Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Question???

do you leave your pachislo on all the time or do you guys turn it on when you play it ???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Question???

Turn them off for safety.....
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i turn my off when i am not using them.

but i do this will all electronic equipment that doesnt need to be on....

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

all my machines are on power strips and turned off unless playing.

saves wear and tear and keeps down the electric bill!!!

also if the machine has a transformer it could overheat and cause a fire!!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ditto brothers Ditto, can't burn down a place full of nice Pachi!
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thank you all and now my toy is off

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I echo Luckydog's post.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I leave mine on 24-7-365 but then I'm just different ...... if they are properly protected with a 3 amp fuse in line with the input of the transformer and you use a surge protector power strip thats fuse protected then you can do it with no problem .... but then again what do i know I'm just an electrical supervisor for a railroad that uses electric trains on the north east corridor (Amtrak territory running 15,000 volt or for the electric minded 15kv ) ......... Have a healthy respect for electricity not a fear of it ....
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alstonj1
    ......... Have a healthy respect for electricity not a fear of it ....

Sounds like a great job. We enjoy taking the train from Richmond to New York. Which always has to stop in D.C. to change to an electric engine.

........I use to be a Master Electrician before I went into to medicine. So I know most people do not understand what is being pulled on a home circuit or what that circuit can take. Like I have said in the past on this matter, If you understand what the potential for everything on that circuit is, go for it, leave them on. But if you don't, please turn them off.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

...... if they are properly protected with a 3 amp fuse in line with the input of the transformer
    That's what concerns me about advising people to leave them on. This is something that is NOT installed by vendors... but SHOULD be!!!

I do agree that they should be added, if anyone wants to leave them on.

Just wanted to point that out.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I leave mine on 24-7-365 but then I'm just different ...... if they are properly protected with a 3 amp fuse in line with the input of the transformer and you use a surge protector power strip thats fuse protected then you can do it with no problem .... but then again what do i know I'm just an electrical supervisor for a railroad that uses electric trains on the north east corridor (Amtrak territory running 15,000 volt or for the electric minded 15kv ) ......... Have a healthy respect for electricity not a fear of it ....
    Quick thread hi-jack question: When leaving your machines on 24/7, how frequently do you lose bulbs, belly glass lights, reel lights, etc... ? Obviously, the machines are meant to be left on but when doing so do you find yourself changing bulbs on a semi-regular basis?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff,

What kind of fuse for 15,000 volts (or rather how many amps do those electric rockets pull)?

When you say 3amp fuse in line with the transformer, you mean on the 24volt side right (as comes built in with many machines), or perhaps you don't? If the coil on the 120 volt side short circuited, wouldn't there be potential for harm? I know we all leave wall worts plugged in all the time (generating some heat and therefore using energy - even the little bit of kilowatts they do use.)

For the record, I mod in lighted switches on the 120volt side before the transformers (and power supplys on those that 'ave em.) so I have an external switch and often on a surge protected power bar as well (just to confuse the kid).

An aside (re: healthy respect), I received many shocks throughout my childhood (can you tell?) including cutting a two-prong cord, pluggin it in and touching the ends just to see what would happen and pluggin in a metal u-shaped handle (from one of those gobbldey-gook sets - remember those?) and getting blown clear across the room. You can bet my own kid's room was wired with arc faults and have safety covers on them....

However those experiences (and a few more) and being told at 12 to learn the electrical code because my father wanted to re-wire our house and couldn't read all that well, did teach me respect for the big E. Now, that didn't stop me from sticking my hands into live EM circuits for an occasional surprise when shopping my old EM "Swing Along" pinball though....

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe
    That's what concerns me about advising people to leave them on. This is something that is NOT installed by vendors... but SHOULD be!!!

I do agree that they should be added, if anyone wants to leave them on.

Just wanted to point that out.
    That's not to mention my personal opinion that the sellers should install a three-prong grounded cord (I mod all my pachi slots and chinkos to three wire) since pachis have metal cases (which are grounded within the machine) and are (I assume, correct me if I am wrong, I am no expert) NOT double insulated. On all of the modern machines I have, there is a grounding point, meant to ground to a pachi parlour's house ground wire (usually instead of a three prong plug to suit old style Japanese wiring).

The chance for a shock is rare (for a short circuit to the case and you standing in a puddle or holding on to the faucet), but I have heard of machines leaking voltage and giving their owners a mild "tingle" effect due to low voltage leakage on the case. It'll only take one bizzare accident...
    Last edited by websherpa; 08-22-2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have had my Beast Sapp machine on almost constantly since I have had it. I have my HH on a power strip that I turn off most all the time. My Beast Sapp has all the reel LED's still working and my HH has some out. I have had my Beast longer than my HH. I don't think leaving them on shortens bulb life.
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[quote=websherpa]Jeff,

What kind of fuse for 15,000 volts (or rather how many amps do those electric rockets pull)?

When you say 3amp fuse in line with the transformer, you mean on the 24volt side right (as comes built in with many machines), or perhaps you don't? If the coil on the 120 volt side short circuited, wouldn't there be potential for harm? I know we all leave wall worts plugged in all the time (generating some heat and therefore using energy - even the little bit of kilowatts they do use.)

No i don't mean the 24 volt side I meant the 110 side in case of the primary shorting which causes the overheating and fire potential . and none of the units has it from either the factory or dealers . fuse protection on the 24volt side would require a much larger size then 3 amp and would be redundant since a short on the secondary would overload the primary and blow the 3 amp primary fuse .Much the same as Christmas lights have fuses at the plug for the same reason . as for the 3 wire line cord with ground that should also be added as a safety measure to all machine weather used once in a while or 24-7 .these units have just the same risks as any electric device and should be treated as such but once taken care of the machine is as safe as the tv or for that matter night light alot of people use .as for power consumption at rest a pachislo uses around a half amp or so or the same as a Nintendo power pack that is left in the wall by most people all the time when not playing the game .....

leaving them on doesn't lower the life of the bulbs ,in fact the opposite could be said to be true in some cases turning on and off (cold then hot and back again ) could cause premature bulb failure . mine have been on since i bought them and i have yet to replace any bulbs in either machine these machines are meant for 24-7 use in parlors so doing so at home isn't going to blow bulbs any sooner .. as for the hh and beast zap the led failures are already documented and will happen to all machines eventually but running the machine continually does seem to slow the process its the temperature variant that caused the failure in the led.
    Last edited by alstonj1; 08-23-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I always heard that turning on anything electrical had a surge that shortens the life of whatever, including light bulbs.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

in most cases its the heat (on) then the cold (off) that leads to filiment fatigue and bulb failure and i know most people are asking then what about flashing bulbs ?????? they arent off long enough to cool so there for they dont suffer the fatigue problem . case in point how many people have entered a room in the morning and turned on a light only to hear the all ways wonderful "DINK" as the bulb flashes out . thats caused by the element heating from a cold state and the previous fatigue or low quality taking its toll .
    Jeff

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

interesting indeed...

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you like that ill take my camera in tonight and show you a close up look at a pantograph and just for Wayne ill show ya the fuse for it .in case you don't know a pantograph is the device the train uses to collect current from the overhead power line (called a catanary).
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a flouresent ballast go out, it puked black ooze and became really hot, or more likely became really hot first then the puking. I was glad I was there to shut off power, Sinbad has a similar albiet smaller transformer I am sending it back to grand view products today because it gets hot but won't power the light.
    I leave my PC's on 24/7 ,this shortens the fan life and increases the amount of dust built up inside. But I do not leave the flouresent lights in the shop on .
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this is a common problem with fluorescent ballast usually the bulb goes out first then the ballast overheats and drips tar . But usually you smell it before it gets to much out smells like roofing tar .... i haven't seen it in pachislos to often but any fluorescent ballast will do it ....shop or kitchen ,bathroom or where ever .. this doesnt happen with the newer type inverter ballast (there electronic ).
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast