Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wish trip for my son

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Wish trip for my son

As many of the members here know my son Tyler has leukemia. He is doing vary good! My wife applied for a wish grant. I thought he was a little young for such trips. He will be four at the end of July. I don't think he will remember a lot from such a trip. Well his (my wifes) wish to go to Disney World was granted. My wife is taking advantage of vacation time that she already had set up for later in July. This is not giving me much time to get things set up. We can pick from other theme parks within Disney World and others in the area. Disney Worlds web site is good in figuring out what there is to do and giving you ways to figure out a days things to do. The theme park Sea World on the other hand is not so good. They give you almost no way to get a time line on things to plan a day. I can get tickets for a theme park for more than one day if it will take more time to see and do what we want. This all has to be set up within the next few days as to what parks and how much time is needed at each. So if anyone has info or has went to Disney World Theme parks (Animal Kingdom, Epcot) And Sea World please help me out. I am trying to find things that Tyler will be abel to enjoy. Respond in this thread or PM me Thanks Laz.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Wish trip for my son

I'm so glad to hear that Tyler is doing well and will be able to take advantage of this opportunity. Disney World is my favorite place ever. There is SO much to see and do, it could be spread out over several days and you still wouldn't see everything. Magic Kingdom is especially good for young ones because it has Mickey and Minnie and some really beautiful parades. Typhoon Lagoon is a really neat water park that has a wave pool. My kids had a great time there when they were young. We have stayed in and outside the "World". In my opinion, inside the World is much better due to easy access to transportation and other niceties. Read as much as you can, figure out what is right for you and have a WONDERFUL time.
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When i was real young like 6 or 7 I went to Disney. I went to Epcot and Bush Gardens, both were very cool and since i still remember them over a decade later, i would therefore recommend looking into these places. And best of Wishes to Tyler.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Staying at Disney Hotel will be easier for all of you, you can go to your room during the busy time of day and rest up, and you can take your time seeing everything.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the advice so far. Lucky I PM'd you about something. The place we will stay will most likely be outside the park. The wish network gets donations from other hotels. Disney World provides the tickets through a separate organization that distributes them to the varies wish granting networks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Epcot is mostly for older kids and adults. Animal Kingdom is really neat too, but again, I would recommend that for an older child...but it does have a really neat afternoon parade. Parkhopper tickets are great, if that is what they provide. That means you can go to any of the major parks at any time and back and forth between them as much as you want. Staying outside the world is also great, just not as convenient. Take snacks with you, we found eating in the park to be troublesome...overcrowded and (way) overpriced, so have a little something on hand. The Crystal Palace has a nice buffet with the Pooh characters, but requires advance reservations...we really liked this one. I wanna go!!!
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dawn, take your folks and kids there
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Magic Kingdom and Epcot are the 2 must see places. Start each park as soon as they open and make a circle around each so as not to miss anything each park alone can take a full day if you really want to see everything. Also make reservations at Cinderellas castle for dinner when you get the first chance preferably before you start your Magic Kingdom tour. Make it for around 9pm and request the window seats that way you can have dinner with a fantastic fireworks show! Also for the best spot for the night time fireworks show at Epcot. face the lake toward the middle of it with the area of the Mexican or Aztec buildings at your back that way you will know you are in the right spot. get there and wait along the lake fence (railing) even if its a half hour before anyone else and you will have the greatest view in the park. Dont forget to go into all of the buildings in epcot they have wonderful hidden little rides and attractions that few people know about. The Mexican and Aztec for example as well as the Swiss have really nice family rides not to mention the rest.
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It has been 13 years since we have gone. The one thing I would suggest, buy the "Unofficial Guide to Disney World". It is very well written and will tell you the best way to get around with a four year old. Disney World is a wonderful place, but it will be very hot in July. I believe the book I had suggested only spending a half a day in the park with childred.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by johntofva
    The one thing I would suggest, buy the "Unofficial Guide to Disney World".
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

That book saved us SOOO much time, by helping us time our visits to the different attractions at their slowest points of the day.

Dattia has it right, too... MAGIC KINGDOM for a four year old.
    The others are cool, but MK will be most in tune for that age.

Laz, I'm so happy to hear that Tyler's wish was granted!!! That is great!!!
    With all that he has been through, he deserves that dream.

I wish I could see his eyes when he gets to meet these characters.
    PLEASE take pics, and share them with us... OK???
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been to all the parks; my daughter's 4; here's my few tips to have the best possible time:

1) Critical: check out http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...ent=6&metric=0
    and note especially the RealFeel temperatures in the middle of the day.
    It is UNBELIEVABLY HOT in the middle of the day in July. Solution? Get to the parks 30 minutes before your ticket is valid for entry (the calendar on the website shows this time, generally 9AM). I don't know what kind of tickets you'll have; if it's a Magic Your Way ticket you can get in earlier certain days. Plan to ride the shuttle back to your hotel mid-day for a nap. Come back to the park in the evening. It's open late. Only exception: Animal Kingdom, which requires less time and closes earlier, you probably should try to do in one shot.

2) Orlando Parks in approximate descending order of preference for a 4 year old: Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Sea World, Epcot, Islands of Adventure, MGM Studios, Universal Studios. The first four are probably the best in the sense that almost everything (sorry, not Expedition Everest: 44") is suitable for your son (but beware, perhaps, of the Bug's Life show!). Islands of Adventure is my personal favorite--a very innovative park, with a Dr. Seuss-themed land and the Amazing (no joke) Adventures of Spider-Man ride--but more rides have height restrictions (Spidey's is 40"). Both of the Studios are a bit more adult-oriented.

3) Waterparks: You've got waterparks not so far from you; if your tickets let you visit mid-day anyway what the heck, but otherwise not sure this is the better use of time.

4) A typical Sea World summer schedule: http://4adventure.com/seaworld/fla/d...=2006&x=36&y=7
    For the heat reason the evening's a good time for Sea World; this might be a place to start later in the day to give you a break from the early wakeups. As you can see from the link you can hit most of the shows even with a later start. Since Sea World of Ohio is no more (and wasn't that close to you in the first place), I think this is a pretty good use of a day.

And I echo the others: Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World covers all the parks and is excellent. I disagree with Dattia about Epcot (sorry); my daughter enjoyed it and could ride and see almost everything (yes, the 'hidden' rides which rarely have long waits) and it is considerably different from the other 3 of my top 4, including offering better food. Big air-conditioned buildings are a big plus here in July. Also features (if you're a big kid) a possible Dad indulgence in Mission:Space--the most innovative ride in the world IMO.

Most important: YOU WILL NOT SEE OR DO EVERYTHING. Don't even try. If you really are obsessed with a particular big ride be sure to ride it first (the book goes into this). Take it easy, take breaks, drink lots of fluids, wear hats, watch the air-conditioned Country Bears. It'll be incredibly fun. Now I want to go again.
    [D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ocpachinko
    . I disagree with Dattia about Epcot (sorry); my daughter enjoyed it and could ride and see almost everything (yes, the 'hidden' rides which rarely have long waits) and it is considerably different from the other 3 of my top 4, including offering better food.
    That's OK, I love Epcot...I got the BEST French Pastries there I must have missed the rides!? ...now I have a reason to return!!!
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wish I knew enough to say, "go here, go there," but I don't. Magic Kingdom sounds like one of the best for Tyler.

Wonderful times await you all. The best to your son!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dattia, I missed them too the first time I went...on double checking, there's 2 rides, 3 films, and of course the American Adventure show...as far as the rides go there's an cute small boat ride in Mexico, and a very good one (a little short, but different) in Norway.

The rides in particular were my daughter's type of thing.

I had a trade show I had to do in Florida last year, and I went to Epcot one evening during Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival, when they have booths in front of all the nations' areas (and more-over 20!) with 2 or 3 food items (tapas size) for around $3 or so (like a "Taste of..." event in a city) and this was the best value experience I have ever had at a theme park...the food from those carts was in almost every case an excellent example of the country, which is hard to believe from Disney! It would have been better if I could have tried the wines a bit...but by myself in a rental car this wasn't in the cards.

Given your business you can go to this event and WRITE IT OFF! No joke...I got more interesting cooking ideas from that evening than almost any other single day, but note that you cannot possibly sample it all in less than 3-4 evenings, so the festival works best as an evening's uh, research after possibly another activity in the morning for which your ticket is valid. Oh yes, there are also "wine seminars" and culinary demonstrations on most days...see website below...I of course didn't see much of this in my limited time.

It's September 29-November 12 this year--which is the second least busy time for the parks...hence the festival. http://allearsnet.com/tp/ep/foodwine.htm

P.S. When I got to the main gate (unaware of the Festival) I was grumbly about the ticket cost, but REALLY wanted to do Mission:Space. Bought a multi-day ticket that's good forever (I know I'll be back with the family), and stumbled onto this experience. Enjoy!
    [D] means [developement] [doramatic] [demention] and [design]

15. The following user says "Thanks" to ocpachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That sounds YUMMY!!!
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks so far for all the advice. I did some calling today and got the scoop on the tickets. The tickets are Disney World(includes Magic Kingdom) for three days, Universal for two days, and Sea World for one day. You can ask for other tickets like for Bush gardens after you get there. All the tickets except the others you ask for are all hopper passes. This will make it a lot nicer in the itinerary does not have to be so strict. As for the book my sister has a copy from 1995. She said not to much has changed so it should be good. I will check out the sites you listed ocpachinko. For the hotel I think I will see if I can get them to give me one inside the park. My sister said if you have accommodations inside the park then you get into the individual theme Park one hour earlier than if you stay outside. Also the heat is a big concern so as suggested a trip back to the hotel in the middle of the is a good idea. Only drawback is the hopper pass and timing to see some stuff as you are limited to taking the shuttle back and forth to the hotel rather having a rental car and coming and going as you like. One thing I am wondering about with Tylor is that he is sooo shy. I wonder what he will do with all the Disney characters? Last Christmas he hid under the table when Santa wanted to say hello and give him a present. I think I will have him watch as many of the Disney movies and stuff that he may see. Not that he doesn't see a lot of that stuff already! That and say a lot that we are going to Disney World and will see a lot of the characters as see if we can get him excited enough to want to interact with them once we are there. Well back to the web sites! Thanks Laz.
    P.S. Pictures, pictures, video and more Logic!
    I just thought of something! No Pachtitalk when we are there! I am already feeling the withdrawal!!

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a dream trip Laz. You will have a wonderful time. I had one child go into tantrums at the site of the characters, one go into a trance and the other grabbing and hugging their legs. You won't know how he will react until you get there. My son sleeps with a Mickey Mouse pillow from the time he was 10 months old 'til this day (he is 15 and will kill if he knows I wrote this). Mickey was his idol and he was the one that went into a daze at the moment he saw his hero. He remained in that state until we returned home. He was 5 years old then. The last time we went was two years ago and my son was 13, and while he knew the characters were just costumed, there was still a hint of wonderment in his eyes when Mickey was around. You will be making memories that will last.
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not sure if its still going on but if you decide to visit MGM Studios don't miss "Fantasmic" An excellent show featuring laser lights, dancing water fountains, and awesome special effects that everyone will enjoy.

Tyler will have the time of his life. Have a safe trip.
    "betcha can't have just one"

PachiFu "the way of the sphere"

ダン

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Laz,

I hope you all have a GREAT time. Please take MANY pictures/videos. Don't even think of Pachitalk while you're there, you'll have time for that when you return. I can't wait to hear all about the trip, as I'm sure all of us are looking forward to hearing about it. Give your son a HUGE hug from all of us here and make sure he has a blast!!
    Proud owner of a TOMCAT AND a SPIN LUCK!!!!!.....And now, a Thunderbirds Pachinko!!! THANK YOU Pachitalk family!!!! I have been drawn over to the DARK SIDE!!!

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Fighter Pilot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ditto what Willie (and everyone else) said!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast