Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Austin Powers has blown up and lost its mojo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My Austin Powers has blown up and lost its mojo

Hi Guys,I need some help from the techy`s amongst you, My austin power pachislo has blown its internal mains box, Iv only had it a few days, and im livid iv screwed it up,
    heres the jist, I bough it on monday for £50 from a guy on Ebay its in good nick and was working fine when I picked it up from the seller,it has an external power supply to drop 240 mains to 110 as Im in the UK , the power supply got dropped on the floor by my son when I got it home and I hadnt noticed the voltage switch got changed to 110 in and 240 out so you can imagine the external supply popped big time but the machine looked unaffected, i purchased a new supply, checked carefully that all switches were in the correct place , plugged in and switched on, then it all went badly wrong the internal box blew with lots of smoke , i unplugged QUICKLY and opened the machine, a few components are badly burned in the internal power box near one of the heat sinks, the strange thing is that there are no internal fuses that I can see , so my questions are (1) can I get the power box fixed or replaced and at what cost(2) have I damaged the machine further along the curcuitry (3) are there any people in the UKwho repair these machines.
    I really would appreciate any help and advice you can give,
    Thanking you in advance,
    Paul
    Proud owner of.
    Pachislo- Austin Powers- Popeye -HANABI HYAKKEI & Thunderbirds.
    Pachinko- STAR WARS -Popeye - Thunderbirds & Chu Ra Island.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My Austin Powers has blown up and lost its mojo

You might want to check with Steve he is a member here under the name 777heaven. he is a vendor located in the UK. http://www.pachisloandpachinko.com/

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It doesn't sound good to me, you may have blown another board beside the power supply

Check the boards over carefully for burn marks.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with LD. If that power fed past the supply and onto the components, there's no telling what all could be damaged.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the reply`s so far, Iv had a really good look around inside the machine and I can find no other burn damage exept for a glass fuse at the top of the machine which has blown, I will check with 777HEAVEN as I have purchased my first 2 machines from him and infact the austin powers has his stickers all over the inside so it came from him in the first place, here are a couple of pics of the mains and tha damage
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Grommit - Ouch, that looks awful, I am not electrically minded at all so cannot help, but I hope you get it fixed - cause you got that machine at a great price (I was looking to bid on it myself).

There are a couple of members on here that should be able to give you some help when they see your thread.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you
    Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Chris

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok First peace of bad news forget cost efectivley repairing the mains unit theres no way judging from the small amout of visible damage you have ripped it apart with that amount of voltage going through a 110v ac to to 24v rectifyer it would incolve time and parts parts=cheap time = not you will probebly get spares from steve @ 777heven as advised as for the rest of the machine you can only hope that the top fuse popped fast enough to protect teh rest of the machine
    Honist advice is if you can get the power suplie cheap enough to risk the machine been dead then get one and try it fuses are readily avalible from your local maplins chec them all as there is more than just one in there and go from there
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

9. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok thanks for the good advice Dr and for the kind concern from all , I will check with 777heaven for spares and trust in the great God of pachislos that this machine is not ready to give up the ghost, by the way , just how many fuses should there usually be throughout the machine ? cos im having a bit of trouble chasing them down, and is it usual for the mains box to have none at all?
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there is usualy one on the mains inlet of the onternal suplie would probebly be the sort that would have a screw cap over it and usualy on the front by the key and dip switches and after that it varies having not seen th eaustin powers machine in the flesh so to speak i couldent tell you howmany there would be take a look where the cables from the power sulie go to and as they go on to a bord there may be a fuse on that bord to protect the bord from such accidents or spikes when the main power suplie looses the black stuff out

If it chears you up a little you may have read about the crule experiments i have performed on one of my pachinkos during one of these i droped a screwdriver across a live bord by accident (i now use my plastic screwdrivers when machine is live) got a good pop and some smoke out of it turned off changed fuse wached carefuly and powered up the machine is still living today

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

12. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice one Dr glad Im not the only kak handed one around Iv had a really detailed search of all the components and curcuit boards this morning, and here`s what i`v found, I can see no other burnt or affected parts at all, and as for fuses the only one I can find internally is on the top right hand side there is a small board with which feeds the three tumblers (if thats the word), it has a small low blow fuse on it which is still intact, there is not a single other fuse in the whole cabinet,or on any other boards not even a fuse on the main power supply with a screw cap, which I would have expected there to be one or two, you will see from the pic I posted before of the mains case theres no screw cap to be seen, and not a single fuse internally, is this normal,

in fact the switch and key on the front of the mains box in the pic are in exactly the same position as they where when the thing blew its top, isnt that in the off position?
    Last edited by grommit; 09-16-2006 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

heres the good news most likely you just blew the power supply regulators to hell and the rest of the machine has probably survived . I've repaired enough 24 volt machines that have been plugged into 110 unknowingly and everyone had just blown the power supply. the main rectifiers are going to try to out put only what they are designed to put out and dissipate the rest unfortunately they aren't designed to take what you sent through so poof out comes the magic blue smoke and it doesn't work any more . at this point you have two options one being repair the damaged supply (big bucks in tech labor and parts ) number 2 track down a new power supply (the preferred option ) . as for whether its worth doing is up to you but if i were you id do it the Austin powers machine if its an actual Austin and not a custom is a premium machine and worth the money to fix it ,If its a custom machine finding the power supply should be easy considering most customs are made from cheap readily available machines so theres plenty of spare parts to be had .Either way its worth the time and money .This time check the output of the power converter with a meter before plugging it in to the socket and make sure your getting the proper voltage input for your machine (24volt or 100volt )
    Last edited by alstonj1; 09-16-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    Jeff

15. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Jeff thanks for the post and info I asumed it was a 110 machine as it came with a 110 power supply that worked when I first collected it and the machine I have is the same as the one in the Pachitalk museum, but could it be a 24v? here a pick of the supply it came with and worked when I first saw the machine its a dual switcable 240 to 110 // 110 to 240
    Last edited by grommit; 09-16-2006 at 05:06 AM.
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thats a 777 heven power suplie for his 100v machines you have a 100 v machine there and looking at my list austin powers is origonaly a 100v machine

18. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here`s a picture of the model Iv got
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yup thats a real one or a reel one wich ever way you look at it

21. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok so to re-cap my power supply which was attached to the machine was wrongly switched 110 in 240 out which why it blew, I got hold of a new one which was properly switched to 240 in 110 (which is still working by the way) but thats when the internal mains supply blew, would the initial damage have been caused by the first incident and then compounded by the second, or am I on the wrong track
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you will proberbly find the damage was done in the first incodent of putting the wrong voltage in then when the right voltage was put in it it tried to run on damaged components and the bang smoke was a result of the components being damaged just check with a volt meter that the new power suplie is still putting out the correct voltage and hasent been damaged in the prosess it may still come on but its out put might be wrong now

24. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Guy`s I can`t thank you enough for all the time and effort you`ve put in on my behalf, I won` t take up any more of your time now and I will get on to 777heaven and see if he can help me with a spare supply,
    I will keep you posted on my progress,
    And big thanks to all,cheers
    Proud owner of.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

np just want to see a good machine resurected and living again

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The best of luck to you, Grommit! Hope you get it repaired!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Tony Junior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast