Thread: robocop lcd screen issue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default robocop lcd screen issue

hello! I've been drawn to this forum from receiving a robocop pachinko machine for xmas. However, upon hooking it up the LCD screen on the play field goes all white. occasionally the screen will play a few moments of video (of robocop in his car) and it almost seems like it goes white when it would be going to the next frame of animation or almost like it syncs up with a piece on the play field moving.

I looked through the forums for both similar LCD issues and specific issues with the robocop machine; however, I was unable to find anything specifically relating to this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: robocop lcd screen issue

check all your connections, that usually solves most problem, connectors can loosen up in shipping.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to PachiTalk!!

and a little checking and jiggling about of the connections hopefully will solve your problem...........

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very likely to be a connection problem to the LCD panel itself. If there is no display data getting to the panel, they will usually default to a plain white screen. There should be a flat white ribbon cable leading from the display controller board to the LCD panel itself. Make sure it's fully plugged in at both ends.

The flat ribbon connectors on LCD panels are sometimes difficult to connect to. They usually have a plastic part that will slide a very short way up the ribbon cable to release the cable from the connector. Make sure that this part has been pulled out before removing the ribbon, and also ensure that it is pushed home after the ribbon has been inserted.

If you're not sure about these connectors and where they are or how to connect / disconnect them, let me know and I'll take some photos to show you how to do it.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Very likely to be a connection problem to the LCD panel itself. If there is no display data getting to the panel, they will usually default to a plain white screen.

Well- It doesn't seem like the video cuts out as if there is a loose connection. It just seems to stop suddenly and go all white (i did have it go all black on me one time.) And i'm uncertain if I have to remove the larger board that is screwed down in order to access the LCD (and i can't really see a white flat ribbon cable)

thanks for the info and welcoming!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Usually it's a connector, but I have seen something like this on my Robocop before, which makes you think maybe it isn't.

It was powered up and the screen was working as expected in idle mode. A few minutes later I walked past and noticed the screen was blank/white. I reset the machine and the video came back. It hasn't happened again through multiple power cycles and extensive use.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've checked every connection on the machine. So I'm a bit confused at this point. The more the machine does not work the more I am drawn to it!

When you say "reset" you do mean power cycle, correct?

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there is something wrong with whatever is playing the video on the screen (rather than a connection) some sort of software/memory issue that I am incapable of detecting.

yep....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yep....power toggle fixed it that one time it happened to me. Now that I think about it, I believe at the time I passed it off as the result of some power glitch. Someone had just powered up another machine plugged into the same power strip.

Anyway, it's only happened once.

If you're pretty sure it's not something simple like a loose connector to the LCD or video board, you should snap a pic of the blank screen and contact the vendor. Most will stand behind their machines and help you get that fixed. Plus Robo still seems to be fairly abundant judging by the number of vendors that sell them and the frequency that they are up on ebay. You shouldn't have a problem board swaps if nec.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by fronzdan View Post
    Usually it's a connector, but I have seen something like this on my Robocop before, which makes you think maybe it isn't.

It was powered up and the screen was working as expected in idle mode. A few minutes later I walked past and noticed the screen was blank/white. I reset the machine and the video came back. It hasn't happened again through multiple power cycles and extensive use.
    I have seen my Star Wars was do exactly that a few times. I don't have to power cycle, just activate the start pocket and the game pops back to life like nothing was ever wrong.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is the pachinko kept in a warmer area or cooler, the temp may be effecting it???
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it's been moderate temperature. but probably leaning towards cold.

putting a ball in the start pocket does nothing but make a heck of a lot of really loud noise. the screen remains white.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the help everyone. After the info you gave me (and after re-checking everything) I think I have solved the issue. As suggested for the Star Wars machine in the thread "star wars and the blank screen" I simply plugged the machine in overnight (something I was a little reluctant to do due to some seemingly burnt wiring around the ball payout release thingy, you know- that little black box.) After that I power cycled the machine and the screen has been up and running for longer than it has ever since it arrived.

Hopefully this was the incredibly simple answer.
    Now if I just knew why.

happy 2007!

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to packetsmurf