Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oak Cabinet Build

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Oak Cabinet Build

OK. I am starting a thread to keep track of the build on my oak wall-mounted pachinko cabinet.

Tonight I have taken everything off of the base frame to make it easier to work with, and I will have pictures shortly.

From there, I will keep a log of my progress.

For starters, I am using Ken's design as a basis, but I'm tweaking it just a little since I am not going to be painting it, and to cut down a little bit on the amount of exposed boards that are oak so that the cost is a *little* more reasonable. During the build, I will note where my cabinet differs from Ken's great design.

Keep your fingers crossed...
    - Nick
    If you aren't having fun, then you aren't doing it right!

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Oak Cabinet Build

Part 1: Disassembly of the Lumina frame...

First I removed the balls from the machine. If you look close at the pictures below, you will see the blue pachinko balls that Arby gave me...

Second I removed the cell from the frame (yadda, yadda... You know the drill. Unplug the 4 pink plugs, unlock the latches)...

Next I set the removed cell next to my other cells. They are chilling out on my couch until I get the cabinet done. (see picture below)

Next, it is just removal of the main door, the sunpack, the upper front tray, and the "frame guts" as I call them. This just took a little bit of tracing the wires, but not much. I also had to remove the mounted power supply (see pictures again)...

Then I removed the "feet" and ended up with the "naked" frame. (yet again, see the picture below)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Nick

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Next step, do a little staining...

I put a little stain on the "naked" frame where the wood from the frame would show through. If I was to paint the cabinet, I would use a little paint here to match my cabinet and to make it more uniformed looking like the frame and cabinet are part of the same plan and not leave the wood frame uncolored so that it would look like it was separate from the cabinet color. Basically, I just stained the edged that would be exposed to make it so that it will blend in better later on... I waited for it to dry and sprayed some semi-gloss polyurethane on it (it was still wet when I took the picture)...

Note: The stain isn't quite as red as it looks in the photo...

More to come tomorrow...
    - Nick

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks good so far, make sure you keep the frame squared
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

8. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Absolutely. The machine frame is pretty solid as is, but when I build around it, I will have put on corner brackets already. It is almost impossible to end square if you don't start square, so you will see that in tomorrow's pictures.

Thanks for double-checking though.
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's a naked pachinko!
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A naked Pachinko!!!

Is that suitable for a PG Board??

oh well I'm sure it will be getting dressed pretty soon...

Nice start nickbuol, looking forward to more Pics,
    as the build progresses...

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
    It's a naked pachinko!

Not naked..."nekkid"!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Horologist View Post
    Not naked..."nekkid"!
    Sorry, my mistake.

*note to self, must play jeff foxworthy dvd more*

Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just another tip...sorry if this is obvious. I didn't take this into account when I was building one of my first cabs...

When you build a cab around the bare...excuse me...the nekkid frame, be sure you have enough clearance to get the rest of the machine back onto it. Don't set the frame into the cab too deeply or it may be tough to get the door back on its hinges. Also take into consideration clearance required to swing the door open.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am a big believer in test fitting of parts before doing anything permanent. I am guessing (I am not at home) that the thin, black plastic "frame" that surrounds the lights will have to "stick out" from the oak frame a little for clearance... Again, I will test fit first and attach second.

Thanks again though... It is ALWAYS great to have the tips prior to doing the build. No sense in making a mistake because I didn't learn from what others have already figured out.
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I actually got a lot done tonight, just forgot my camera at work today (needed it for work stuff oddly enough)...

Anyway, step #1 was to make sure that the wood part of the Lumina frame was square. It was almost spot on, but I put metal corner brackets on to slightly straighten it (less than 1/16" off) and to keep it that way.

Once I had it rock solid, I went about making sure that
    the sides were all flush. no screws/washers sticking out even at all. This could/should have been done first, but it all worked out. My brackets kept it straight and made for easier adjustments to the frame screws.

I then put the main part of the electronic part of the frame back in to do some test fitting and checking for clearance requirements for the door to swing open, etc... The Lumina frame is pretty dang good in regards to not having to do much to make sure that it will fit, and operate, nicely within a cabinet.

Then I had to run kids around to various things...

After a few hours, I was home again, and took a look at my work bench. There was NO WAY that I would be able to easily cut exactly the same size boards unless I did a few things first... Most importantly, I needed to clean my workbench... It was just one large pile of stuff that had been building for about 9 months. Ugh... But I had to do it. It isn't 100% perfect, but man, is it nice to have it usable.

Next was taking my saw and bolting it down to the workbench to keep it still. Measure, remeasure, draw straight lines, and bolt it!

Then I built up a 2 foot wide "jig" that would lift any wood up high enough to be even with the cutting surface, and to also have an "edge" to force the boards to be 20.5" each and every time by just butting them up against the raised edge and cut. I was doing this all with my 12" miter saw (I couldn't figure out how to get my table saw to have a jig, and it wasn't wide enough to get the correct measurements. I also couldn't find any "extensions" for it in town, so miter saw it was.

One note, I did NOT take 20.5" to be anything more than an "average" to "rounded" number to use for estimating cuts, but I made all of my cuts to be exactly the width of my machine. I cut a test piece of wood, and then using come clamps, clamped on some temporary side pieces, and made sure that my test piece that was cut with the jig fit nice and snug, but not oversized. I managed to get it right the first time due to measuring and remeasuring and taking my time in getting the jig exactly right.

Then it was zing, zing, zing as I cut the 20.5" pieces (adjusted to my 20 & 7/16" need) as noted in Ken's instructions. I didn't do the plywood yet as I have to make a couple of measurement to account for my design changes that I will mention later.

So all that I need to cut now are the sides, the bottom front (which will come out of the areas on the side pieces that I will be cutting away) and the two plywood ramps.

I am not sure if I will get those done tomorrow night as Wednesdays are pretty busy for me, but I will at least snap some photos of what I did tonight and post them.

Until next time...
    - Nick

18. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First off, pictures of what I got done last night...

A shot of the jig I used to make my "20.5 inch" cuts, which like I said before, are just a hair different then that.

And a shot of all of my pieces cut to "20.5 inches" thanks to the jig.

I continued to test fit and re-test fit everything throughout the entire process. I don't want to have to buy more wood. The solid oak 1"x12"x48" cost me $22 a piece for each side, so I wasn't going to screw up $44 in wood. The other pieces weren't so bad. You can also see some of the solid pine pieces that I am using for the places that you can't actually SEE the wood.

The following pieces are in oak. The sides, the fron of the top ball hopper, the machine shelf (exposed edge), and the front of the bottom ball "overflow" and "spent ball return" area.
    - Nick

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK. Now for today... Day 3 per se...

I didn't expect to get much done tonight, but surprisingly, I got a decent amount done. I got the plywood cut, and most importantly, I got the sides cut. I needed a piece from the 12" wide side boards to become the front lip for the bottom "tray" so I needed a nice straight cut (as if I didn't want a straight cut???) so I cut most of it with the table saw and then finished off with my jig saw. I then used 6 clamps to line up the two sides and then made the second side the same. Grabbed the ol' sander, and sanded the edge to make it exactly the same on both sides. I still hadn't cut the excess of of the top (remember the plan calls for 42" and I have 48" to work with.

I did another test fit with everything, and made the decision to have the machine shelf just a hair higher (I believe 6" from the bottom) as I have pretty big hands and I want to be sure I can get my mitts in there quickly if needed. Then I lined up everything, and found where I needed to cut off the top. With the two sides still clamped together, one ZIP later with the saw, and it was cut. When I do the construction. I will start at the top and the very bottom, and then just fit the Lumina frame in where it needs to go, and put the shelf in last. This will make sure that I get an exact fit right where I want it without any gaps...

So far, I am really happy with the progress. Everything is cut to size. I just need to cut the bevels into the cleat and the piece that will go above the cleat. Then I am going to get out the router, pick a nice bit, and do some "magic" on some of the edges. Something nice and simple, but to give it that extra level of "class." Then start predrilling holes and getting the counter sinks done.

I will try to get some of the oak plugs made as well. I am hoping that it will work out better than buying plugs. We'll see.

After that I should be able to start staining and assembly.

Just a couple of pictures below. The first one just shows the approximate placement of the Lumina frame on the side pieces. NOTE: The two sides are NOT lined up in the picture, but trust me, they are exactly the same.
    The second picture just shows the bowing of the top ramp.
    - Nick

22. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No pictures tonight, sorry...

I was dealing with a car being in the shop today and then when I got it back at 6PM, I had to run kids for a while. I didn't get time to do anything with the cabinet until 10:30 PM, and even then, it wasn't anything worth showing.

I picked up a small drill press today. I've wanted one for some time now, and it is required to correctly cut the plugs for over the screws. Some assembly was required, and then I took a few minutes to try out all 4 sizes of plug cutters on a scrap piece of wood. So far, I am liking the 3/8" size.

Then I got out the router and my small collection of router bits. I played around with different bits, at different depths, and found a couple that I will have to play around with more and I think I will have the final one picked out with a few more tests.

That is about all I got done tonight. The kids don't have school tomorrow, and my wife works at a school, so she doesn't have to work tomorrow, so I took the day off. I am going to get the yard mowed, and then work on the cabinet some more, but I am heading to Cedar Rapids (Arbytown) for a concert tomorrow night, so we will see how far I get. I plan on sleeping in a little since I will be driving back home around 11PM or Midnight, and I've gotten about 8 hours total sleep the last couple of nights...

I am still dedicated to this thread though. I should be sleeping, and not typing...

Good night.
    - Nick

24. The following user says "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you are building up quite a nice work shop with all these new tools
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yesterday was a crazy day, but I made some progress...

Now that everything is pretty much cut, I took the time to position every board and mark very precisely where the pilot hole for the screws would go for the sides (since that is where almost all of them would go. I then drilled the pilot holes in both sides. This actually takes a little while measuring each hole so that they are evenly spaced and run down the exact center of the boards for maximum holding power.

It doesn't sound like much, but today I should be able to do a little routing of a couple of edges, and start on some assembly. To make the corners spot on, I picked up a 90 degree corner clamp. I also picked up some 24" clamps which should come in handy for helping to hold things in place while I am working on them. While I was at the store, I picked up my counter-sink bit which I will use in my drill press
    for the ones on the edge to ensure the correct depth, but more importantly, that they are straight. My drill press is too small to reach the few that are going to be in the middle, but I figure that I can get those straight enough and I will just take my time.

That has been the biggest lesson. "Take your time!"
    Measure twice, if unsure of a cut, make it a little long and then you can trim it again. On several occasions, I was trimming off less than the width of the saw blade to make sure that it was just right. Take your time drilling, making sure that you are drilling straight. Measure again. Test fit several times as more pieces are ready to test.

I think that I have been more precise about this project than ANY other project I've done, and so far I think that it will be worth it. We should see in a coupe of days when it is all done.

For now, I am off to mow the yard that I couldn't do yesterday due to rain...
    - Nick

27. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you have a router? Its the fastest way to even edges.
    Led Zepplin

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Do you have a router? Its the fastest way to even edges.
    From previous messages above:

"...Then I am going to get out the router, pick a nice bit, and do some "magic" on some of the edges."
    "...I got out the router and my small collection of router bits..."
    "...today I should be able to do a little routing of a couple of edges..."

Yup... Picked up a nice router a few years ago with both the fixed and plunge bases. I borrowed a router once and told myself that I HAD to buy one... They are great! I plan to use it to put a small round on the inside of the from edge of the ball return/payout overflow tray at the bottom, and maybe on the top hopper. The outside edge will be something a little more decorative, but still very simple.
    - Nick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
    From previous messages above:

"...Then I am going to get out the router, pick a nice bit, and do some "magic" on some of the edges."
    "...I got out the router and my small collection of router bits..."
    "...today I should be able to do a little routing of a couple of edges..."

Yup... Picked up a nice router a few years ago with both the fixed and plunge bases. I borrowed a router once and told myself that I HAD to buy one... They are great! I plan to use it to put a small round on the inside of the from edge of the ball return/payout overflow tray at the bottom, and maybe on the top hopper. The outside edge will be something a little more decorative, but still very simple.
    Hmmmmmm guess I need glasses big time!
    Led Zepplin

32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast