Thread: My Cabinet: "The Hollywood"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My Cabinet: "The Hollywood"

So I recently got my first pachinko, a Star Wars. Having gone to Japan twice in the last year (the first time for Expo 2005) and a fan of pinball, it seemed a natural fit. The problem was where to put the machine once I got it. I had always thought about putting movie posters in my family room, where we watch DVDs, then...a revalation. Why not use a movie themed pachinko with a marquee style frame? Problem was that all the cabinets I've seen have drawers on the bottom and strange funnel looking areas to dump the balls on top. Not bad for general play, but not high with WAF (wife acceptance factor). Below is my solution:

The first step was the frame, but notice...no holes on the side. It would ruin the illusion (while the three holes seem to provide adequate ventillation for moderate play, it's unplugged the rest of the time). Not having access to the side meant I had to contact Arby for a key. Now access is no problem. The side I am working on here is actually the bottom. I'm drilling the hole for the plug. The second hole is a for a trap door.

Here's the trap door installed. Note that I've placed the box for the balls inside. Instead of opening a drawer I put a bin under the cabinet and unlatch the trap. The balls fall out (very quickly I might add) into the bin (if I'm not careful a few might fall to the floor).

Here's a close-up. No, I don't really lock it (balls aren't that expensive). I just like the latch for it's ease of use. It's no problem to reach under (without looking) and flick it open.

Here it is mounted to the wall. You can see that the internal box (for the balls) is narrow (but long), so it takes no additional space (that's a traditional eight inch wide board). I used the space next to it to hide the stock black power chord (note the white chord which I use to run to the wall [it also tucks back up for a nice clean look]).

This is a shot inside the box. As you can see, I have two small ramps which funnel the balls towards the hole. This is more effective than you might think.

I added furniture pads to keep the machine at an equal height within the cabinet. Note that I've added additional hinges for support.

Here's my wife adding the "wife approved" removable molding (note the velcro). I want to be able to swich out movie-themed machines (maybe Indiana Jones).

Installed (well, I leveled it out later).

A closer shot of the "Now Playing" sign (actually a small box which feeds into the top hole you saw earlier). The sconces are from Lowes (a chain hardware store).

The finished product! So what did we do when we finished? Watch Star Wars, of course.

Hope this gives everyone some ideas. I am by no means a carpenter, just a guy with a table saw. Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tower5; 08-14-2006 at 02:48 AM.

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to Tower5