Thread: If you get an error logging onto Skype plus newbie questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default If you get an error logging onto Skype plus newbie questions

Newbie questions and finds for you veteran Skype users.

Yesterday, Dec. 3rd Logicprobe started a Skypecast that went mostly very well. Clear, fun, and we learned a few things.

First off, when I clicked on the link in his post, it took me to the page where it showed current and pending Skypecasts. All well and fine --- so far.

To get to LPs Skypecast it said to sign in. Sounded simple, but it wasn't, at least for me. I tried, but it would either reject my sign-in name or password. So I had to type in the +99xxxxxx number to get in, which worked fine, but was not the 'proper' way to get in.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the 30 minute limit set by LP is just the time alloted to sign-in to the SC, NOT just the total Skypecast 'broadcast' time.

This morning, Willie and I are talking on Skype, we just 'called' each other and connected without signing in and with no problems at all. We then went to the Skype homepage and neither of us were actually signed-in!

Both of us signed in and it welcomed us. Good. But then something strange happened. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the page that welcomed me as 'tonyjunior1' refreshed, on its own, and I was no longer signed-in. The very same thing happened to Willie!

I also noticed yesterday, too late, that I was limited to the number of tries to log-in. Perhaps that was part of my problem, but I don't know.

Dattia and several others had NO problem logging in, just me and 1 or 2 others. My problem at first was my user name, which I thought was Budge Rahe, but is actually tonyjunior1, so I'm not sure if I had exceeded the number of tries to log in or not, even though it was after several tries that that message popped up. I did try my TJ1 name and PW about the 3rd or 4th try and it still wouldn't let me log on.

So if any of you more experienced Skype users have any suggestions or tips, please post them here. I know this is a rather verbose post, but I'm trying to learn.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: If you get an error logging onto Skype plus newbie quest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Junior
    Yesterday, Dec. 3rd Logicprobe started a Skypecast that went mostly very well. Clear, fun, and we learned a few things.
    Glad you enjoyed it TJ.
    To get to LPs Skypecast it said to sign in. Sounded simple, but it wasn't, at least for me. I tried, but it would either reject my sign-in name or password. So I had to type in the +99xxxxxx number to get in, which worked fine, but was not the 'proper' way to get in.
    You seemed to be the only one with problems entering through the Skypecast's webpage. When you do it that way, you get an extra window that tells you WHO is also in the Skypecast, and also the ability to "request mic" if the host has everyone muted. You CAN dial into it with the +99xxxxxx number, directly from your control panel, but you won't get the extra window that way.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the 30 minute limit set by LP is just the time alloted to sign-in to the SC, NOT just the total Skypecast 'broadcast' time.
    That's correct. Those in the Skypecast remained, but nobody else could enter at that point. And anyone who left after that alloted time, could not return to the same Skypecast.

This morning, Willie and I are talking on Skype, we just 'called' each other and connected without signing in and with no problems at all. We then went to the Skype homepage and neither of us were actually signed-in!
    You were signed into "Skype - The PROGRAM". It doesn't automatically sign you into "Skype - THE WEBSITE". So that was normal.
    Both of us signed in and it welcomed us. Good. But then something strange happened. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the page that welcomed me as 'tonyjunior1' refreshed, on its own, and I was no longer signed-in. The very same thing happened to Willie!
    Sounds to me like "Skype - THE WEBSITE" automatically timed out on you due to inactivity ON THE SITE (not the program). No doubt for your protection.
    I also noticed yesterday, too late, that I was limited to the number of tries to log-in. Perhaps that was part of my problem, but I don't know.

Dattia and several others had NO problem logging in, just me and 1 or 2 others. My problem at first was my user name, which I thought was Budge Rahe, but is actually tonyjunior1, so I'm not sure if I had exceeded the number of tries to log in or not, even though it was after several tries that that message popped up. I did try my TJ1 name and PW about the 3rd or 4th try and it still wouldn't let me log on.
    Again... probably for your protection. My guess is that the website saw your computer trying to log into accounts, with a flurry of different names and passwords... and locked you out for a period of time.

We all learned a lot about Skypecasts yesterday... I learned how to boot uninvited guests that enter within seconds of each other... playing music, making noise, and cussing. I even learned that those PITAs could send me text messages after I booted them. (One suggestion, however, was physically impossible).

In each of the 15 minute periods of testing that we did, I probably kicked a good 50 or so people out. I was busy. REAL busy!!!
    Too busy, perhaps, to answer specific questions on how to use Skype at that time, or how to log into Skypecasts the correct way. I was also trying to accomplish the other things that I originally set up the test for... in between strangers.

Skype needs to develop private Skypecasts, either by invitation or by password entry... plain and simple. If they would do that, we'd have something decent to work with. I sent them my full opinion of what happened yesterday, for what it's worth to them.

Meanwhile, the original conference room (our first test) will be the best choice for everyone concerned... for now.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tony - I noticed you have put your Skype status in your signature, which is what I have done also. However I am not sure if you are aware or not but yours says "I am not telling", which basically means that people cannot tell whether you are on line or not. This may be something that you have done on purpose

Anyway if it isn't & you do want to show the guys on here whether you are available or not (like mine in my signature - see below, then this is what you need to do).

In your Skype box do the following: -
    • Click on "tools" tab
    • Then click on "Options" tab
    • Then click on "privacy" on the left hand side
    • Then tick or check the box that says "always show my status on the web"
    • Then click on "save"
    Then that should do it, unless of course you want to keep it as it is. If you do keep it the way that it is the people you have placed in your contacts will be able to see if you are available, it will just be everyone else.

Hope that makes sense, but if you need any help on this call me

(Thanks go to Doug for showing me how to do this the other day)
    Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chris

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe View Post

In each of the 15 minute periods of testing that we did, I probably kicked a good 50 or so people out. I was busy. REAL busy!!!
    Too busy, perhaps, to answer specific questions on how to use Skype at that time, or how to log into Skypecasts the correct way. I was also trying to accomplish the other things that I originally set up the test for... in between strangers.

maybe they wanted to learn or maybe you just didn't know them from their pachitalk ID's (maybe they were rude also?)I wasn't there I hope to try on the next on
    isn't there a way to conference calls in skype? or is it limited? just wondering?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you LP, Chrish, and Metz (who I did get to talk to yesterday) for your very informative replies!

And my apologies to the Boss for originaly posting this in the wrong place! Thanks for moving it Boss!

LP, I think you're right, my problem was me!

Chrish, I certainly will give you a call in the next day or two to do as you suggest. You'll have to walk me through all the steps though!

Metz, great talking to you, and am looking forward to doing it again!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no problem always nice to meet a new friend

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Chris, you don't need to put it in your signature though. It's in your postbit already.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dont know if its just me.. but most of the time it doesnt show me online even though i am

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In your Skype box do the following: -

* Click on "tools" tab
    * Then click on "Options" tab
    * Then click on "privacy" on the left hand side
    * Then tick or check the box that says "always show my status on the web"
    * Then click on "save"

Then that should do it, unless of course you want to keep it as it is. If you do keep it the way that it is the people you have placed in your contacts will be able to see if you are available, it will just be everyone else.
    Did you follow these instructions?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heck NO!
    Instructions... we dont need no stinking instructions

Thanks

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
    Chris, you don't need to put it in your signature though. It's in your postbit already.
    Thanks Tulsa - I was aware it was on the left hand side in the postbit, I just wanted to make mine a bit more obvious by putting it in the signature line. Hope it doesn't cause you system issues, but if it does let me know & I will take it out.
    Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No issues at all Chris. Just wanted to make sure you could see it.