Thread: Reel Resonance Issue - Not the Motor!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Reel Resonance Issue - Not the Motor!!!

Does anyone know how I can eliminate reel resonance on my King Camel Pachislo Machine? I bought the machine about a month ago from Stealth (eBay purchase). They've been great with packing, shipping and phone support.

When we first got the machine, we noticed that Reel #3 (all the way on the right) was considerable louder than the other two. I immediately attributed this to a stepper motor that was on it's way out. I read the posts on Pachitalk for cleaning and lubing the stepper and followed that to a tee, with no reduction in noise.

I then called Stealth and ordered two replacement stepper motors for King Camel (I thought I'd plan ahead and have a spare...). They shipped quickly, and arrived today. I tried both motors on Reel #3 today, and just like the original - resonance, resonance, resonance.

I noticed that if I put my finger on the edge of reel 3 as it's spinning, the resonance drops, but that's not a viable solution. The main frame for all 3 reels is very rigid (metal and plastic, good solid connections and nothing broken) as are the individual motor frames that slide into the main frame. I think all this rigidity is my problem. However, I can't find any specific piece of the frame that's resonating.

I'm almost tempted to try to replace the complete main frame as well as all three individual motor frames, but I may end up with a rediculously $$$ machine that still resonates. I was hoping to have this solved for the extra $30 I just spent on the steppers...

I'm a mechanical engineer, but I'm not a pachislo machine expert yet . ANY HELP ON THIS ISSUE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Reel Resonance Issue - Not the Motor!!!

you check alinement of the 3rd stepper
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have tried mounting the reel frame on foam tape, it still resonates. I cross braced and that changed the pitch up high enough so it is harder to hear. This is a Yamasa this is about 10 times louder than my KC. still makes noise, now the dogs howl not the wife.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

4. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arbycoffee - Is there a special alignment procedure for the reels? All of my reels are free and clear - no rubbing or touching anywhere...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

chewing gum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by gcisko View Post
    Arbycoffee - Is there a special alignment procedure for the reels? All of my reels are free and clear - no rubbing or touching anywhere...

Sometimes the reels come out of alinement from the factory, bent and if you twist them a little they quiet down.

just my findings in th past
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if youve replaced the reels and its still there and the replacement reels operate ok in the #1 and #2 slots you might consider checking the connections on the third with a meter .a stepper motor is a diffrent animal from a regular motor it needs good connections on all four windings to run smoothly .if one doesnt it creates a studdering action .stepper motors very rarely go bad and if they run well in the first two slots somethings wrong with the third slot ......
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had this problem on quite a few of my machines. What I did that solved my problem on all five machines is loosen all the screws to all three reals, and all the screws at the bottom of the base in front that is housing the reals. Then I aply pressure (alot if needed) at one of the top corners while the reals are spinning, in the direction that shuts them up. Re tighten all the screws making sure everything is still aligned when the front door is closed. And BOOM the reals are quieter than they ever have been. I think this is caused by the brutal shipping process our Pachislos go thrue no matter how good the packaging. The reals and housing get bent out of shape so easily with the slightest bump. Hope this helps!
    PACHISLO: POPEYE, SONIC LIVE, DRAGON DICE, RIO DE CARNIVAL, MU MU WORLD DX, KING CAMEL, SPIN LUCK, SUPER BLACKJACK, BETTY BOOP, SINDBAD ADVENTURE, TOP GUN, DEATH VALLEY, NEO ZETZ, YOSHIMUNE (x2), OSU BANCHO, SECRET TREASURE, DANCE MAN & BANG BANG DASH.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to 01PyTypeR#1140

Thanks
    Thanks Received

SUCCESS!!!

...I should have taken this approach from the start, but as a new Pachislo owner, and a new first time customer of Stealth Home Amusements, I'll just say it's "live and learn"...

I phoned Stealth a few days after I started this thread. I was floored at the EXCELLENT customer service I received. They sent a replacement frame and reel assembly, I put it in tonight and walla! No resonance, no vibration, no problems!!!

Also, the nice lady I spoke with at Stealth invited me to send the first stepper motors I bought from them back for credit, as they didn't realize I purchased them for the machine I bought from Stealth a few weeks earlier.

Bottom line, Stealth Home Amusements is the real deal. I'm sure many of you already know that. They have my highest recommendations.

To all that responded to this thread, thanks for all the suggestions along the way!

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to gcisko