Thread: New to Pachinko - simple ? questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New to Pachinko - simple(?) questions

Hello,

I was given a Nishjin pachinko machine that was purchased from an antique shop. By playing around with it, I figured out how to load the balls in the front, and by fiddling with a level on the back, was able to load balls & launch them, and get some balls to payout if any targets were hit. Mechanically it seems to be working correctly, but I have a few questions:

1) Where am I supposed to insert coins? I could not find a coin mech for the life of me...

2) Is this thing supposed to have a back cabinet? The backside of this thing is exposed plastic & levers - the mechanics of the machine.

3) Where is the power supply? There are lights on the playfield, but no obvious place to provide it with power.

4) Am I supposed to have to reach around behind the machine to reload the balls? It seems like this would not be very practical in an arcade environment...

5) Is there a KLOV.com or IPDB.org like site for Pachinko machines? This looks like mine (http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...dpachinko1.jpg)
    but I'm not sure what the name is.

I have fixed pinball machines in the past, so the mechanics aren't overwhelming me. I am just so unfamiliar with the game of Pachinko that I'm not quite sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to yugffuts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New to Pachinko - simple(?) questions

Take a look at the Pachinko FAQ. It will answer many of your questions.

Balls in the Japanese Parlors are purchased and then dropped into the top front tray of your machine. Those are the "coins" you are looking for. Money does not enter the machine, it is handled elsewhere. You will find several interesting vids on how "gambling" in Japan functions, on YouTube as well as other sites. I will post some links shortly.

Sounds like you found a good machine. This will be the start of your addiction if you stick around! Welcome to Pachitalk!!

Keep looking through the threads, you will find out how to build your own cabinet, handle filling the trays, and other modifications.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To PachiTalk yugffuts!!

Sounds like you have a Vintage Pachinko there,

The 'new to' section of the Forum will perhaps be useful to you

also, Pachinkos are open on the backs, mainly Plastic Covers over sectons etc,
    however if you post pictures perhaps some more detailed advice can be given to you from one of our knowledgeable members

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME TO PACHITALK.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So, the idea is:

I enter a Pachinko parlor, and give someone $20 in exchange for a bunch of balls. I go to a machine, drop the balls in, and start shooting. When I'm done, I 'cash out' and possibly come out ahead (hence the gambling).

So, the answers to my question are:

1) Where am I supposed to insert coins? ANSWER: I'm not.

2) Is this thing supposed to have a back cabinet? ANSWER: No

3) Where is the power supply? ANSWER: There isn't one

Follow UP: How do I provide the lights with power, though?

4) Am I supposed to have to reach around behind the machine to reload the balls? ANSWER: Not technically. You would get balls from the manager of the Pachinko parlor.

5) Is there a KLOV.com or IPDB.org like site for Pachinko machines? ANSWER: Unknown.

Thanks guys. I'm learning as I go, but at least now I know I'm not missing half of the game or anything.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to yugffuts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You've learned a lot in only a short amount of time! This forum, btw, is the KLOV of pachinko/pachislo. They are, hands down, the friendliest group I've run across on the internet. Post a related question, and it's virtually guaranteed to get answered by someone who knows. Stick around!

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As for power supplies...If it is a vintage pachinko and only has a few lights, I've seen a lot (and I did it to mine also) of people just use a 9 volt battery. When the winning balls go through the ramp system, or the hopper is empty, the lights light up.

Please Check your machine first about wattage to bulbs. Can you post a picture?
    Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

~~~Welcome to PachiTalk~~~
    There's no need to fear....
    Pachislo: Speed Racer, King Camel, Beast Sapp, Sindbad Adventure, Death Valley.Pachinko: Popeye, Fever Kagetu, Fever Circus, Spiderman Neo American: Red,White,& Blue Deluxe

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't have my camera right now, so any pics would be from my phone (and thus terrible).

I haven't had much time to sit down and look at it too closely. I'll get some pics and look into getting it cleaned up and post back.

Thanks again.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to yugffuts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME !!!
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Allright, so I finally had time to look at this thing, and I have some more direct questions.

Right now, if I load the balls in the front tray, I need to reach around the back and manually pull a lever up in order for the balls to be able to be launched. This seems wrong. I am assuming there is some linkage that has come undone mechanically, but I looked and did not see anything obviously disconnected.

Also, there is a small plastic piece on the front of the tray where the balls are loaded. I am assuming that this is a ball return, if you have loaded balls and decided you want them back. This is working as I described, however I wanted to confirm that this is the correct behavior.

I would also like to get the power (lights) working if possible. I understand that there is no power supply (as such), however I have no idea where to connect the leads. Any help?

Thanks again.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is the upper tray in the back full? That lever you describe is probably the one that blocks the shooter if the upper tray is empty.

There's so much variation in machines of this vintage, so pics are worth gold in these cases.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

20. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Loading the balls into the top try did correct the problem I was having with the balls not loading, however it raised another question.

I dropped balls into all the receptacles on the board, and they all ended up in the back bottom tray...None of them were returned to the player. I thought that was the whole point? If there are no balls returned, and not score kept, whats the point of the game?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All the balls dropped into the pockets should go down to the "spent ball tray" in the back of the machine. But when you dropped a ball into a "Win Pocket" the machine should have rewarded you with balls from the top hopper. You may have a jamb in the ball runs or a linkage for the payout is not adjusted correctly.

I know it has been said before but pictures of the machine especially the back would help wonders in helping get this machine up and running for you...
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The ball you've won with is not returned, but you should get some out the front. Is it not paying out at all? If not, maybe the teeter is down (reference the three pics here). Up and ready is the pic on the left, down and not ready is the one on the right.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate