Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever put a caliper on a pachinko ball to get its exact size?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Has anyone ever put a caliper on a pachinko ball to get its exact size?

Nice Balls! Don, Compliments to your wife
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

2. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Has anyone ever put a caliper on a pachinko ball to get its exact size?

It's hard to tell from the photo, Sloter, but it looks like they're all exactly the way they're supposed to be, with the possible exception of the third/last one in the second row, with the letters ? C on it. What did you use to clean them? I've tried CLR (no help), Noxon (no help) Tarn-X (no help), and the overnight treatment with crushed walnut shells in the vibratory cleaner (some help). You obviously purchased all of your cabinets from the same person who is stating in no uncertain terms that based upon his experience working on these machines, he recommends new, unengraved balls. That's not my claim; I'm only quoting what he said. He's certainly no newbie to pachinkos; there's no doubt about that. So that's why I raised this in the first place. In part based on what he said, and in part because his prices had gone up slightly, and I wanted to explore the possibility of obtaining unengraved ball bearings with the same weight/diameter of a regular pachinko ball from some other source. However, from the posts here, it would probably be too expensive. But in terms of what is best for the machines, I don't think there's any getting around the fact that the cleaner the balls the better, and the sooner the better. That's also why I wanted to get this worked out from the beginning, before doing any unnecessary damage to the machines. Even the folks who sell a vibratory cleaner (The Bulldog) do not recommend using it for regulation size pinballs; they state that up front. They recommend buying new pinballs because of the damage even polished but damaged balls due to the surface of the playfield. And they themselves sell a vibratory cleaner. So if whatever worked for you in terms of cleaning works for me, great. But so far, I have not had the same success with cleaning PB's as I've had with tokens.
    Last edited by bf_of_pf; 03-08-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I clean all my PB's that I send out in a tumbler Cleaner with Walnut shells. They all look really good & shiny to me, but . . . . some one elses eye might see something I don't.
    Check the balls coming with your New Masterpiece and let us know how they stack up there.

"an inquiring mind needs to know or I will wet my pants"

5. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The above spheres have come from a variety of sources: Arby, VG, GoldenState, Texas Auction and some of them are pretty old and from the mid-70s when I got the vintage.

Anyway, all the balls have been cleaned with CLR and hot tap water. I let them soak while swishing them around for about 12 minutes, throughly rinsed them and then put them in an absorbent terry towel made into a bag and shook until dry. Basically the same procedure used for my tokens. It seemed to work pretty good for me. I didn't specifically pick the above balls because they were clean as all the balls look clean.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    The above spheres have come from a variety of sources: Arby, VG, GoldenState, Texas Auction and some of them are pretty old and from the mid-70s when I got the vintage.

Anyway, all the balls have been cleaned with CLR and hot tap water. I let them soak while swishing them around for about 12 minutes, throughly rinsed them and then put them in an absorbent terry towel made into a bag and shook until dry. Basically the same procedure used for my tokens. It seemed to work pretty good for me. I didn't specifically pick the above balls because they were clean as all the balls look clean.
    The first thing I tried was the CLR, because I had a bucket right there, for the traditional 2 minute soak. I only put in one as a test, after the copper-colored DGI token fiasco. It didn't do any harm; it just didn't do any good either. Then I tried the Noxon, then the Tarn-X. At least with the tokens ONE of those three always worked. That's what made me think maybe it wasn't rust; maybe if there's some sort of plating the plating itself had worn away, possibly related to them having been engraved. I'll try soaking some a little longer in the CLR, and consider using Flitz or something similar along with the crushed walunt shells in the vibratory tumbler. If that doesn't work, the only thing that makes sense to me is to try some of the new/unengraved kind sold by b840/Gameroom Cabinet.

As far as the PB's that will arrive tomorrow in the New Masterpiece, I'll be sure to let you know, although I'd be more than a little surprised if there are any problems.

And Arby, if you answered this already and I missed it, sorry -- but from what you can see of the ball on the left in the photo above that I posted, would you say that it's ok, or not ok, referring to the dark sections visible inside the engraved letters?
    Last edited by bf_of_pf; 03-08-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bf_of_pf
    Well, he did say "over 30 years", so 80's just the bare minimum. I don't know about stretching it to 155, but depending on how well the cleaning goes, I don't know that 90-95 is unreasonable. How's that grab ya?
    Wellll, even the 95 seems awful close.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes Slotter, I agree with Arby...very nice balls!!!
    Dawn

10. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And you're an expert ball judge?
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not an expert....but I know good balls when I see 'em.....
    Dawn

13. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So can you describe the nuances of good vs bad for us?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    Not an expert....but I know good balls when I see 'em.....
    I vouch for Dawn. She always calls 'em as she sees 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    So can you describe the nuances of good vs bad for us?
    Do you really want me to go there???
    Dawn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bf_of_pf
    And Arby, if you answered this already and I missed it, sorry -- but from what you can see of the ball on the left in the photo above that I posted, would you say that it's ok, or not ok, referring to the dark sections visible inside the engraved letters?
    on my screen they look alike here

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    on my screen they look alike here
    Ok, thanks for checkin it out & responding. Now go enjoy yer gold balls, ya crusty 'ol pirate you

...arrrrr...matie!

(I'm off to try another round with CLR; upate whenever...)

19. The following user says "Thanks" to bf_of_pf

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    Do you really want me to go there???
    Umm, yeah!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    Umm, yeah!
    I will take the video, please!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I recently went looking for some Bearing here in the Tampa Bay area and found a company called Miller Bearing and Dixie bearing that converted 11mm to Standard size. They sell them in bags for $5 for 45 of them and they are indeed ball bearings. Same size but I did weigh them and they are 8.45 grams heavier. Which I think is due in part to the what they are made of. I have no idea what either a PB or a BB are made of but I would think a BB is made of a denser metal. Just my 2 cents. While I too have seen the Ebay seller selling BRAND NEW unengraved balls. I think they are BB and probably weigh more than a PB. As far as the harboring of dust and bacteria. Unless you wear gloves 24/7. Handling Pachinko balls with Bacteria is the least of your concerns. Your toothbrush as well as public door knobs have more fecal bacteria than I'm sure those balls do.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What did you say???

I was to busy looking at your Avitar
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by speed8988
    I recently went looking for some Bearing here in the Tampa Bay area and found a company called Miller Bearing and Dixie bearing that converted 11mm to Standard size. They sell them in bags for $5 for 45 of them and they are indeed ball bearings. Same size but I did weigh them and they are 8.45 grams heavier. Which I think is due in part to the what they are made of. I have no idea what either a PB or a BB are made of but I would think a BB is made of a denser metal. Just my 2 cents. While I too have seen the Ebay seller selling BRAND NEW unengraved balls. I think they are BB and probably weigh more than a PB. As far as the harboring of dust and bacteria. Unless you wear gloves 24/7. Handling Pachinko balls with Bacteria is the least of your concerns. Your toothbrush as well as public door knobs have more fecal bacteria than I'm sure those balls do.

Weight does matter and the cost you are quoting is over 11¢ apiece that twice the price + on the bay . The heaver the sphere the harder it will wear your machine and the different it will react on the bounce.

If those would have worked, the Japanese would have gone to them years ago.
    IMHO

25. The following user says "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    My wife tells me size isn't important...

Oh Yes it is

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast