Thread: Jukebox projects - Anyone?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Jukebox projects - Anyone?

Whether it's for the gameroom... the living room... or the "man cave"... you've probably wanted a juke. I know it's been a wish for me for a long time.

But those full-size jukes can get a bit overwhelming trying to carry them around... especially if you have to go up or down stairs with them. And the price? Wow. And then there are the parts and service. Nice for collectors... but...

In the last few weeks, I've been comparing a number of mp3 jukebox programs for the PC. I've finally settled in on one, and I'm completely enjoying it.

One of my wishes was to interface it with a touchscreen. And that narrowed down the choices pretty fast. I didn't want a mouse-point and click player... been there, have those. I wanted something that had screen buttons big enough to use a touchscreen interface. And something powerful enough to be customized to my liking (skinning as well as button options).

I tried the PC Jukebox, RockBox, and VMJ (Virtual Music Jukebox). VMJ was winning the competition, until the bugs started to surface. What a pain it is to re-structure hundreds of files and their tags when it burped. Known bugs simply weren't being addressed.

Then I found NordBeat Jukebox, and downloaded the demo here.

It would have been a breeze to setup and configure, had I not been "programmed" by the other software to have a tight "structure" in my music files. This program didn't really care... just point it to where you ripped your files, and let it add songs to it's own database. Yup... database. Reports! Scripts!! Tweakable!!! Once I realized that, it has been a joy.

Built-in ripper, Bar mode, Kiosk mode, Admin mode... and (very cool) remote administration via a web browser.

The default skin is cool... but checking the fourms there, I found a skin that looks and acts great on my new HARDWARE toy... a 19" Planar touchscreen LCD.
    It's a Wurlitzer look... RockAha instead of RockOla.
    (see attached pics)

Even though the author (and helpers) are primarily German speaking (author is in Switzerland), there has been no problem communicating with them.

Now it's just a question of if I want to leave this on my main PC, or build a custom box for it.

If you've got your own juke for the gameroom or whatever... let us know what you're using. I know some of the guys that are into Mame mentioned it once or twice. Anyone else?

Here's the pics of the skin I'm currently using with NBJ. (Looks MUCH better at the proper resolution).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to logicprobe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Jukebox projects - Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by logicprobe
    Now it's just a question of if I want to leave this on my main PC, or build a custom box for it.
    Very nice and thanks foir posting this.

If it were me I would go for a standalone as my pc is used for to many other things and this would be a perfect standalone in a gameroom.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd build one, and slap either some pc speakers, or some car speakers in there.
    After my mame cabinet is done, that's next on my wife's list of things for the gameroom.

Best place to see other examples would be the byoac forums
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...board,5.0.html

Here is a guy running nordbeat
    http://members.westnet.com.au/bstone...ox_gallery.htm

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Angry_Radish

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info. I was looking for something that I could run from my Mame cabinet that I'm building.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm really leaning hard toward a dedicated box.

With NordBeat's remote control features, and a wifi interface on the computer that would be running it... I wouldn't need keyboard access after it's set up.

It also has a built-in P2P interface.

I've been ripping CDs now for the last few days, storing them on my home "server". I just point it to that directory, let it scan, and do whatever cleanup is needed for album artwork, etc. The artwork search in the admin section is easy... it opens up a mini-browser with image search results. From there, it's just drag n' drop. DAMN, I wish I would have tried this program FIRST.

Here's another screenshot showing selection by album.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like your music selection LP
    Dawn

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is another approach for those who have to have the 'hardware' as part of the experience:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rowe-Diner-Style...QQcmdZViewItem

This way you can imagine that the big jukebox is 'just around the corner'...
    [D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I Prefer the real thing, thought about connecting my diner wallbox to my pc or alternate ways but put that idea off for a while you can see my avatar is an AMi C 1950 78 rpm jukebox have 3 more 1960 diner hideaway45rpm tube amp,1962 45 rpm tube amp, 1974 45 rpm solid state amp, and a 1988 100cd jukebox, they are heavy and are in need of constant repair only the cd juke is complete electronic beside these jukes have 3 pinballs the old fasion ones, one pachinko and 3 working pachislo's Hanabi,Thunderbirds, and super bingo and a full size pacman video all in the basement

I am still looking for a power supply for my Tametaro dont have to much info about the power supply it is missing there is a transformer in the cabinet to power the "power supply unit"

Theo Braakman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like you've got a great collection...did you post any pics in the gameroom section?
    Dawn

13. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia