Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Slot toppers or wall light?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Slot toppers or wall light?

I made a beautiful wall light out of a SBJ belly glass, I love it, it really kicks my little pachi parlor up a notch and adds more much needed light to the room. I was looking for toppers as well but they are few and far between. I will post more pictures, mine is still in the chrome frame the next ones will be put in hardwood frames. I am in the planning stages so I have no pictures of what I am talking about, a photo shop mock up would be as close to a picture as I could get.
    I am asking my fellow members what they would like to see offered. I can make a stand to sit on top of the pachislo to look like a topper sort of like a Bally highboy. Pachiroom's avatar has an image of what I am imagining. only not shortened, full height 5-7" of glass.
    I am going to make a few lights using actual pachislo belly glass. Taco Slots, Continental XXXX, 7 vs Dollars, Bingo, Terminator (1) , 007 I have more and looking for more glass and ideas.
    I am thinking of an oak or Maple frame, suitable for mounting in any room. Or a topper stand painted black, I hate to paint nice hardwood so I probably would make the stands same material as the pachislo cabinets. MDF or nice plywood.
    I will need to find a more inexpensive source for the belly glass to keep the final costs reasonable. I will be making these as a labor of love and not as a source of income. Honestly I need to make doubles as I want to keep these for myself.
    I paid $30 for a belly glass that I made into a light, for myself. I just picked up a few more for about $10 apiece. the light fixtures cost $8.00 the other materials, wood, stain , sandpaper, glue, screws etc ? + my shop time I hope to be able to offer these for members around $40-$50.
    I am still checking on shipping options, These are too big for the flat rate USPS box I was shown at the post office.
    Custom orders would be welcomed. choice of wood, stain, glass all options.

The light I used has the switch on the fixture. I have mine run to the surge strip and it is turned on when I turn on the Pachinko's. I can add an on-cord switch for non game room applications. the switch costs $2 at Lowes. I could mount a toggle on the side of the wall light for a better look but a little more cost.
    Comments ,suggestions, or criticism feel free to leave feedback.
    Again I am not spamming I have non for sale right now but I think it would make a great gift for the Pachi fan, even if it is a gift to yourself.
    I am trying to get a few DigiFlush belly glass now, they could be a nice and homorus light for a bathroom light. For the bath next to the game room.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Slot toppers or wall light?

I think it is a great idea and would love to get one from you if and when you get the ball rolling on this, Sign me up for a King Camel topper with the white chasing x-mas type lights that would go around the frame of the belly glass/topper...excellant idea slothappy144 !
    Betty Boop, Popeye, Austin Powers, Speed Racer, Neo Planet, Fire Express, Dracula Returns, Tarot Master, King Camel. Rio DeCarnival ,Spin Luck

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiroom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I PM'd you Mike.... I do have a project that you might just be the right guy for.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to slotter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter View Post
    I PM'd you Mike.... I do have a project that you might just be the right guy for.
    Your project will mesh with this one nicely as the shop will be already be setup, and already be a mess.
    Is there a market for sawdust? I have plenty.:laugh2:
    Cheers,
    Mike G

8. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiroom View Post
    I think it is a great idea and would love to get one from you if and when you get the ball rolling on this, Sign me up for a King Camel topper with the white chasing x-mas type lights that would go around the frame of the belly glass/topper...excellant idea slothappy144 !
    I never thought of the chasing lights thanks for the idea, thats what I am looking for,
    If Jeff (alstonJ1) can give me a hint on how he did Dattia's boop lights and a cost est. I will defiantly throw it into the option list. might be able to get some of the cool Xmas lights this time of year and later also grab up some of the after holiday markdowns.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

10. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff likes to get technical...I am sure that he will be happy to give you that info
    Dawn

12. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here are pictures of the Super Black Jack experiment #1
    it is OK for a fast and cheap light. only cut 3/4 plywood for a base, mounted the light and 2 screws and picture wire for a hanger. this only worked for this frame it is deep enough and was in perfect shape, The previous owner kept it safe.
    I intend to have classy hardwood frames mostly because the existing frames are in bad shape and can't be mounted easily.
    the photos are with and without flash on. I intend to leave the original corner stamps in place you can replace with your own tags if you want, I did not have tags and needed to cover the holes with something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Mike G

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice, I think with the wooden cabinet like your talking about will give it a whole diffrent feel. I like the decals in place of the serial # and tax id's very clever.
    Betty Boop, Popeye, Austin Powers, Speed Racer, Neo Planet, Fire Express, Dracula Returns, Tarot Master, King Camel. Rio DeCarnival ,Spin Luck

16. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiroom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like a great item to put in the PT auction, Mike.
    Pre-built, I'm thinking you could even list them in services... as long as you'd give a time frame.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

18. The following user says "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is very nice looking. Good luck with your new endeavor
    Dawn

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe View Post
    Looks like a great item to put in the PT auction, Mike.
    Pre-built, I'm thinking you could even list them in services... as long as you'd give a time frame.
    I forgot to mention in my long initial post I intend to list in the PT auction once I start making a few. I also forgot to factor in the cost of selling through the auction site and since this is a very thin profit (ha!) margin the cost would need to be added to the final price. Profit ha ha I could make more $ flipping burgers, just not as fun.
    For the initial test run I will make up what glass I have and see how it goes. For our non US friends I don't know diddley about shipping internationally, again this thread is for ideas.
    I have also considered a DIY kit, to ship flat,. The glass frame would be 1 piece but the box would be unassembled, this concerns me only because the box is the foundation for the light and we don't want the thing to be crooked or fall apart. I could make it with dovetail joints for strength and pre-drill the pocket holes and provide the correct length screws. This is just as time consuming as actually assembling or actually a bit more time because I will machine in the dovetails, assemble it sand flush the tails then unassemble it.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

22. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

international shipping is easy just throw it in a box fill out teh sticky customes form and weaigh the parcel pay the guy / girl at the post office and your done
    dont use a courier o they will want you to fill in a bible sized book of paper work made that mistake once never again i thought i was re wrighting the bible with the things they were asking and then when i got to the last question of how many breaths did i take while filling in the form had to start again as i didnt know i had to count untill then
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

24. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slothappy144 View Post
    I paid $30 for a belly glass that I made into a light, for myself. I just picked up a few more for about $10 apiece. the light fixtures cost $8.00 the other materials, wood, stain , sandpaper, glue, screws etc ? + my shop time I hope to be able to offer these for members around $40-$50.
    I am still checking on shipping options, These are too big for the flat rate USPS box I was shown at the post office.
    Custom orders would be welcomed. choice of wood, stain, glass all options.
    Comments ,suggestions, or criticism feel free to leave feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by slothappy144 View Post
    ...forgot to factor in the cost of selling through the auction site and since this is a very thin profit (ha!) margin the cost would need to be added to the final price.
    I don't think anyone would mind an extra 3% built into that price. What's that... maybe $1.20 to $1.50 or so???
    After all, it supports the site. The ONLY way, in fact, other than Google adwords clicking.

Listings are free, too.

Projected price of box, with pre-made glass
    - $40-$50
    Cost of supporting our favorite site - $1.20 to $1.50
    Keeping admins and mods happy by selling stuff in the proper place - PRICELESS!!!
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LP,
    Absolutely! This was one of the factors in my decision. supporting the site keeps all of us happy if you think about it. If we lose this forum I myself would lose some interest in this hobby, we all make it fun. I for sure would not open my shop to this kind of deal to Ebay. the cost to the Ebay people would probably have to be $125-150 before I would consider dealing with the hassle of Ebay and shipping and payment etc. I feel some trust in this group. BTW if you get one of my creations please wait a least 6 months before reselling on Fleabay.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Raw frame test

I setup some machines and made a test of the frame I am trying the narrow frame to be finished in black. I discovered I can't just rip off the inside of the slot to make a full length rabbet on the stiles i need to only remove the center. photos of mock up with glass, back side showing rabbet, and 2 shapers setup for rail and stile 'production'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Mike G

30. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's all Greek to me, but, it looks good
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Slothappy very nice job, definete thums up on the woodwork, i like it a lot, plus with the lightwood you can customize any color or leave it to be stained .You have your first buyer. If you get me one made with a king camel belly and the white x-mas light trim goin on and the candle to top it off you have your first sale ill give you 70.00 for it !

33. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiroom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

anyone know where I can find a few KC belly glass?! I would want one as well.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

35. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The lights I am using are Lights of America #4108 N they can be daisy chained up to 8 in a row. The cords in the 3 pack kits are short. but could be extended with lamp cord.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i put some belly glasses on the auction site and mike offered to do conversions for new owners. i can send them directly to mike to save on shipping.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast