Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help with windows xp

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: help with windows xp

I'll give it a try TJ. If you don't see me for awhile well, give Fri some tidbits to munch on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Will do, Laz!

One other thing, once you restore, run a good virus check program.

And if all I suggested doesn't work, it could be the sign that your hard drive is giving up. Hope it isn't that!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I restored back to the first restore point. It did not work. I went back to the second restore point and tried that. Still no pictures in sub files. I undid the restore to the way it was.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Buy a Macintosh!
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dang! I thought sure that would do the trick, Laz. Sorry it didn't!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lazarus,

You said that your pictures were in the following path
    C:\Documents and Settings\default\My Documents\Family folders\Tylers birthday 2005

I will assume that that is correct and it was not in another User Profile.
    Default User for example

I will also assume you checked the recycle bin and that they were not there.

First thing is do you know the name of any of the files/pictures that were in there?

If you do or at least know a little of the name here is what I want you to try and do.
    Code:
    1. Like Sid said start a dos prompt Start - Run - (type in CMD)
    2. Type in cd\ This will take you to the root C:\>
    3. Type in dir *Mom*.* /S (Replace Photo with your file's name or what your remember) (Let's examine what is going on here *Laz*.* /S * is a wildcard meaning anything *Mom* means anything with the word (moment, mom, mommas) .* means with any extension /S means to search all sub directories (we are in the root C:\ so everything)
    4. If you are getting a lot of results then display them one page at a time like so Type dir *MOM*.* /S /P (/P means page at a time)
    5. If you would like to share the results then pipe it to a text file like so dir *Mom*.* /S > "C:\PhotoSearch.txt" You will not see anything as it is piped to the text file C:\PhotoSearch.txt If you open that file you will see the results
    If the files did not show up in the search
    Then they must have been deleted and removed or bypassed the recycle bin.

This means that you need a File/Data recovery program
    I would first try some free ones
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/sy...arecovery.html

I would recommend PC Inspector File Recovery

If that does not work then please let us know and we can suggest alternative programs such as "Active@ Undelete", "Recover My Files", "Recover My Pictures", and several others that you must pay for or have limited trial features.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Araknis. I got a hold of my computer guy. Could not give me any real reason for what happened. Other than accidental deleting them as one reason. Never did bring up the box that ask for me to confirm I want to delete. Not in recycle bin. Other was that ma by I moved them with cut and paste and they could be any ware. I had pachitalk open under edit profile picture. Used the browse button to look for picture in my documents. Went through to get to the folder that would have something in it. Opened it, 18 sub folders, opened the first one. Didn't see anything I wanted. Went up to the up one level button to back to the next sub folder. Did this till the last sub folder ware I found a picture I could use. I put that in the window for upload to pachitalk and the up load did not work. I went back to the sub file to reload the picture and the sub file was empty. The same as all the rest. Main folder was there, said it had the 18 folders but properties for the a sub folder said it had nothing in it expert this thumbnail info that is supposed to be there since I had the pictures come up as thumb nails. The files are restored now only because I make prints of all the pictures for the wife and the last time I did this I copied the whole main folder with it's sub folder and put it in the folder for pictures I made prints of. I just copied them back then to ware they were. This put the pictures back but did not help me to figure out what went wrong. If it would have been some other folder I would not have a back up. I will try to understand what you told me to do. I don't know if it will work or help now that they are back ware they are supposed to be. I will try it anyway just to try to understand how this stuff works. Thanks Laz.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm trying this. Not working. If you feel it is a waste of your time don't try.
    Type in dir *Mom*.* /S (Replace Photo with your file's name or what your remember)
    (Let's examine what is going on here *Laz*.* /S OK Mom Is what I am to replace with what I am looking for.
    c:\dir*Tylers birthday 2005*.*/S (hit enter) I get, not a recognized command.
    Thanks for trying, there back and thats what is important. I don't see a smiley pounding another with a brick.

Just trying to understand. On what Sid said to do yesterday. He had the cd in capitals and the dir/p in capitals. Araknid had them in small letters so I tried what Sid said to do, but these commands in small letters. I got to a listing of everything that is in that sub folder. There all there now so it doesn't help me and I don't see that you can do anything with the info but at least I accomplished in getting to it!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-05-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lazarus,

This is what your DOS prompt looked like
    C:\>dir *Tylers birthday 2005*.* /S

Problem with this command is DOS does not like spaces try wraping in quotes
    C:\>dir *"Tylers birhday 2005"*.* /S

That or try a simpler search
    C:\>dir *Tylers*.* /S

And Lazarus Windows is a case insensitive operating system meaning that CD and cd are the same thing.

Araknid out :lol:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks all I got to learn something. Case closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2