Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On or Off?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default On or Off?

Do you guys leave your machines on or off when not in use? I understand that they are always on in the parlors but wouldnt their life last longer if they were off? They get very warm inside which can age the wiring. The bulb life is also shortened not to mention the electric bills! I prefer keeping them on but if that might cause premature wear (Negligible?) I will keep them off.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: On or Off?

I keep mine off, dont like having things on unless i'm using them.

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is deserving of a poll, Eddie. Why don't you set one up? It would be interesting to see what everone does.

I'm like Sid, btw, I leave mine off when not using them. Figure bulbs, etc. will last longer that way -- not to mention electricity savings.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

bulb savings is a myth a bulb has just as much chance of blowing out when turned on from being stone cold (how many times have you replaced a bulb only to hear that wonderful sound **dink!!!!!*" ) as for premature failure its extremely doubtful that your boards will fail any sooner if not used ..... if anything the warmth generated while on keeps a constant temp in the cabinet preventing corrosion of contacts by humidity . your wiring isnt effected by the temp pinballs over 50 yrs old still have original wiring intact .its a proven fact that a bulb will last longer if left on (luminated hours used ) the stress from being turned off and on when cold is the main problem for failure .besides bulbs are easily obtainable and cheap . as for running a machine I've covered that expense before its negligible less than a 60 watt light bulb ...... in case your still not sure mines on 24hr 7 days a week and my hanabi doesn't have led issues either wonder why ??????........
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good point about the humidity being kept to a minimum from the heat generated by the machines while on. Corrosion has to be the number one reason for any electrical failure in the machines.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Although the LEDs won't be affected, fluorescent bulbs become dim if left on all the time and most of my Pachislos use the fluorescents above the reels and behind the belly glass. Some of those fluorescent bulbs are bit exotic (varying colors, etc.) and are expensive to replace.

Also, if you have 10 machines and you only play one or two a week for a couple of hours, is it worth having all ten on all the time 24/7? I pay 8 cents per KWH where I live (ummm 600W burning every hour of the day --that's 432 KWHs per month) and that would cost me about $35/mo just in electricity if your 60W per machine estimate is correct.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think all above have very good / valid points, i.e. bulb failure humidity level inside the machine cuusing wire / terminal end corossion and damage.
    I'm with Sid on this.. OFF. As much of a safety thing as anything else.. AC plug not grounded. ( I know, I know, I need to get one )
    Two tokens
    Thomas P.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Off-------Safety concerns.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my wife likes it on 24/7, but after reading this, i think i will turn my off. safety concerns and elec. bill. like it need it to be higher. she will understand when i buy some more machines and use the spare room.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I turn my machines off i would worry about power surges and lightning strikes when left on , and the Florissant bulb's are rated in hours of on time

Thanks
    Thanks Received

100 v machines with a ground wire. on or off, owner preference.

100 v machines with no ground wire. Off when not in use.

24v machines with transformer. Completely disconnected from power to the cord when not in use
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

after my little scare, I kill the machines through a surge protector. lil one woke me up crying one nite and one of the machines was damn near ready to shoot flames due to a transformer. extreamly hot and was doin the wire burning smell. although I have smoke detectors I don't want to chance losing a machine and a wall before fire is put out plus water damage.... just my 2cents worth

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All mine get turned off (both 110v -> 24v transformer and 100v machines), but I install a separate lighted power switch before the internal power supplies, AND install a three prong ground wire grounded to the internal chassis like these machines are supposed to have (they are made to be wired to a house ground and they have external metal parts , and are not double insulated, so in theory it's a risk not to ground them ). I also have them plugged into a surge supressor powerbar but I don't normally turn that off.

If you have kids there's just too many holes where curious fingers can go, personally with that and the heat and small potential for failure from a 24 volt transformer, I wouldn't leave mine on, even though my Hanabi LEDs weren't all working (they are now - grin).

Also the weight and balance of these machines dictates that they really need to be bolted to a stand and/or bolted to a wall lest they fall forward and crush someone.

And they're addictive. And they're deafeningly loud. And they pose a serious risk to epileptics and narcoleptics (ever fallen forward and got your head bashed on that sharp protruding coin slot!)

Hey, these guys are really dangerous. Maybe more so than cigarettes. (Oh and some of them excude tobacco smoke too!)

So really, I think the safest thing is for you all to package yours up and send them to me for safe keeping.

999 Alibaster Court......
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As of this eve after reading so many informative responses I am joining the off club! I will also be wearing my Helmet when I play as my machines are not bolted down!!!!

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I very, sometimes I leave them on for days or weeks at a time and sometimes turn them off. I find I play them a little more when they are on. My Beast Sapp has been left on for a couple of months.
    and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I turn mine off. No real need to leave them on, unless I'm playing them.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I always them OFF.
    A lightning strike or car -vs- utility pole far across town will ruin your day.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes see what happens when you leave them on the light coming from the machines and out your windows can blind the cars going by to be blinded and then http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5...zgarage8qe.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Holy cow, Doug! And that doesn't even look like a Monster House!
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Junior
    Holy cow, Doug! And that doesn't even look like a Monster House!
    It might after they remove the truck
    "betcha can't have just one"

PachiFu "the way of the sphere"

ダン

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast