Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quit Smoking = Harley Machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Quit Smoking = Harley Machine?

Hello Kim!
    With your support, BB should be able to quit smoking. As far as saving money, he would have to put the money he would save into a special account, say even a savings account at the bank...NOT in a piggy bank at home! Those never work, too many temptations.

Encourage him, help him get one of the very best Pachislos made.

I'm serious about a savings account. The several times I have quit I didn't put anything away. I suddenly realized that even though I wasn't spending the money on cigarettes, there was never any extra.

BB,
    You can do it, provided you are serious!

To all who have quit, congratulations!

To the congresscritters who are imposing the "you can't smoke" laws,
    When you suddenly realize you are not collecting as much in taxes as you want, don't come crying to me with your hand out for more of my money to fund your pork projects!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Tony Junior

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can do it!!! It won't be easy, but just stay focused. Its the best thing you can do for yourself, not to mention your loved ones will have ya around a little longer too. I quit on 4-9-04 after smoking for 30 years, two packs a day. Best thing I ever did. Hi Kim.
    greaser :burnout:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep, you can do it. Won't be easy, but with the ultimate goal of a Harley machine out there, that should help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The owner of our company recently beat cancer, and was offering $1000 to anyone that could stop smoking till next Jan, made me want to start smoking for a week or so just to cash in on that and get me a spin luck:-)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone!!Saturday morning is zero hour!! went and opened that account like tj said. wife is behind me 100% sounds like you guys are too!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bearngg00se
    Congratulations to all you quitters - you deserve medals!

On May 31, the whole province of Quebec goes smoke-free, which means you can't smoke in ANY public building and not within 25 feet of an entrance to any buildling. Its going to be difficult, but I'm quitting on June 1 - after almost 35 years of smoking.

I wish you good luck Birdbrain - keep strong!

That's how it is here in NY and I have to say I like the law. It's nice not to have to be forced to 2nd hand smoke when in public places. A big improves from before the law.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

radish: I'll send you a pile of empty packs and some used butts. just toss some around the car and on the floor in your office!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smoking is one of the worst diseases out there. There are a lot of benefits to stop smoking. But in case you are one of those who like to put things off until the next day. Remember this, with every puff you take you are doing damage that can never be repaired. Things like COPD and Peripheral vascular disease are things you will have to live with. I am sure that you all have seen those people in malls and stores with O2 tanks. THIS WILL BE YOU. At this point, if you have done it long enough, the only question is when. So stop today and maybe you will not have to worry about this until your really old. Or stop tomorrow and you can enjoy your retirement sitting in a chair like a blob with a O2 mask strapped to your face watching the rest of your life slip away.

Hide sight is 20/20. We all can point to something in our past and say, "If only". This is that day. Please don't make it one of those points were you say, "If only." But hey, what do I care. You are keeping me in business, so puff way. (Actually, please quit. Your bankrupting health care.)

To live life...............You have to be in it......
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to johntofva

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I quit on 01/13/02...the day Atlanta destroyed my Packers at home (Lambeau Field) in the first round of the playoffs. I remember my last puff vividly.

I was able to successfully quit using a the 3 month program outlined by the Nicoderm CQ patch. It worked very well. The only side-effects were some nightmarish dreams at night (if you wore the patch to bed to curb those morning cravings).

It's one thing to eliminate the cigarettes, but you also have to replace the "time you spent smoking" with something else to...or it'll drive you crazy. If you smoke a pack a day...that's 10 minutes (average for one smoke) times 20 cigarettes...essentially you have gained 3.3 hours that you would've spent smoking. I took up a hobby and played ping pong during my smoke breaks at work and other times, I'd just go for a walk or stay active.

My best advice is this...look it took practice to start smoking...it takes practice to quit as well. Don't feel bad about you're previous failures. Statistically, it takes the average smoker 3-4 times to find success in quitting. Funny that some of us started smoking to be part of the crowd and now smokers generally find themselves a part of the minority (when not in a bar) outside freezing their tail feathers off.

Good luck...you won't regret quitting.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to evh347

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You get to play ping pong at work?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RKnarr01
    You get to play ping pong at work?
    Well, I did...yeah...they had a ping pong table in the break room and I owned a pretty easy going position which wasn't too stringent on break schedules (at the time).

I played with two (practically professional level) ping pong players and they taught me all the 'strokes' and skill sets to be pretty good. I'm out of practice now, because I don't have access to a ping pong table...but, at the time...we were dancing around the tables like you see in the movie Forest Gump. It was very intense. You'd be surprised how good you can get at something in a very short period of time just by practicing 3 hours a day.

For my going away present (almost 4 years ago, now), they bought me a professional ping pong paddle. The kind with that really sticky rubber on it. Man, I had no idea (myself) that ping pong was so involved. But, just like any hobby, there are extremes...this paddle cost over $150!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are right about needing to fill the time that you previously used smoking, yI got in the habit of going out for a smoke whenever I finished a project. Not to mention I seemed to need something in my hand, kind of like a nervous habit.
    I ended up buying a TON of sugar free mints, so whenever I felt the need for a smoke, I would have one of 10 of those:-)
    I know other people that used toothpicks, it gave them something to have in their mouths or hands, at least keeping them distracted enough :-)

Quote Originally Posted by evh347
    I quit on 01/13/02...the day Atlanta destroyed my Packers at home (Lambeau Field) in the first round of the playoffs. I remember my last puff vividly.

I was able to successfully quit using a the 3 month program outlined by the Nicoderm CQ patch. It worked very well. The only side-effects were some nightmarish dreams at night (if you wore the patch to bed to curb those morning cravings).

It's one thing to eliminate the cigarettes, but you also have to replace the "time you spent smoking" with something else to...or it'll drive you crazy. If you smoke a pack a day...that's 10 minutes (average for one smoke) times 20 cigarettes...essentially you have gained 3.3 hours that you would've spent smoking. I took up a hobby and played ping pong during my smoke breaks at work and other times, I'd just go for a walk or stay active.

My best advice is this...look it took practice to start smoking...it takes practice to quit as well. Don't feel bad about you're previous failures. Statistically, it takes the average smoker 3-4 times to find success in quitting. Funny that some of us started smoking to be part of the crowd and now smokers generally find themselves a part of the minority (when not in a bar) outside freezing their tail feathers off.

Good luck...you won't regret quitting.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bought a plastic cigarette that offered up a little bit of menthol flavor when I puffed on it. This was NOT a nicotine replacement inhaler, just a little plastic placebo that was around $5 for two. I found it to be invaluable to keep both my fingers and mouth occupied during critical moments. I still carry one in my purse (just in case). I gained some weight, but it wasn't too noticeable as to my prior condition of being chubby anyway.... I liked reporting in here everyday, it kinda kept me accountable. I found it funny though that as I was typing my progress, it occurred to me that I could be sitting here at my computer puffing away and lying my rear off...but what would be the point. My husband quit with me but had a tougher time of it. I am hoping that he will try again. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tootsie Pops. They're cheap, taste good, last a long time if you don't bite them, give you something to put in your hand and something white sticking out of your mouth.

It's the perfect stop smoking aid. And as my dentist told me, we can cure your cavities a lot easier than your cancer.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My wife and I quit at the same time on my 40th birthday. I never touched one again as I know darn well I'd be hooked. She is able to have a cig now and then and not start the habit again -- nope, I can't do that. Cold turkey. End of story.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cold turkeys pretty good. A little mustard, some tomato....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain
    Thanks everyone!!Saturday morning is zero hour!! went and opened that account like tj said. wife is behind me 100% sounds like you guys are too!!
    Good for you! The next step after that last puff, is to make sure you add to it on a regular basis!

Stick that $30 or $40 a week into that account! And don't forget to add the cost of cigarette lighters, and if you want to carry it a little further, add the gas money you save from not going out of your way to get them.

Man, you'll be rich, rich, RICH in no time!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also remember to factor in that 20% co-pay for the chemotherapy you're not going to have to pay.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

4 hrs and counting till zero hour!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good luck Birdbrain....I will be thinking about you.
    Dawn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast