Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Watch Collector

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Watch Collector

I thought I remembered a member of the board mentioning that they were a watch collector? Does anyone know who this member is, im in the market for a new watch so im looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Watch Collector

I'm no watch collector but let me suggest two features of my current watch that I really like.

Kinetic - Human powered, you never need a battery again.
    Titanium - So light you really don't feel like you're wearing it. I hate wearing jewelry of anykind, so this feature was a must have for me.

Mine is a Seiko and I've had it now for about 4 years. It has a simple day date calendar and it keeps great time. Analog hands of course. Digital is sooo Wal-Greens. If this watch will keep working the rest of my life, I'll never own another watch.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    Mine is a Seiko and I've had it now for about 4 years. It has a simple day date calendar and it keeps great time. Analog hands of course. Digital is sooo Wal-Greens. If this watch will keep working the rest of my life, I'll never own another watch.
    A Seiko probably will last the rest of your life - great watches.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not a complete idiot
    - some parts are missing
    *Thunder VII**Azteca Legends**NeoPlanetT

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Been wearing the same Seiko for 25 years. They are GREAT!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have owned expensive watches, and I have owned cheapo watches, but I never could find one that could withstand the beating of my job. Until I came across The G-Shock by Casio. I can't kill this watch.

Here

They offer many styles and features and are indeed great looking and durable.
    Perfect for a college kid.

My favorite feature is the atomic time keeping. I never have to set this watch.
    The watch picks up a signal from FT Collins, CO every night.

I had this watch in our classified section for about three weeks, I had two, one was a gift, did not get one bite. I ended up selling it on ebay

Here is the watch I use.

Good Luck,
    RJ
    Super Black Jack - Dragon Dice - Spin Luck - Las Vegas - King Camel - Terminator(IGT) - Destroyer - Neo Pharoah Zetz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it is very hard to recommend a watch to someone because people have such different tastes. I also think you should have a number of watches to wear depending on the situation or mood you are in. I will agree with Tulsa that Kintec powered watches(self winding) are great because you never haver to buy a battery. Only problem is they stop if you do not wear them for a couple of days unless you buy a case that winds it by movement. Citizen makes a nice watch line called Eco-Drive that is powered by light and very cool technology. In getting a watch you also have to decide on what kind of money you want to spend. http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English/browse.asp Tissot T-Touch is a pretty cool looking watch with some pretty cool technology with its touch sensitve crystal. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078382/ Here is another watch that has about everything a person may need. http://www.watchgear.com/WatchGear/M...EO9900025.aspx What kind of things are you looking for in a watch and how much do you want to spend?

Here is one of the watches I have that I like very much. http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=BL8000-54L
    Last edited by minnesotabrad; 06-18-2006 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On Seiko's Kinetic technology...

Seiko Kinetic is the first quartz watch powered by human movement, a development so significant it led to the application for more than 50 patents. The process uses an oscillating weight that is rotated by the movement of your wrist: this movement is transformed into a magnetic charge, then into electricity, which is stored in a tiny capacitor or a rechargeable battery. A Power Reserve Indicator shows exactly how much energy you’ve created.

* Never needs winding
    * Never needs a battery change
    * Captures and stores energy for up to six months (most models)
    * Environmentally friendly

Link

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmm dont want to thik about how you have to move your wrist when the power resurve indicator says low
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by drcrippen324
    hmm dont want to thik about how you have to move your wrist when the power resurve indicator says low

Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a Seiko Kinetic watch for years now and can tell you that you can have problems with the length of time they hold the charge. Mine will no longer hold the charge overnight and did hold it much longer when it was new. I currently do not want to spend the cost for the repair as I have many watches to choose from and all I have to do is set it when I want to wear it. I like my Seiko but would also say that you can find much nicer and reliable self winding watches.

Take a look at this article in Forbes last year. http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/03/cx_ns_1203guide.html Make sure you look at the slide show to see the different watches. I would love the Patek Philippe, Grand Complication 5059, but don't have that kind of money for a watch. We can dream though.
    Last edited by minnesotabrad; 06-18-2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's not good. On the flip side, I've had mine for years and have never seen it stop. It consistantly has at least a couple of months charge according to the indicator and the time is always dead on. Mine retailed at the jewelry store for $600 but we all know what their mark up is, so I talked them down to $350. I'm sure they still made a killing on me but I really liked the lightness of the titanium. The kinetic part was simply as plus as it was the titanium I was after.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mine is an early model with no power indicator. I am sure they have improved on the technology since they have came out. You got a great deal on your watch Tulsa, watches actually have one of the lowest mark up of items in a jewelry store.
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it could have had something to do with the 5 grand I dropped on my wifes wedding ring from the same guy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As far as price range i'm looking to spend from like $500 and up. One of the watches that caught my eye was http://www.watchgear.com/WatchGear/M...SSEY00012.aspx . Im looking for a watch that has a dressy look to it but can be worn daily. I was looking at both a robero cavalli and a chanel j12 but really want something with a unique design thats quality so it will last

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RKnarr01
    As far as price range i'm looking to spend from like $500 and up. One of the watches that caught my eye was http://www.watchgear.com/WatchGear/M...SSEY00012.aspx . Im looking for a watch that has a dressy look to it but can be worn daily. I was looking at both a robero cavalli and a chanel j12 but really want something with a unique design thats quality so it will last

I thought you were a college student without a job. 500.00 and up???

Buy a nice watch that is reasonably priced, and spend the rest on books and pencils and rulers and girls.

As far as your watch choice, well it's definitely not my cup of tea.
    Maybe this rad thing is hindering your judgment.

Just my 2 tokes
    Super Black Jack - Dragon Dice - Spin Luck - Las Vegas - King Camel - Terminator(IGT) - Destroyer - Neo Pharoah Zetz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a pretty rad looking watch.

I think I'm finally getting to understand "rad" a bit better now.

Rad = dinnerware

cause it sure looked like a plate to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That moden contemporary style is my thing. I am a college student without a job but I have also mastered the art of freeloading! and i work a day a week here and there.

it does look like a plate!
    Last edited by RKnarr01; 06-18-2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I was a college student, I paid $10 for my watch. It had a stop watch and a calculator and a rubber wrist strap.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    When I was a college student, I paid $10 for my watch. It had a stop watch and a calculator and a rubber wrist strap.
    Me too T

But I bet you also had a pocket protector stuffed with pens.

After all image is everything

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a nice watch RK. I agree with Brad about having many watches for different occasions. It is pretty much the only jewelry men wear. Of the ones I own, my favorite is a Tag Heuer my wife bought me about 15 years ago. Like the other watches mentioned here, this thing will not die, but it will eat up your budget. Like one of the other member mentioned though, you might be better off buying two watches instead off one for that price.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast