Thread: when snakes attack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default when snakes attack

last night my wife and I was watching t.v. and we noticed that one of our dogs was barking outside. didnt think much of it cause we live near a creek and some woods and they always like to use there vocals and bark at nothing. it was around 7:15pm. all of a sudden i heard my dog yipe like i never heard her do before. my wife asked what was that as i was jumping up off the couch to go see. my other two dogs that was inside decided to do the same. i went outside and my other dog was coming up to me like she wanted in. didnt think nothing of it and all three dogs came in and laid down. about 15 mins later, my wife decided to eat some cookies and gave one cookie to each dog. then my wife said to me to look at sugar(the one that was outside barking), that she was holding the cookie in her mouth and not eating it. i looked at her and it looked as if she stuck the cookie in her jowl(cheek) on the right side. i thought to myself that i have never seen one of my dogs just hold food in there mouths and not eat. as she was giving me those sad eyes that only dogs can do i started to look her over. then i found it. two small puncture wounds on the right of her nose were the dogs whiskers are. immediately i put two and two together and knew that she was bitten by a pit viper type snake. the fang marks are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart from each other so i know that it is a fairly large snake. my wife starts to freak out. what do we do, what do we do. gamely i told her to call a 24 hr vet and see what they say about it. of course she tells me that she doesn't know of any other vets than the one we usually take my dogs to, and that all the vets are closed. i responded by telling her that is what we have a phone book for and to look for an emergency vet. she calls one of the vets and she calmed my wife down while i was still checking over my dog for more bite marks. after the vet asked a few questions like how much does the dog weight, what type of snake etc., she tells my wife to just give the dog some benadryl, and that there will be some swelling and it is rare that dogs die from snake bites. now that my wife is calmed down, i can get on with the hunt. i go outside with my other two dogs and start searching. well that is like a needle in a hay stack. i looked all around but the snake was gone, probably headed back to the creek. by this time my dogs chin looks like alfred hitchcocks chin. gave the dog some benadryl. and learned a few more things. dont try to wipe the pus that is coming out of the bite marks. they are very painful and dogs will be the first to let you know. you can wipe the drool that is coming out of the mouth cause the dogs doesnt know its drooling. there i was every 5 mins going and wiping the long drool off the dog. got up this morning and the dog is doing better. she doesnt seem sick, wants to play. she doesn't have drool, just bubbles, i guess you can call em drool bubbles. her right side of the face now looks like lady albrights chins. just because a dog gets bite by a snake does not mean that the dog will die.(had a hard time convincing my wife). if they are small dogs then they might need a anti-venom shot. if they are 30lbs ++ then they should be okay. just another crazy day at my house in east texas. and my wife wonders why i am making a game room filled with pachislo machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: when snakes attack

Heck of a story, bxtr! Hope the dog gets better fast!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad to hear you're dogs going to be fine.

The only good snake, is a dead snake. Go hunt that sucker and take care of it.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i wish i could find it, then i can brag. then i could go around and say "my dog is so tuff, that she got bite by a {blank} type snake and lived

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have read of dogs dying after being bitten by rattlesnakes.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm glad your dog is going to be OK...that is scary stuff.
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks, after all was said and done, i got on the wonderful internet and did a little research. found out the does and donts of snake bites, it is amazing. i remember when i lived in ca. and didnt have internet (like we do now). whatever ya need, check the internet. she must not have gotten a real bad dose, cause she hasn't been sick or anything bad, still just swelled up. they call that a defensive dry strike. if she got some venom, it musta been a real small dose. i just got back from checking the woods and surrounding area for any snakes, havn't found any. sugar still going to the area where she got bite, probably thinking "what the hell was that stick that poked me". my other dogs haven't alerted me to the presence of the critter. cant do a more intense search, cause im still recouping from back surgery, but me being a mighty white hunter will find it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, I'm so glad that Sugar is ok. I agree with Tulsa, The only good snake is a DEAD snake!! Please let us know when you finally get that sucker!! And I hope your back gets better fast!!
    Proud owner of a TOMCAT AND a SPIN LUCK!!!!!.....And now, a Thunderbirds Pachinko!!! THANK YOU Pachitalk family!!!! I have been drawn over to the DARK SIDE!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only good snake is the snake you make into boots!!!

Cheers,
    James

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only good snake is a snake with wheels!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

scary stuff Bxtr... We've got Rattlesnakes all over around here. Meneacing creatures I say.
    As far as the only good ones being dead ones... See if Arby would be interisted in heading up a Safari ????
    Thomas P.