catch" to get the balls out of the machine and in to the bottom tray. I won't go into too much detail, but it should be completely silent IF it works.

Oh, I also have some pictures of the top hopper ramp and "lifts" to get the sides up to create a slope to the center. It isn't screwed down so there is not much slope in the picture, but it shows the progress. Plus I need to get a replacement PVC piece to go in the hole.

I also have a picture of the sides with the oak plugs in place. Go ahead and TRY to find them... I also have the hole cut for the power switch. It took about 10 minutes just to decide where to put it.

Now for the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Nick

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, here is the morning addition of the news from last night...

I managed to get the edges routered. I didn't do the edges right where the machine will be against so that they will stay flush in the end.

I also spent a good amount of time trying out my ball "catcher" for spent balls. I bought a small (diameter), but really rigid, square metal rod, and bent it and cut it to make a "loop" from the back of the machine. This loop was going to be covered in fabric (an old black t-shirt cut) but I was having a hard time getting it stiff enough. So instead, I cut up a couple of really old mouse pads and used that stiffer material to create sort of a lop-sided funnel. I also put a piece down the back side that is straight up and down so that the balls drop down the "funnel" making no sound, and then as they roll to the bottom back, they "bump" into the back mouse pad material, again, no sound, and then the way that I had them cut, it would drop down about 1/2" onto the bottom ramp that had some mroe mousepad material, so again no sound... Works great.

I have a 2 foot x 4 foot piece of 3.5mm black neoprene with black cloth on it coming next week. I will use that for lining my ramps and for the "ball catcher"... It should work great then too.

I once again don't have pictures, so not to let people totally down, I made my first set of drawings using Google SketchUp... Again, these are my first, so they aren't very good. The first two show the wood pieces that I mounted to add a little height to the wire. I predrilled them and then stuck 2" of the square wire down into the holes after I have the wire bent. They are VERY snug, and VERY solid.

The next picture shows my bad attempt of modelling where the neoprene material will go and the general shape of it.

I was going to just use a plastic funnel, but thought that it would be more fun to make something different, and I will get a virtually silent ball drop. Of course, there will always be some "ball against ball" contact, but I can't help that.

Tonight, time permitting, I will do the final sanding of the cabinet, and then stain it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Nick

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your cabinet is looking phenomenal! My hat is off to your building skills

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ken524

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Ken. You gave us some great plans to start with. I've been so careful in the construction process, but should have verified your dimensions to make sure that it would work the way that I wanted it too. Each machine type has different elements that should be taken into account, and I failed to do that. Again, thank you for the great plans.
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
    but should have verified your dimensions to make sure that it would work the way that I wanted it too. Each machine type has different elements that should be taken into account, and I failed to do that. Again, thank you for the great plans.
    Oops... Yeah, all three of my machines vary slightly in dimensions (by maybe 1/8"-1/4" or so). I should probably put a disclaimer in the plans reminding folks to measure each machine.

I'm glad the plans are getting good mileage! It's fun to see people improving on them and adapting them.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to ken524

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ken524 View Post
    Oops... Yeah, all three of my machines vary slightly in dimensions (by maybe 1/8"-1/4" or so). I should probably put a disclaimer in the plans reminding folks to measure each machine.

I'm glad the plans are getting good mileage! It's fun to see people improving on them and adapting them.
    The cabinet fits fine width and height wise, it is just 1/8" too deep for the front to be flush, and the bottom ball tray doesn't stick out far enough to catch the balls dropped from the bottom "overflow" tray in the machine itself. Really, those are the only two "gotcha's" that I have run into.
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ken & Nick ... any thoughts about the two of you (and anyone else?) putting the plans on paper with dimensions and instructions - and then selling the plans on our auction?

THIS PLACE ROCKS !

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ken's plans are available via his web site for free in a .PDF format. I converted it to a Visio file when I was planning on making it out of particle board and laminating it. All of the pieces were cut out of a single 4'x4' sheet. I think I like the "free" approach. The plans "as is" are pretty easy to follow/figure out without a huge write up...
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. Yep, I know about Ken's pdf file - a friend of mine built one from his plan with hardly any mods needed. Turned out great! Any plans of posting your Visio doc with all your modifications once this project is completed? Sure looks fantastic so far!

THIS PLACE ROCKS !

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Why not. I'll post the original Visio document (to Ken's specs) and then an updated one with what I would change. Give me a little time to get them posted. Look for them some time next week.
    - Nick

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's generous of you Nick. We'll all look forward to these.

It is also time to point put Ken's generosity too. Without his hard work many of us would have had no starting point.

Thank you both!

THIS PLACE ROCKS !

31. The following user says "Thanks" to computer bob

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast