Thread: Installing Volume controls how to with pics

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Installing Volume controls how to with pics

While I was installing my volume controls in Million God I thought it might be a good time to show how I do it for all those that might want to add them to their machines.
    The method shown I usually do for machines with very tight areas for working the wires with a soldering iron by adding extensions to the pots.
    In a machine with wires as easy to access as Million God I would have simply soldered the speaker wires directly to the pots but would have still used the heat shrink tubbing to seal it all.
    I used the extension method to show the members a very strong and easy way to add the controllers for any machine.

Pic 1 tools used
    Wire
    Wire strippers
    Soldering iron with fine tip, Piece of ceramic tile to solder on.
    Solder
    Wire cutters
    Heat shrink tubbing
    Lighter
    and of course Volume Controls http://www.autoslot.info/pachitalk.)
    Small flat head screwdriver.
    Not shown are self stick wire retainers to hold wires to machine or Zip ties.

pic 2 shows the speakers to be worked on. Notice that each has 2 wires one
    Red and one White. Either can be used to attach the control unit . I Prefer using the Red.

pic 3 shows the 2 wires connected to the speakers up close.

pic 4 shows 2 volume control units one for each speaker and 4 pieces of cut and stripped back wire to be used to extend the lenght of the controllers small lead wires. The controls are usually soldered directly to PC boards so the leads are very small and fragile. Adding the extension wires makes for easier installation to any machine.

Pic 5 shows the pots with extensions soldered on. To do that I splayed the wire ends and inserted the Pot leads into the splayed wire then gave a partial twist just to hold them together in position for soldering. (They are held ever so slightly this way so only a very little movement will separate them) Then I hold the connection down with the tip of the iron to the ceramic tile keeping both wires in place as well as heating the extension wire. I then hold the solder to the extension wire untill it heats and melts and flows along the extension wire onto the pot lead wire. Never touch the solder to the iron tip and keep the iron away from the pot as too much heat will damage it. The solder flows very quickly so once it does lift the iron off of the connection before it gets too hot. the whole process takes about 7 seconds if done right. At this point the soldering is done.

Pic 6 shows the heat shrink added to one controller and being added to the second. For those that havent used it. It is a protective wrap, sealer and connecting material for wires. It is placed over part to be used and heated with a flame (Lighters work perfectly) very quickly with a sweeping motion.
    The material shrinks very tightly around the area and hardends. Its much better than electrical tape only it cannot come off once on. When you use it do not hold flame in one place and do not hold it too close as it takes almost no heat for the material to work otherwise you will burn it. I suggest practicing on spare wires till you get the hang of it. I use it to protect and strengthen the soldered wire connections. Pic 6a shows 2 finished pots with 4 pieces of Heat Shrink tubbing ready to be connected to speakers

pic 7 shows the Red speaker wire cut ready to receive the controller.

pic 8 shows the speaker wires with the heat shrink tubbing slid into place awaiting the controller wires. You must slip them on the wires first before you make the wire connections!!! I slip them on the speaker wires as it is much easier keeping them in place on those wires then holding them to the controller extensions, while holding the controller and connecting them to the speakers.
    Pic 9 shows close up of wire with Heat shrink tubbing.

pic 10 Shows the red speaker wire and Green control extension wire connected. All that I do is flay both wire ends ,Twist them together and fold them along the extension wire towards the control.This way you can slide the Heat shrink tubbing over the connection easier which is the next step. Do the same to the other wire connections
    Now simply heat the tubbing and you are done! A tight sealed connection.

Sorry that the pic is blured but you can make out the wire pointing towards the pot and not the speaker. With the heatshrink tubbing ready to be slid in place.

Pic 11 Shows one speaker with controller installed. Repeat this process for the rest of your speakers.

pic 12 shows the volume adjutment is done with a small screwdriver. The pots are very very sensitive so you must turn them very very slightly untill the desired volume is reached. Turn clockwise to increase volume and counterclockwise to decrease volume. For those with machines that have built in volume controls you can use these pots to fine tune your volume and still use the built in controls.

pic13 shows the complete installation In Million God

I have to add the pics 6a-13 on the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (114.3 KB, 347 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (185.8 KB, 377 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (156.3 KB, 373 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (89.6 KB, 347 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (67.3 KB, 367 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (67.3 KB, 280 views)
    Led Zepplin

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Installing Volume controls how to with pics

The rest of the pics
    • File Type: jpg 6a.jpg (109.4 KB, 125 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (117.6 KB, 174 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (110.6 KB, 173 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (136.7 KB, 185 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (67.4 KB, 160 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (110.1 KB, 234 views)
    Led Zepplin

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And the final pics
    Led Zepplin

6. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice contribution, Eddie.
    Thanks for posting this. I'm sure many will find it useful.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Where did you purchase the pots and what are their specs? I would like to put those on my Rocky Pachinko machine.
    Thanks, Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by portercbl
    Where did you purchase the pots and what are their specs? I would like to put those on my Rocky Pachinko machine.
    Thanks, Jerry
    I get them from Vince at autoslot http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...=enough+praise

http://www.autoslot.info/pachitalk.

I posted this link in the thread under the tools list but it doesnt seem to work!
    as far the specs I dont know, but they do work on every machine that I own.
    Led Zepplin

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Eddie