Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Pachinko - Wont start first time?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Star Wars Pachinko - Wont start first time?

I believe the problem is in the power supply. Those of us with Star Wars Pachinkos by arbycoffee have no problems as far as I recall reading like you are having. I suggest getting ahold of arby and having him help you replace your power supply.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I be so sorry, i got so many hooked on pachinkos.
    When I tried it, it was so natural, so right, I lost myself in the game and was refreshed to fight the Dragon again.

"Be for-warned"
    The Sphere is very powerful . . .
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Star Wars rates out a minum 6volt Transformer

4. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    Star Wars rates out a minum 6volt Transformer
    I think you mean 6 Amp

Besides, I've got my pachis running on 300VA transformers (12.5 Amps!) and The Sankyo ones still take a few goes to start up in cold weather.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Amp yes my erroe ~ these pain pills make my mind silly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob
    I think you mean 6 Amp

Besides, I've got my pachis running on 300VA transformers (12.5 Amps!) and The Sankyo ones still take a few goes to start up in cold weather.
    You mean you are actually having to switch your Star Wars on and off a few times to get it to play? WOW! remind me to keep a heating blanket nearby if it ever gets cold here. The coldiest I think the room I have Star Wars in has ever gotten was around 50-55 degrees but it has turned on instantly everytime.

Hmmm maybe the man with the purple hat Mr Arbycoffee did his dance around it before shipping my Princess to me

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi all, thanks for all the comments and advice on this. I was wondering whether to return the machine as faulty, but as it seems to affect a few people, I'll see how it goes.

I switched it on this morning, and nothing - although the weather has been a little colder today. I put on some heating and tried again, and the R2D2 startied moving - just a fraction to start with, then a little more.

As suggested, I left it until the R2D2 stopped moving, which must have been around 10 minuntes - then switched it off, and on with the reset button held down, and it started ok ;o)

Its a shame it doesnt start any better, and if anyone comes up with a method of making this machine start first time (for those of us where this is a problem), I would be interested to hear it!

Like I said, it seems odd that the older and cheaper Funky Dog (Franky Dog?) which I bought for £99 starts straight away every time, but the newer (and more expensive) Star Wars does not. Still, when it does eventually start, it is a great machine.

Thanks again,

Mark ;0)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mark,

THese Machines were ran 24/7 in the pachinko Parlors.
    If you set it up with a power source that is safe to be left on.
    One with fuses or breakers, for just incase.

Than leave it on 24/7 .

BUT ONLY IF THERE IS A SAFTY FUSE INLINE

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did a few experiments with the memory backup capacitors this afternoon, while I was waiting for my serial interface investigation program to do another run on the card reader interface.

On both recent Sankyo frames (Victory and Lumina) the only thing that looks like a memory back-up capacitor is located on the power supply boards.

I took two Lumina PSU boards for my Star Wars and two Victory PSU boards for my Janken Battle pachinkos.

Both machines were powered up for half an hour, while the backup capacitors in the spare PSU boards were discharged through a 1k resistor. Both machines were then power cycled, to make sure that they come straight on, then the PSU boards were swapped with the spare ones.

Both machines came back on immediately, but there was a short beep from the Star Wars when powering up first time with a discharged backup capacitor.

So in this case, it doesn't seem that the state of the memory backup capacitor has a great deal of effect on the start up sequence.

When the weather gets a bit colder, I'll try doing the same experiment again.

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I will just stick with the arbycoffee pachinkos as he has a great transformer apparently he puts in all his pachinkos. I don't know the technical reasons why it works every time all the time but if you try a different power source and get the one arby is using that probably (as I said before) will be the answer unless arby is adding some extra magical to his pachinkos to get them to work all the time. But maybe I am just lucky

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by markjbevan
    I switched it on this morning, and nothing - although the weather has been a little colder today. I put on some heating and tried again, and the R2D2 startied moving - just a fraction to start with, then a little more.

As suggested, I left it until the R2D2 stopped moving, which must have been around 10 minuntes
    This doesn't sound right AT ALL.
    But it might give a clue.

Mine has sat for two months, and when I fired it up today, it came right up to ready after R2 synced up.

Gotta wonder if it's losing some of the feedback (servo position?) from the R2 unit. Perhaps it's hanging, waiting for R2 to get into his initialized position?

Don't know how hard it would be to get to them, but you might want to check out any of the connectors to R2, his motors, and his sensors.

I guess there's also a chance that R2's got a little friction causing slow movement. Even though he's younger than me, I know I still need a little "lube" to get moving on cooler days.

Looks like you have a decent electro and/or mechanical background, so check it out.

Could be worth a shot.
    Good luck, and let us know what you might find.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got mine from Steve at 777 Heaven as well.. I keep my machines in a garage (albeit integrated) and have never had any trouble with Star Wars starting. It's up and running to play immediately, even during the cold of winter. It's also been ok after I've gone away for a couple of weeks. I've read Arby say before that the Star Wars can take a while to warm up - it seems strange that your Star Wars from the same source as mine should have problems you've detailed. Has Steve changed the power supply on his machines recently (I bought mine at the beginning of the year)?
    Star Wars, Spin Luck#749. Jet Set Radio, Space Shuttle Pinball & Monolopy quiz machine

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I got mine from Steve at 777 Heaven as well.. I keep my machines in a garage (albeit integrated) and have never had any trouble with Star Wars starting. It's up and running to play immediately, even during the cold of winter. It's also been ok after I've gone away for a couple of weeks. I've read Arby say before that the Star Wars can take a while to warm up - it seems strange that your Star Wars from the same source as mine should have problems you've detailed. Has Steve changed the power supply on his machines recently (I bought mine at the beginning of the year)?
    Mine also came from Steve at 777 Heaven and I have no problems with it at all.

Mine was purchased beginning of July this year.

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe
    Gotta wonder if it's losing some of the feedback (servo position?) from the R2 unit. Perhaps it's hanging, waiting for R2 to get into his initialized position?
    It's something to look into, but I also have cold weather start up problems with my LotR, which doesn't have any motors at all. Though as the symptoms are obviously a little different on LotR, it may be an unrelated issue.

I don't subscribe to the transformer, or power supply issue any more (whether they're gold plated or supplied by Arby ). I've powered my Star Wars from 4,5 and 12.5 Amp transformers, and they've all exhibited the same issues at start-up. The only transformer issues I've ever had with Star Wars is a 2A transformer dropping out during a fever round.

Unless the weather takes a turn for the worse in the next few days, I think my next experiment is going to involve a can of freezer spray.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob
    ....I don't subscribe to the transformer, or power supply issue any more (whether they're gold plated or supplied by Arby )....
    Too bad but you almost had me convinced it was some Magical trick that da man with the purple hat arbycoffee used but as you say maybe I am just one Lucky feller....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe
    This doesn't sound right AT ALL.
    But it might give a clue.

Mine has sat for two months, and when I fired it up today, it came right up to ready after R2 synced up.

Don't know how hard it would be to get to them, but you might want to check out any of the connectors to R2, his motors, and his sensors.

I guess there's also a chance that R2's got a little friction causing slow movement. Even though he's younger than me, I know I still need a little "lube" to get moving on cooler days.

Looks like you have a decent electro and/or mechanical background, so check it out.

Could be worth a shot.
    Good luck, and let us know what you might find.
    OK Team . . . . .

R2D2 has four connectors to check; a blue one with three wires, a deep red one with three wires, a green one with three wires, and a white one with six wires. It seem the juice comes by the white one, but remember I know very little about electronics.

I hope this helps

24. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I remember correctlyArby's Star war cells were new or almost new and not run 24/7 in a palour for who knows how many days, weeks, months.

So a new capacitor may hold a charge longer than one that has many hours of use on it.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

26. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We have to remember as time goes on, the best Star Wars machines have been picked over. What's left may very well be the also-rans.

This does not change the fact this machine is not functioning properly and should be replaced by the vendor.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tulsa

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Vendor made the money, and should follow thru with the product in full working order.

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi All,

Thats really helpgul - thanks for all the advice and thoughts. The machine has now been on for just over 24 hours, and working without problems. If I switch it off now, then on a few minutes later, it starts straight away. I guess this may suggest it starts ok warm but not "cold".

The other machine I had came from Nik at Just Pachinko's. This one has the better transformer (not sure of the specs, but its the £40 one as opposed to the £20 one!). Next time Star Wars is cold, I will try and start it with the other power supply - then I should be able to see whether that is the problem.

Also, I will try and get to the connectors for R2 and make sure they are all firmly connected!

I will keep you updated, and thanks again for everyones help - it really is appreciated ;O) ;o) ;O)

Mark

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast