Thread: Need a speaker for a King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need a speaker for a King Camel

I don't know what I did, but apparently while trying to install volume controls on my King Camel I blew out one of the top speakers.

I've added pots to a couple other machines without any trouble, so I don't know what I did in this case, but the pot I wired in is blown as well. A second 5K pot that I tried to wire in also blew up.

I checked the output at both amps and it's about the same (if anything, the other side is putting out a little more juice, but the music may just be more to one side than the other).

Anyway, does anyone have an extra speaker that might fit in a King Camel? If so, what would you charge for it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need a speaker for a King Camel

Not that you want to blow it up trying, but have you tried swapping the other top speaker to that side to make sure it isn't a problem with the sound board?

I have an extra Sammy Piezo tweeter in my hands. I tried it on my King Camel and it works great. It's from a different Sammy machine, so the wires are a little shorter than King Camel's, but it's the exact same speaker.

PM me with your address and I'l let you know what it'll cost to get it to you. I'm guessing 6 or 7 bucks for one of those fixed price Priority Mail boxes.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

3. The following user says "Thanks" to cwstnsko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the offer, but Gaku was able to help me fix it. I simply needed to open the case and re-solder a wire.

Now I need to find out why everything blew up in the first place...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent news, I'm glad it wasn't toasted!!
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are you sure the speaker wasn't blown beforehand? Something similar happened to me when I was installing Syscoms on a T-2 (which is made for IGT by Sammy and uses the exact same tweeter as in King Camel and Fire Drift and others). I decided to take a tweeter from a Fire Drift to replace the one in the T-2 and noticed that it was blown also. I think it was blown before I hooked it up, but I'm not positive. I wonder if maybe because those things play so loud: 1. Speakers blow from the extreme volume, and 2. It's not noticeable because the things plays so loud with just one top speaker and the big bottom speaker. Or else, I did something when trying to install the Syscoms that carried over to the speaker from the Fire Drift.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Since we're talking about volume controls on Sammy Peizo tweeters, it's probably a good time to touch on the difference between these and regular speakers. These speakers are very high impedance, not 8 ohm like regular speakers. They take a lot more resistance to achieve any meaningful reduciton in volume. I start to notice a meaninful change aroun 1000 ohms and they become very quiet by 2000 ohms. A 5000 ohm pot would probably give best adjustability. Personally I use either 1k or 1.5k ohm 1/4 watt fixed resistors, depending on how quite I want the machine to be.

An important note is that you should never try to use an L-pad on these peizo speakers. It will not work well, and it may cause damage to the speaker and or sound board.
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried a 5K trimpot. It blew up. For the moment, I just wired in a 1K resistor, and it sounds excellent.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

American Syscom makes a model that's designed especially for the Sammy tweeters (number 103), vs. their regular model (number 501). I was using the 103's on the T-2.