Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Beast Sapp: Reel LEDs faulty?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Beast Sapp: Reel LEDs faulty?

Thanks Sailorpatp
    for the great Link.
    So if I need help doing this, I can Call on you to HELP ?
    I need to replace all of my LEDs' on my Beast Sapp

Thanks
    PachiMan2007

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by fronzdan View Post
    Arby's right. Those don't look like they've been reworked at all. They just look like surplus boards that have been tested. The LED packs appear to be the same ones that eventually die.

You're better off getting replacement boards from your vendor using your WARRANTY. Then rework one set with the better LEDs we found. The cost will be around $18 along with some solder work.
    Ok! So I -mailed the vendor I got Sinbad Adventure from to get replacements (under warranty) seeing as how 2 led's are out and a few more are going and this is the reply I got:

Anthony,
    The procedure to change the LED's is a very delicate process. We need to issue a call tag to get the slot machine back to our warehouse for repair. Please email or call us when you have the slot machine packed up in all the original packing materials. We will then issue the call tag for the next business day.

My reply:
    Marie,
    I know how to replace them, there is a very good how to on pachitalk.com on this procedure and would rather not risk shipping damage sending it back and forth 2 times!
    Please just send the replacement led boards so i can fix this without the hassle and risk of shipping damages!
    I can't believe you would risk shipping damages and want to pay for shipping 2 times to replace 3 small led boards that i can replace on my own! It can't be that delicate of a procedure as many members on the forum have done it themselves!
    I await the reply!

I'm tempted to try and replace the LED'S myself but my soldering skills are lacking and i don't want to ruin the boards i have!
    Anyone know where i can get 3 extra LED boards for cheaper than $19.95 each?
    If i had an extra set then i would maybe attempt the replacement of led's on the boards.
    If I do come across another set of led boards, is there anyone on here doing the replacement of the led's for a nominal charge?
    Since it appears the vendor isn't going to be much help, any help on here is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Let me check when I get home...

There's a US vendor websherpa found way back when we first did this. No need to order from across the pond. I ordered the LEDs a couple times from them and they are fast and reliable.

The soldering is not hard - it's actually easier than putting in volume controls because the solder pads are smaller. It's the UN-soldering that's time consuming and a pain in the arse. You have to remove the crappy old LED packs which are in a 6-pin dip package. It makes it a little faster if you cut them out first with a good pair of flush cutters. That way you don't have to get all 6 pins unsoldered at the same time. Solder Wick is a must. Solder suckers...well....they just suck, figuratively speaking. I've done 5 sets of these and that's the way to go.

You also can minimize wiring rework by jumpering the proper pads and relying on the existing PCB traces. It's been a while since I looked at this so I'll have to take a look at mine to refresh my memory. sailorpatp's wiring diagram seems right, but I think I had a way which didn't require so many wires.

When we first looked into this, we tried contacting some different vendors for "dead" boards. Most had said they had thrown them all out . Try sending an email to Gaku...he may have some to sell and he won't try to rip you off selling you dead boards at a premium price.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can see the vendors point of view, how does he know the led boards you send are from his machine.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

US Vendor of the Piranha LEDs:
    http://www.quickar.com/discrete.php

They are towards the bottom of the listing, product name "whpir". They cost more per LED, than the UK vendor, but not sure how it works out with the shipping.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I can see the vendors point of view, how does he know the led boards you send are from his machine.
    Thats a good point, but it would be just as easy to remove the good boards and replace with the bad boards then the ship the game back. So if the vendor thinks he might be getting scammed its better to just send the boards then to have $100.00 plus dollars in shipping fees on top of it.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Chrisdice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the co that I got my LEDs from. Go to middle of page to see the Led. Part number is ( Whipr) when ordering.

http://www.quickar.com/discrete.php?session=

I bought a whole bunch for spares while ordering for my Sinbad.
    Never know when you might need them for a new machine!

Here are once again thx to Fronzdan, pics of the front of the Board with the New Leds in place and how they should be orientated (I noted where the polarity dots are as they can be hard to see.)

and His pic of the back of the board and which resistors were removed.

This should help with anyone who wants to fix thier boards on thier own.

Save this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Led Zepplin

11. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sparks911 View Post
    Ok! So I -mailed the vendor I got Sinbad Adventure from to get replacements (under warranty) seeing as how 2 led's are out and a few more are going and this is the reply I got:

Anthony,
    The procedure to change the LED's is a very delicate process. We need to issue a call tag to get the slot machine back to our warehouse for repair. Please email or call us when you have the slot machine packed up in all the original packing materials. We will then issue the call tag for the next business day.

My reply:
    Marie,
    I know how to replace them, there is a very good how to on pachitalk.com on this procedure and would rather not risk shipping damage sending it back and forth 2 times!
    Please just send the replacement led boards so i can fix this without the hassle and risk of shipping damages!
    I can't believe you would risk shipping damages and want to pay for shipping 2 times to replace 3 small led boards that i can replace on my own! It can't be that delicate of a procedure as many members on the forum have done it themselves!
    I await the reply!

I'm tempted to try and replace the LED'S myself but my soldering skills are lacking and i don't want to ruin the boards i have!
    Anyone know where i can get 3 extra LED boards for cheaper than $19.95 each?
    If i had an extra set then i would maybe attempt the replacement of led's on the boards.
    If I do come across another set of led boards, is there anyone on here doing the replacement of the led's for a nominal charge?
    Since it appears the vendor isn't going to be much help, any help on here is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    If he wants to throw his money away in shipping fees let him. Did the leds just go out or did it get shipped to you like that?
    When Milt ran things he sold the games with the faulty led's as scratch and dents with big discounts. Then he learned how to fix the leds using the info from pachitalk. I guess this is another strike for the new guy.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Chrisdice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice View Post
    Thats a good point, but it would be just as easy to remove the good boards and replace with the bad boards then the ship the game back. So if the vendor thinks he might be getting scammed its better to just send the boards then to have $100.00 plus dollars in shipping fees on top of it.
    Exactly!
    I think this is a case of the new owner being a jerk and just shows in what direction that company is going! Down, Under, Belly side up!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice View Post
    If he wants to throw his money away in shipping fees let him. Did the leds just go out or did it get shipped to you like that?
    When Milt ran things he sold the games with the faulty led's as scratch and dents with big discounts. Then he learned how to fix the leds using the info from pachitalk. I guess this is another strike for the new guy.
    I really would like to cost them money to ship it back and forth to do a simple fix but, I really don't want to risk shipping damage going back and forth, especially with them, the machine otherwise is in awesome shape and i'd like to keep it that way!
    My luck it would get damaged in shipping and that would be a whole new can of worms!
    If they wont send the replacement boards then add another strike on them and i will fix them myself!
    As far as it being shipped that way or not, I have no idea, I have only had it for about 11/2 months and didn't even know about the led problem until the other day when i read about it on here! I was kinda curious why the center reel looked darker than the other 2, now i have my answer, center has 2 out and 1 going, other 2 reels have 1-2 starting to go, not bad yet!
    Thanks to the wonderful people on Pachitalk and the wealth of info I have learned so much!
    Thank you everyone!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Here are once again thx to Fronzdan, pics of the front of the Board with the New Leds in place and how they should be orientated (I noted where the polarity dots are as they can be hard to see.)

and His pic of the back of the board and which resistors were removed.

This should help with anyone who wants to fix thier boards on thier own.

Save this post.
    Thanks Eddie....I was about to go yank one to take another pic. You saved me a few minutes. No wires required, re-use an existing resistor.

1) Cut the 750 ohm resistors out
    2) cut all the old tri-color LEDs out.
    3) Solderwick the leftover pins and solder out of the holes where the old LEDs used to be.
    4) Mount the Piranhas as shown in the pic and resolder them.
    5) Enjoy bright white reliable light behind your reels.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by fronzdan View Post
    You also can minimize wiring rework by jumpering the proper pads and relying on the existing PCB traces. It's been a while since I looked at this so I'll have to take a look at mine to refresh my memory. sailorpatp's wiring diagram seems right, but I think I had a way which didn't require so many wires.
    Just to add a quick note.
    The wiring digram is just what I found in checking continuity with a tester. I found a few shorts on my board and a place that wasn't making a connection and it should.
    I Had to cut connections on the PCB that had a short across the + and - of the many of the LEDs because I used too much heat when I de-soldered the old LEDs (I used a Soldering Gun)Don't use a soldering gun and use solder wick!
    I didn't have to put all those wires on the board. I just wanted to show where the connections should be in the PCB. I did get all the connections right on the board without having to use any jumpers. It did take a while with the continuity tester and a sharp exacto knife.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to sailorpatp

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sinking in here. . . .

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/imag...8a07b49233.jpg

Here is where you remove the resistors

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/imag...8a0558501a.jpg

here is where you need to add jumper at all the colored lines ?
    Why not where you remove the resistors add jumpers there ?

I am really lost again, if it had balls, I would understand better ? I dought it too.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee View Post
    Not sinking in here. . . .

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/imag...8a07b49233.jpg

Here is where you remove the resistors

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/imag...8a0558501a.jpg

here is where you need to add jumper at all the colored lines ?
    Why not where you remove the resistors add jumpers there ?

I am really lost again, if it had balls, I would understand better ? I dought it too.
    You should not need to add any jumpers.
    The Wiring diagram is what the connections are inside the board.

The red is + and it goes from the #4 spot on the plug to the resistors R1 through R6.
    You have cut out R2, R4, and R6. (the 750 Ohm resistors for one element of the old tri-color resistors.)

After the resistor has knocked down the power the connection goes to LED1 and LED2 in series. (shown by the blue lines)
    You should not need to put jumpers if the PCB is not damaged.
    After the power comes out of LED2 it goes to Pin #3 on the plug.(the yellow line)
    The other sets are similar. going to Pin 2 and pin 1. (The green and the long blue lines)
    You should not need to put jumpers if the PCB is not damaged.

The only problem I had was the power was not going through the LEDs, It was leaking by them because of sloppy soldering.
    I did have to cut some of the copper inside the PCB to keep the power going only through the LEDs.
    If you put jumpers across the place where you took out the resistors you would have full power not going through a resistor on the middle pin of the LED socket. This would not be a problem if you were very very good with soldering the new LEDs in , but if you made a connection with that middle spot by sloppy soldering you would blow out the LEDs fast.
    Last edited by sailorpatp; 05-14-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Vendor still insists to ship it back!
    "As part of our warranty, we need to have the slot machine back here at our warehouse for the replacement of the LED's. The repalcement LED's are costly and we need to be sure all is properly installed to keep the warranty in effect. You do not need to worry about any shipping damage, you're covered. Please let me know when the slot machine is boxed and ready for pick up."
    Like i'm going to trust anything they say! Not anymore!

I'm not even going to deal with them, I will fix them myself!
    Thanks to the wonderful forum we call pachitalk and the great knowledgeable
    people on here I now know how to do it!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seems pretty dumb to me, but if that's how their warranty works, I guess you have to do as they say or just spring for the boards elsewhere. Try some of the other vendors and ask if they'll sell you dead boards for a nominal fee.

Really, you can just use the ones you have now and forget getting the second set. Buy solder-wick. Practice on an old PC board. It's not difficult if you have a good soldering iron, with a nice tip on it.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to fronzdan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=sparks911;216251I'm not even going to deal with them, I will fix them myself!
    Thanks to the wonderful forum we call pachitalk and the great knowledgeable
    people on here I now know how to do it![/QUOTE]

If all else fails send me the boards and replacement LEDs and Ill install them for you.
    Led Zepplin

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I just got my new LEDs from the UK and got one set installed.

Here is a pic of the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rocky, King Camel, Terminator, Popeye, Sindbad Adventure, Super Blackjack, Babel, Death Valley ---- Pinball Machines: Star Trek TNG, Black Knight 2000, Theatre of Magic, Mystery Castle, Starship Troopers, SlugFast, Firepower, Baywatch, Checkpoint, Grand Prix

28. The following user says "Thanks" to fast toys

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I guess it is a bad night for spelling.
    Rocky, King Camel, Terminator, Popeye, Sindbad Adventure, Super Blackjack, Babel, Death Valley ---- Pinball Machines: Star Trek TNG, Black Knight 2000, Theatre of Magic, Mystery Castle, Starship Troopers, SlugFast, Firepower, Baywatch, Checkpoint, Grand Prix

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow Im digging up an old thread!

So I played my Sinbad tonight and I noticed that 2 of the new LEDs I installed were not working after what is it now... 2 yrs?

Anyway it was the center reel the 2 center leds. Luckily I had built an extra board and installed it and all is well. However I want to fix the broken led board. I looked up the page where I previously purchased these pirhana WHPIR leds and they arent sold there anymore.

Does anyone know where to located these leds in the US now-a-days?

(Ask Mark if you don't believe me.)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast