Thread: Cheesiest ball management system ever!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cheesiest ball management system ever!

I recently bought a vintage pachinko machine like the one I played with at a friend's house in the late 70s, when I was a boy. While shopping for it, I came across so many modern ones that I decided to get one of those, too. I had a few problems with the modern one, and searching for help online I found Pachitalk and realized that I also apparently NEED a case for each of my pachinkos.

I haven't found a case to buy that I like.. most of the little ball funnels on top look goofy, and I've been ruined by all the excellent cases I've seen on Pachitalk--I'm currently infatuated with ken524's design (though I like the ones with the lexan on top, too). I'm fairly handy with the woodworking, but it is too cold right now for anything that complex. My kids are too little to be reaching behind the machine to get balls, and I'm too lazy to keep moving the balls up for them.

So, last night I built a prototype "ball management system" (barely worthy of the name) for my vintage Tiger. Next I will construct a slightly better system for my Sakura.

I used scrap wood I had laying around the garage, half an old flexible cutting board, some scrap cardboard, part of a kleenex box, and an old piece of tupperware. Some staples and finishing nails hold it all together.

On the backside, I built a ramp from a thin strip of wood between boards on edge. It makes a right angle turn to redirect the balls to the front of the machine. Of course, the ramp doesn't really fit under place where the balls drop out on the back side, so the flexible cutting board bridges the gap between the two. Some extra cardboard at the back of the ramp keeps the balls from bouncing out of the ramp. The tupperware sits at the bottom of the ramp to collect the balls as they roll out from behind.

On top, the tissue box serves double duty. First, it works as a spacer to keep the machine from leaning backward towards the wall. Second, it feeds the ball repository on top. I cut a hole in the bottom of the box and wedged some cardboard ramps in place (with cardboard triangles underneath and lots of clear tape all around to help support them) to direct the balls to the hole.

Construction materials were all scrap, except the flexible cutting board, which was old and ugly (we have a spare and now we have an excuse to buy a new one). "Measuring" and building time was about an hour, but I was watching TV with my kids at the same time.

Anyway, assuming I haven't embarrassed myself so badly that I get banned from Pachitalk, I thought you all might get a laugh from this. Or, if you are both lazy and not very handy, you might get inspired to build your own weak and feeble ball handling set up.

Once it gets warm, I'll probably build a couple of cases like ken524's, unless someone can suggest a good place to buy a good case from. The two main features I want are: no goofy-looking funnel on top (goofy funnels should be hidden in a box), and something that actually catches the balls on the bottom, not just a place to put a tray. Y'know, something like ken524's. (ken524, are you selling?)

-T
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to Trey314159

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Cheesiest ball management system ever!

For a mechanical, that's all you need!

Nothing like a little back-woods engineering!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

4. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cool job, you will always build better the second one on. I know, I do every time
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

6. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats on the good job and thanks for sharing! If it works it is right. I hate the reach around and immediatly do something to avoid it. I had feet made and volume controls installed as soon as my last 2 were out of their boxes.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

8. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey McGyver, is that you?

Nice way to use the material you have! If it works, it's a good solution.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan