Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another cabinet design

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Another cabinet design

Quote Originally Posted by ken524
    I'll have to put some thought into that one. Maybe some sort of actuator coming up throught the upper hopper.

I'm building a second cabinet for a vintage fixer-upper I EBayed. It's going to be next to the Pink Panther, but spaced 16" to the next set of wall studs.

Ken
    How about the same thing, but slides front to back, spring loaded with a tab that contacts the reward hopper. When the machine is opened, the thing slides shut, when the machine is closed, the reward hopper pushes it open.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

2. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sparty
    Great job. Thanks for sharing
    All Hail Spartacus..

A big Welcome to Pachitalk...

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Outstanding, Ken!!!
    Thank you VERY much.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate
    How about the same thing, but slides front to back, spring loaded with a tab that contacts the reward hopper. When the machine is opened, the thing slides shut, when the machine is closed, the reward hopper pushes it open.
    Dang, Compirate; we think alike! That was my *exact* original idea. I even bought two sets of springs from Home Depot for it.

I spent 2 days with pencil and scratch paper coming up with designs and an afternoon converting 1/8" ply into saw dust with no results. My obstacle was not having enough room between the pvc and the back of the cabinet for the door to swing or slide (my fault; I drilled the PVC hole too far back).

After frustration set in, I went with the easy way out and did the manual knob.

Ken

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hope it isn't too late to say thanks to Ken for these great designs--it's only been a year.. Thanks Ken!!

I actually built one of these this weekend, and I thought I'd share some pics and a bit about my experience.

The first pic is the whole cabinet. It needs wood filler over the screws, sanding, and painting (we've decided on bright red to go with the "flames" on the pachinko itself).

The second pic is the top hopper (I don't yet have Ken's cool circular inserts to divert the balls to the hole to the PVC pipe). It will hold a LOT of balls.

The third pic shows the ball return area at the bottom. In the pictures on Ken's website (again, thanks, Ken!) it looks like not only does he have a slant from back to front, but also right to left--which seems like a good idea, so I did that, too.

The fourth pic is my meager addition to the design. It's a very steep picture from above of a little ramp I added for the balls to fall onto on their way down to the main ball return area. Without that, at least on this machine, a large number of balls collect on the inside of the frame, which bugs me. The ramp also cuts down on the noise. To further reduce noise, I wrapped the ramp in a piece of "craft foam", which is this very thin foam stuff that kids these days use instead of construction paper. We most recently made a reindeer, so we had some brown left over, which is good.

I bailed on the slide gate. It was just too much work--very, very cool idea, though--I bought all the bits to make it, but gave up once everything else was done. For now I'm happy emptying the hopper should I need to open up the machine. Also, my machines are likely too close together for the pull out knob to work.

I installed the top half of the French cleat in the back of the cabinet, but didn't attach the bottom half to the wall. My machines are sitting on a table, and the extra deep base makes them very stable.

Some random pointers to those who might want to make a cabinet of their own:

--Measure your machine. This one was 20.5 inches wide, as per Ken's plans. My vintage machine, though, is 20 7/8, which would have been a real bummer to discover *after* building the cabinet.

--Measure very carefully, and look for potential sticking points. This machine fit, but there was an extra bit of hinge that made the front inch of the bottom of the machine very very snug.

--You can save yourself some ripping of small pieces (I sometimes have trouble with the thinner bits) if you buy a 3/4" square dowel or molding (I found 11/16" square) for the shelf brace and ramp support.

--If you don't mind doing a wee bit of extra math, you can stretch the cabinet bottom to 11 1/4", which is the width of a "12-inch" board. Then you don't have to rip the board down to 11", or trim the front edge of the side pieces, either. The extra quarter inch doesn't hurt when you need to reach in and grab balls, esp. if you have big hands.

--1 5/8" drywall screws are good all around, but were a little tough going into the 1/2" plywood for the bottom front lip. I used 1 1/4" #8 wood screws for those pieces.

--For the two parts of the French cleat and the bottom rear piece, I used 9 1/4" pieces instead of 8, because that's what a "10 inch" board really is, and then--say it with me--you don't have to rip the boards! And they all come out of one 6' long board.

--Finally, if you play your cards just right, you can use the whole pachinko cabinet making exercise as an excuse to buy that compound miter saw you've always wanted. But then you may have to build several cabinets to prove you really needed it. (woo hoo!)

Again, thanks to Ken for posting the great plans!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to Trey314159

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice... looks great. Please post some pix of the finished project after it is painted.

THIS PLACE ROCKS !

9. The following user says "Thanks" to computer bob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by computer bob View Post
    Very nice... looks great. Please post some pix of the finished project after it is painted.
    Will do!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Trey,

Thanks for posting the photos. Your pointers are excellent! You are right that the clearances on the plans are really close for the average machine. I think I had to use some sandpaper to squeeze my old Nishijin in.

When building anything, ~measure twice, cut once~!

Thanks again for the pics. Can't wait to see it painted. It's nice to see that folks are able to use/adapt my plans. I'm glad I was able to contribute back to the community in some way.

Ken

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ken524

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ken524 View Post
    When building anything, ~measure twice, cut once~!
    Only with my enhanced by osmosis "Tim Allen" skills, it's more like the "measure twice, then cut twice" school of thought. Which in turn led to my motto of "It's not wrong, it's a feature" which seems appropriate to just about every goof. This explains why I end up building two or more of everything; from Alpha to Beta to Accepable product.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tim 'the tool man" Taylor's motto was don't measure real men eyeball all cuts.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

15. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great plans all and timely too. I plan on going to the lumber yard and start one this weekend. Vicky needs a place to nest. I need to put a french cleat on a old wall mount too so it can be removed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've finished a second, and am planning to build a third (and maybe a fourth if I get really motivated) this weekend. We will likely buy paint this weekend, too, but may or may not get any actual painting done. Once we eventually do, I will post more pictures.

Another pointer.. if you decide to add the ramp I suggested, cut a slot out of the bottom end of it.. that way the balls fall through more easily (otherwise they build up on the ramp--not too high, but high enough that one bounces out of the back every now and again.

My wife suggested lining the bottom tray with cork--they now make cork shelf-liner.. just cut, peel, and stick. However, I'm a little worried bits of cork will stick to the balls and gum up the machine.. especially if it gets scraped by fingernails when we're getting balls out of the tray at the bottom.

I'd love to figure out some way to use the silicone baking trays suggested in another thread. They would be quiet!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Trey314159 View Post
    My wife suggested lining the bottom tray with cork--they now make cork shelf-liner.. just cut, peel, and stick. However, I'm a little worried bits of cork will stick to the balls and gum up the machine.. especially if it gets scraped by fingernails when we're getting balls out of the tray at the bottom.
    I lined the bottom of mine with those thin sheets of craft foam -I don't know what it's called. My wife uses it for Girl Scout craft projects; available in at least a dozen colors at Walmart, Michaels Crafts, Hobby Lobby, etc.

No gluing necessary. Cut it to fit and it silences the balls when then land. Works great!

Ken

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ken524

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now that is a good idea and I think it is just called craft foam. It is a little thin, but I guess it could be doubled up if needed. I was a Girl Scout Troop Leader also - 5 years
    Dawn

21. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just another thought.... I have my tool box drawers lined with this stuff from Craftsman and it keeps the noise down - I would bet if you did 2 layers of it you would be all set!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00965217000

23. The following user says "Thanks" to StuTalon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

good ideas as long as the material is durable enough to stand up to typical usage, and has little to no bounce when the balls fall onto it is a good choice. good looking and cheap helps I found that stiff rubber shop floor mat makes the balls quiet and they don't bounce at all. A mat is 4'x 6' so it will make several liners.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I lined the bottom of mine with those thin sheets of craft foam -I don't know what it's called. My wife uses it for Girl Scout craft projects; available in at least a dozen colors at Walmart, Michaels Crafts, Hobby Lobby, etc.

No gluing necessary. Cut it to fit and it silences the balls when then land. Works great!

Ken

I originally put craft foam on my ramp, which helped. I went for the cork shelf liner instead, because it sticks. I'm now making the ramps extra wide, with cut-outs in the bottom for the balls to get through (my wife's idea) and that cuts down on the noise a lot.

I think I don't want anything in the return tray at the bottom now, because I can use plastic cups to scoop balls as it is. If something was lining it, I'd probably scrape that up, too!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have padded rubberized shelf liner in all my machine cabinets and all are as quiet as one could expect. It's easy to put in place by merely cutting it to size with scissors in and does the job of softening the sound. The sound of the balls hitting the pins and dropping out of the machine is louder than when the balls hit the padded cabinet parts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cool beans
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ken
    Oh I have tons of that stuff!!
    Over here it's called 'Funky Foam' and I use it for all sorts of things......

and you can even get it in Animal Print Designs too - you could do a spot of colour co-ordinating with your Pachis......

http://www.sallysdreams.co.uk/produc...page=funkyfoam

Maybe I should experiment with it??

or maybe not as I actually LOVE the sound of the Hallowed Sphericals!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

29. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Sid

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast